May 31, 2011

cindy’s agony

It was a horrible, horrible day in Courtroom 23-A for Cindy Anthony.

I kept thinking, “Oh dear God.”   Seeing Cindy collapse on the stand as she listened to the 911 call in which she reported Caylee missing, was gut wrenching. Heart breaking.

Anyone watching Cindy – forced to relive July 15, 2008, felt her pain.  But, not Casey.  She sat there looking like black granite, stone cold, blank and hard.

It was as if Cindy was reliving the moment when she over-heard Casey telling Lee that Caylee has been missing for 31 days.  Bringing back that time was brutally painful.  Agonizing.

Cindy heard the 911 calls today.  This was probably the first time she’d heard them.

As the third 911 tape played, Cindy slouched down in her chair – collapsing under the rail of the witness stand, unable to hold her head up while dissolving into the most heart-wrenching sobs.

A trial-watcher today said that Cindy was sobbing in the courtroom bathroom during the break.  Her sobs could be heard down the halls of the courtroom.

It all came rushing back to her, it seemed, forcing her to accept the cruel reality of Caylee’s death; Casey’s guilt.

Who could walk in her shoes?

There but for the grace of God go I.

I realized today why Cindy Anthony was living in denial for so long.  She needed to live in her own dream world, where time stood still, or went backwards to a time when hope would spring eternal for Caylee, the love of her and George’s life.

The stark difference between Cindy’s heart-wrenching agony, and the bland-hearted stare of Casey Anthony was so unbelievable and surely not lost on the jury.

The Cross Examination

I saw some of Jose Baez’ cross examination.  He did not disappoint and did his level best to help the State of Florida make their case.

Baez threw into Cindy’s face questions about Casey’s imaginary friends.   Baez wanted the jury to know how odd Cindy was to continue to believe in “Zanny the Nanny,” suggesting that Cindy Anthony was a lot like Casey, in that respect.

In fact, Baez asked her a couple of times, “aren’t you and Casey a lot alike?”   Now, was he suggesting that Cindy is somehow disturbed like her daughter?  What was the point of that line of questioning?  There was no point.

Oh, Baez did not disappoint today. He was his usual self, though not as hard on Cindy as he was on George.  He knew better than to destroy Cindy who was already destroyed.  He could kiss his defense good-bye if he attacked Cindy.

Why did Baez have to keep saying “Zanny the Nanny” in his cynical way, even after Cindy explained that Casey called her Zanny?

Baez just has to get little “digs” into people.  He is not happy unless he’s editorializing, making fun of witnesses, trying to show how smart he is – what a good, dramatic lawyer he is.  The truth is, he was, unbelievably, even more ineffective today.

Baez would like the jurors to see a disturbed Cindy, and a deviant George.  The jury, however, will say, “No, Mr. Baez,  Casey Anthony, your client, is a monster.

Listen to Casey’s jail call, which the jurors heard today, and you’ll learn all you need about how Casey Anthony ran the Anthony’s lives until she finally destroyed it.

Today was so difficult to watch…. I am so sorry for Cindy and George Anthony.

I had trouble watching Cindy testify.

It is difficult to write about it.

About these ads
  1. Rob
    May 31 2011

Andrea, Cindy is a broken woman. How sad to watch a person who is so fragile, endure all that she has. Her heart is in a million pieces. When Baez had her stand down, and look at Casey to comment on her body size today versus when Casey was pregnant ——I was hoping he would trip and fall on his big fat derriere. The man is vile. An interesting observation today was Casey taking a tissue and rubbing the skin under her eyes to make them appear red and swollen. She uses such force that I thought it had to be painful. Also, when the jury was out for a few moments she was grasping her nose, with a tissue to make it appear red, as if she had been crying. The contemptuous looks she gave her mother were pure evil. A journalist who was in court observed that Casey’s chair seat is adjusted to the lowest level, making her appear even smaller than she is. The defense is staging her to appear vulnerable. When you have the time, make note of how much lower her body is compared to any one sitting next to her. Yes, Baez thinks he is a great showman, however he doesn’t realize this isn’t a made for TV drama; it is people’s lives he is destroying.

• May 31 2011

Everytime she does that to her eyes I half expect one of them to pop out! :???:

I bet it was Baez that told Casey to starve herself just for the line of questioning with Cindy concerning the pregnancy. Then wear the tight fitting blouse.

• Jun 1 2011

LOL – seeing Baez fall on his derriere would truly be poetic justice, given that he’s been falling on it symbolically all this time.
      And, I hadn’t noticed the eye-rubbing bit, or that she’s on the lowest chair…. isn’t that interesting!
      Thanks for the tip my tipster friend! :)

• kathy mcferrin
      Jun 1 2011

Jose Baez is just despicable..i really hope he screws himself royally he has never seemed like a “real” lawyer to me..more like a jerk who got “lucky “to be involved in this high profile case..I just can not stand that guy…

2. May 31 2011

Here is Bill Shaeffer’s take on today’s proceedings:

• Jun 1 2011

Sherry… Thanks – loved it = he’s the best there is.

3. CptKD
    May 31 2011

I ve no wonder that this post was difficult to write. . . It was such a tough day all around. . . Well for everyone except Inmate X! Baez was smacked down so many times, I m suprised he still feels ok with showing his face any where near that court house. . . Not to mention his slip that may bring in the Inmate s felony convictions. . . What a dumb-azz! PS- Weezie you have mail. I Forgot to mention yesterday. Pls check your JUNK folder.

• Jun 1 2011

Oh yeah, CptKD! How about that slip of his! I only realized that late last evening and I thought, it figures! See! He has NO BUSINESS being in that courtroom defending a DP case. grrrrrr

4. Nina
    May 31 2011

I agree with Rob…Cindy is truley broken …It just broke my heart seeing her today..She has been though a living hell..Casey has no feelings,just for herself..Watching her while her mother was on stand, and seeing that cold hateful look ,made me want to jump through the T.V and literally shake the hell right out of her. What Casey has done to her family is unforgiveable..Cindy no longer looks at Casey the same way..I see it in Cindys eyes………….I do believe Casey see’s the reality now..No more lies,no more manipulating her mother,it finally over….

5. May 31 2011

Andrea sez:
    In fact, Baez asked her a couple of times, “aren’t you and Casey a lot alike?” Now, was he suggesting that Cindy is somehow disturbed like her daughter? What was the point of that line of questioning? There was no point.

The point was to say that Casey and Cindy both had denial about Caylee’s death. Like you said, “There was no point.” Not one that would make any difference for Casey in a positive way. With Cindy, its not understandable for her to disbelieve her granddaughter died at her daughter’s hands. She trusted her daughter. For Casey, its not OK-she is Caylee’s mother. If anything, Casey should have been a wreck over her daughter’s demise. There should be nothing to smile about! I’m trying to see it from the jurors’ vantage point. I’m still cautious about Cindy and George. I do have respect for them for what they are going through-like Jesse Grund said, “Despite all they have done, they are still grieving grandparents.”

• May 31 2011

Correction: With Cindy, its not understandable… should read: With Cindy, its understandable…

6. May 31 2011

Andrea, you are an excellent writer, my dear. As I read along, I can visualize what you are portraying for us. I cried along with Cindy today and I think anyone with an ounce of compassion must have too. Not often I feel like getting violent but today I felt like mopping up the floor with Casey. She is delighting in Cindy’s agony. I wont mention what I would like to do with Baez. It is hard to fathom just how cruel some people can be.

• Jun 1 2011

Ah, thank you my dear…. I cried along with her, too. I felt her pain. The tragedy of this for she and George is not less than Shakespeare’s tragedies… It’s unthinkable what they are suffering, and continue to suffer…..

7. May 31 2011

Andrea sez:
    Baez just has to get little “digs” into people. He is not happy unless he’s editorializing, making fun of witnesses, trying to show how smart he is – what a good, dramatic lawyer he is. The truth is, he was, unbelievably, even more ineffective today.

Yes! To the point where its possible Casey’s prior bad acts can be introduced thanks to him opening the door! The dufus! :???:

Well, HHJP did say that he will listen to each side about introducing Casey Anthony to the jury as a felon. He has done it before in another DP case as Bill Shaeffer stated in the video posted above.

• Jun 1 2011

Hey Sherry! It serves the baboon right! And, I think it will come in, like the Judge said, he’d done this before in the Huggins case he judged…. he knows the score on that one… OMG… I have to high-tail it outta here and get to work! byeeeeeeeeeeeee

8. Whistlersmother
    May 31 2011

There is a lot to learn about in this trial. And I don’t mean legal jargon. This is a true story of betrayal, what our hearts can handle, what empathy means, forgiveness and supporting those around us. As I have said before, nothing that Cindy has done will ever make me feel that she asked for this. Cindy and George were the best parents that they were able to, now it might not be up to our standards but they tried. This girl, Casey, is bad to the bone. She came that way. Cindy did not make her hard, callous and cold. She came that way. Some people are created that way, none of us know why, only God does. Sure glad I am not the one at the pearly gates judging all of my brothers and sisters as they finish their life on earth. This is what we learn today in the trial.

• Jun 1 2011

I am going to be late to work if I don’t get off this computer, but I did want to thank you, whistlersmother, for your lovely comments…. so beautifully written and so true….

• kathy mcferrin
      Jun 2 2011

I totally agree with Whistlersmother…I had (emphasis on HAD…) a friend who was just the most negative,angry and hateful person..as I got to know her I came to the realization that she is simply a “bad seed”..and had been since she was a very little girl…it got so bad that I finally had to end the friendship because it was just impossible to deal with her…some people are just born with something “off” and as I found with my now ex friend..no amount of caring and trying to help was enough..she was a bottomless pit and totally self consumed….even down to the constant unpleasant expression on her face..so much like Casey now that I am watching the trial..finally having the nerve to sever the relationship…..
      I DO think Casey is seriously f’ed up..but I don’t care….she needs to be held accountable for Caylee’s death…..On the other hand..I do NOT think she premeditated this..I think it was some form of neglect and likely an accident….but she should never see the outside of a prison ever again in my opinion!

9. Linda
    Jun 1 2011

Hi Andrea, First I want to say I think George and Cindy were willing to purger themselves to save their daughter, but the spiteful bitch Casey took it up a notch when she decided to put all the blame on them…. She gave them no choice but to save themselves.
    The first jail house call said it ALL…… I bet the jurors couldn’t believe what they were hearing….What is Mason thinking? Does he want Baez to fail? I think Baez loves the limelife…..he looks and sounds so ridiculous.. Whistlers mother have no fear darling for you will never see Casey Anthonys face at the pearlygates…..

10. Nina
    Jun 1 2011

Baez is vile.crude and cruel..All the allegations what were made about George and Lee ,he should put Casey on stand ….After all, its her word against theirs… So I would love to hear her story..Who would even believe her,even if there was a chance she was telling the truth.(unlikely story,another nasty lie..Baez is looking for anything he can think of to keep Casey from getting the DP…He doesnt care who he brings down or hurts..After this trial is over and Casey goes to prison for the rest of her sorry life.he needs to make a public apology ..He is another one that has the smirk on his face some times that I would like to slap off him….Arrogant and and cruel ..Sometimes I wonder if he really knows the truth in what happened to Caylee ,but went with the pool accident,just to keep Casey from getting the DP..Personally,I would like more then anything for her to spend the rest of her life in prison..

11. Jun 1 2011

Good morning! I hope everyone had a chance to rest a bit. I think we are in for another stress filled day.

I just hope Baez packed extra ‘clothing’ today ;)

• CptKD
      Jun 1 2011

Including ‘dumb-azz’ sized
      DIAPERS!!!!

12. damagdpets
    Jun 1 2011

I remember during the Frye hearings Baez asking if he would do anything to save his daughter even if it meant not coming to court and George said he would. This was profound at the time. I wonder in preparation for the case to begin if the prosecution dropped subtle hints to the Anthony’s about perjury and obstruction. We have noticed that the anger is now turned toward the defense. Did the defense not think about what would happen when they accused George and Lee with sexual abuse? Today Lee was on the stand fro approx. 2 hours and the defense did everything possible to keep him from testifying. I have been trying to figure out why they did this and what may be coming as a result of this tactic. There was not much for him to say that Cindy had not already said. So, makes me wonder what trick the defense might think they have….

OH Boy, Yuri is taking the stand…the defense can’t move this guy!

13. Weezie
    Jun 1 2011

Hi Andrea; I didn’t want to let you think I was staying away. I just wanted to sign in and let all the posts here come to my inbox so I can give feedback. Thanks. I didint’ watch today, because I always get frustrated with Lee.

• CptKD
      Jun 2 2011

Weezie – You have mail!
      Check your Junk folder for me… PLS!

• Weezie
        Jun 4 2011

Cap. Just got home from Niagara on the Lake. Can you resend your email please. I don’t see it in the junk box or my inbox. Thanks and I hope you are feeling better too.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 460 other followers