June 10, 2011

Homicide

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There’s no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die.  ~  Dr. Jan Garavaglia

Today’s testimony, in the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony, was powerful and compelling. Things are going downhill fast for Casey Anthony – and she knows it.

Okay.  So, the defense has not told its side of the story yet and the tide may turn, though it’s very unlikely.  For one reason, today’s testimony by the determined Dr. Jan Garavaglia, Chief Medical Examiner of Orange and Oseola Counties, clearly dispelled any question about an accidental death, or a drowning in this case.

Doubt is Doubt, and Reason means Reason

If there was any inkling of reasonable doubt in anyone’s mind that Casey Anthony was responsible for the murder of the darling Caylee Anthony, today totally squashed any doubt.

How could anyone have a doubt who’s responsible  for Caylee’s murder after today?

Homicide

Dr. G. laid down the circumstances surrounding the cause of death and the manner of death so brilliantly today.

It was ironic that the most powerful pieces of Dr. G’s opinions and findings were given during the defense’s cross examination!

Cheney Mason asked Dr. G. open ended questions and she ran with them!  She was able to discuss drowning accidents, too. (Oh, how many of us were cheering her on?!)

Dr. G. told Cheney Mason that drownings are an unfortunate reality in her world.  But, 100 percent of the time in these cases, 911 is called in an effort and hope that the child can be saved.  100 percent of the time!

And Cheney Mason asks Dr. G., “Well, what if the child is obviously dead?”  Dr. G. responds by saying, in essence: There is always a chance the child could be saved, so people dial 911.

During direct testimony with Prosecutor, Jeff Ashton, she was asked if she had an opinion in regards to the manner of death.  “Yes,” she said, and goes on to say:

Homicide. It’s based on three main things. When a child isn’t reported, that’s something we look for; for foul play.

The body was hidden, also the body is also in a closed container, a suitcase or a bag, like this one was. The last would be the duct tape, located somewhere on the lower half of the face.

Although, Dr. G’s examination of Caylee’s remains could not yield the means of Caylee’s death, she told the jury that the preponderance of the evidence leads to the only logical conclusion: Homicide, based on the three main factors, discussed earlier.

Surely the jury has figured out that drowning is not a likely scenario in this case.

What is the Jury Thinking?!

I often think about the day the case is handed to the jury -  putting myself in their shoes, I imagine they’ll be so relieved to finally be able to discuss the case, after keeping silent about the testimony for so long. And then I wonder if, after the selection of a Foreman, will they take a straw vote regarding the First Degree Murder charge?

• Not Guilty?  Raise your hand.  No one moves.
  • Guilty?  Raise your hand?   All hands quickly spring up!

That’s my dream scenario, anyway – and I would not be surprised if a verdict is quick in this case.

But, the Defense will Have its Dog Day Afternoon

The defense case has not been heard, that’s true.  But, what can they argue?

They will try to dismiss Dr. G’s testimony with testimony from Dr. Spitz – but it won’t work.  He’s pompous and unlikeable and the jury will not believe him – that’s my prediction, anyway.

The defense will try to use Robyn Adams to discuss Casey’s sexual allegations against George and Lee.  I predict that will fall flat, if it’s even allowed at all.  Casey’s letters are not evidence unless Casey testifies because the letters are self-serving, therefore inadmissible.

The defense will bring back all the State’s witnesses and they will try to discredit or impeach them.

So, jurors will have to weigh the evidence before them.  However, given what we have seen from the defense up to today, it looks very bad.  And, much of it is Jose Baez’ fault.

Will the Defense Case be Fun?!

Cheney Mason famously said, in regards to trying this case, “It will be fun.”

Did it look like Mr. Mason was having fun today as Dr. G destroyed the defense case?  I don’t think so!

Cheney Mason also predicted that he’d walk out of the courtroom “arm in arm with Casey.”

Okaaaaay!

About these ads
  1. Sweetpea626
    Jun 10 2011

Dr. G was on the money today…Wow

2. melanie
    Jun 10 2011

i was def cheering on Dr. G , especially during cross examination.IMO she finally said out loud what everyone else in that courtroom is thinking!THERE IS NO REASON WHY AN ACCIDENTAL DROWNING WOULD BE 1) COVERED UP AND THE BODY TOSSED
    2)DUCT TAPE PLACED ON THE CHILDS MOUTH OR FACE! and as she said just the fact that she didnt call 911 makes us suspect foul play!That’s what I have been saying since i first heard little caylee was missing and her MOTHER didnt report her missing for 31 days.I find it hard to believe that the jury will find any “reasonable” doubt in this case!

• Jun 10 2011

Dr. G. did say it perfectly!

I, too, find it hard to believe there is any reasonable doubt! When Baez presents the defense side, he’ll seal the no reasonable doubt deal! lol!

BTW, I heard a good one today and its being passed around the blogs (I have no idea who gets the credit but they said it right!):

Dr. G. gave Caylee a voice today and Dr. Warren gave her a face.
      That dear sweet child is going to have justice real soon!~

• Weezie
      Jun 11 2011

And let’s not forget it could have been a lot longer than 31 days if it wasn’t for Cindy chasing Casey down.

3. whistlersmother
    Jun 11 2011

Just when I think it cannot get any worse for the defense…The sun rises again and another day brings more bad news for them. I have been a Court Tv junkie for years and I have never seen anything like this-even Scott Peterson’s trial was not as bad as this-but then again he had competent counsel!

4. damagdpets
    Jun 11 2011

Dr. G testified today no different than the previous times I have seen before. She knows what she is doing and can eat up any defense attorney like she has done in the past. Casey and the “one” tissue that lasts for 8 hours is getting a little old. I don’t get why Sims is there to be a nurse maid and not being used for what she is supposed to be known for. After watching Casey and her looks when the jury is in and when the jury is out, very telling. The phrase that goes round and round in my head is the one that Baez said….”there’s something wrong”…..you betcha…Casey may have had a running for an Academy Award when she was lying to friends and family but has turned out to be less than a B actress in the court room. Today it was said that the jury was not paying much attention to what Casey was blubbering about and more toward the testimony of the witnesses. I am guessing that they have figured casey and her acting out. I agree whith Baez…there is something wrong….it will only get worse when he has no one to put on the stand that will qualify the accident scenario and the sexual abuse that was claimed. The only person that can qualify the scenario is Casey. She has lied about evreything from the onset. Could it be possible that she would tell the truth now?……Na…No….Nix….we all know it would be bullshit!

5. Linda
    Jun 11 2011

Hi Andrea, I can’t wait for the defense witnesses. Will it be more stories or facts? I have a feeling that they will be just theories. Will he paint George and Cindy as the guilty ones? Will he be so jubilant to take center stage that he will royally screw up and open the door to Caseys proir bad acts? Baez better stay home and study his law books instead of speaking into his wifes hair brush in front of a mirror, because the prosecution is watching his every move..

Andrea, I have come to the conclusion that Casey never bonded with her child because if she did she could of never discarded her like a piece of thrash, not only that but the reason she got rid of her was because Caylee started to stink up her car.. She was more upset by the smell in her car than she was of HER dead child…….How very sad..

6. Jun 11 2011

Hi Andrea, i know you are against the death penalty but i think you might or could change your mind if you saw what i just saw on the caylee daily. The skull of caylee didn’t look like a skull to me as it didn’t show any eye sockets or facial features, but what knocked me to my knees was Caylee’s hair. Lot’s of it and all matted laying by itself not attached to the skull, like some horrible rattey wig. it really took me so aback it was almost like i could feel Caylee’s presence. It sounds so weird but it is hard to describe what went over me and is still with me and most likely will be for a very long time. It just made Caylee more real. If i myself had ever been against the death penalty this would change me to be for it. How Casey could be so evil to that baby is beyond my wildest imagination. When she was bailed out by Leonard Padilla she was sleeping in her parents house knowing Caylee was lieing 15 houses down rotting with bugs, animals, snakes, eating on her and carrying her off piece by piece. She was baking brownies for her arse lawyer Baez the very next day. The word Monster is not even a strong enough word to fit now. I cannot believe simms would coddle this merciless killer and anyone that defends her will surely be in trouble at their death as they too know what their client is.

7. Laurali
    Jun 11 2011

Dr. G did an amazing job! Mason the old southern gentleman needs to learn to just sit down while he is ahead. But I am so glad he didn’t, he pushed Dr. G and obviously did not like the outcome.

Jose never thought his clients defense out. He ran with his accident, cover up, molesting and then body snatching theory. Did he forget his client made an “accident” look like a murder? I have heard of people making murder look like an accident but never the other way around. They need to just plea Casey out.

• Weezie
      Jun 11 2011

Good one Larual1. How the heck are you. Haven’t seen your lovley name in a while. Life treating well? I have tried and tried to get into Dave’s Orlando Mag and it won’t let me in? I emailed him and haven;t heard back. I know he is busy. I will have to call him perhaps. I always love your outlook on things. TTYL

8. katydid
    Jun 11 2011

I saw a program on Dr. G once and she stated that she speaks for those who can no longer speak….and the worst cases she ever works on are the cases that involve children.

9. Weezie
    Jun 11 2011

Andrea my dear. Great post. It was a great day and now today was also pretty great. Casey would not look at the screen when they showed 3 D images of the area. She is plainly using her last bit of energy to psych the jurors, but it aint working.

• Jun 11 2011

Hi Weezie! Thanks a bunch…. Yes, wasn’t that interesting that Casey couldn’t look at the area of Suburban drive and yet she had NO problem looking at Caylee’s bedroom?????

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 460 other followers