January 6, 2012

Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch (of 3 Herons)

This week’s challenge is about finding a photo, or photos, that say launch.

Last year, early one morning, there were three lovely Herons on the bank of the canal, in my backyard.  I tiptoed out, camera in hand, to see if I could capture them as they enjoyed the quiet morning, side by side.

I managed to capture this first photo without their knowing it, but it took only moments for them to know I was there:

In this photo, the one in the middle is just beginning to sense my presence:

And, in the very next moment, the guy in the middle is unnerved and probably says to the others, as he’s launching, “Hey Buds, I’m not sticking around,” as he readies himself for take off:

And there he goes:

Now that number one is gone, number two is getting out of Dodge, and number three is right on his heels, or rather wings, getting ready for take off:

And here’s the last glimpse of number three, as he’s heading out of the frame and on his way:

About these ads
  1. Jan 6 2012

WOW! These are great! Every one of them!!! I know that you’ve got to be sneaky with herons. I’ve tried to photograph some in the past, looking for that certain shot. As my luck had it, they usually see me before I see them. These are really beautiful shots, Andrea, and I love what you’ve done to them!

• Jan 7 2012

Hi Kitt, Thanks so much! I was disappointed they hadn’t stuck around long enough for me to get a couple of good shots of them… and when I saw these shots, at the time I almost deleted them until I realized they were funny and so telling of their reaction to people! By the way, I just downloaded GIMP and it’s fantastic! I don’t really know how to use it, but I’ve been playing with it most of the night…trying to get the hang of it. :)

2. Jan 6 2012

I love Herons, but they are so hard to get close enough to for a good shot. well done!!

• Jan 7 2012

Thanks Brenda! They really are tough to get close to – no matter how quiet you are, they have eyes and ears in the back of their heads I guess…. doesn’t take them too long to take off, and they are faaaassst, too!

3. Jan 6 2012

Wonderful photos.

4. Jan 6 2012

This is real nice!!

5. Jan 7 2012

Great entry for this week theme :)

6. Jan 7 2012

The theme taken to it’s full meaning, well done.

7. Jan 7 2012

I never get this close well done!

• Jan 7 2012

Hi Gilly… Well, I had the ole zoom lens on the camera when I crept out the door.

8. Jan 7 2012

First look..they seemed like pastel shades..loved it!

• Jan 7 2012

Yup, I wanted a mix of pastel and shimmer… I just downloaded a new software called GIMP – it’s just like PhotoShop but… It’s totally FREE! So, I’ll be able to do much more artsy manipulations soon….

9. Jan 7 2012

love your herons! but on another topic, I am nominating you for the Seven x Seven Link award, see here http://wp.me/p1kP6q-tc … so just ignore it with a little smile, or pass it on! Christine

• Jan 7 2012

Thank you soooo much! I am very honored that you’d think of me – now I get to have some fun and nominate, too! Yay!

10. Jan 8 2012

Beautiful!

11. Amar Naik
    Jan 8 2012

nicely captured

12. Jan 9 2012

love what you did with these – how do find gimp – i downloaded it but still find it very confusing

• Jan 10 2012

Hey Jo, I know what you mean about GIMP. It’s not at all easy. I’m just playing with it – trial and error right now. My buddy, Kitt, mentioned another free software she likes….(she’s who told me about GIMP). I can’t remember the other one, but I’ll find it and let you know if it’s easier…. :)

13. Jan 9 2012

These are some great photos :)

14. Jan 12 2012

beautiful… I love the artistic touch

• Jan 12 2012

Hi Maggie! Thank you so much… It’s funny, the photos as-is are kind of boring… the colors did liven the up and enhance the story, much to my surprise and delight!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch… | Mirth and Motivation
  2. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch « Flickr Comments by FrizzText
  3. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch « aRVee
  4. Launch (Weekly Photo Challenge 2012) « Cardinal Guzman
  5. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch « Cee's Life Photography Blog
  6. Hurtled to 60 and Now Beyond…
  7. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch « An Uneducated Palate
  8. Weekly Photo Challenge – Launch .. | melonpopzdropz …
  9. Masquerading Our Way In 2012 | this man's journey
  10. Launch Up Others in 2012! « Simply Charming
  11. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch « Mike Hardisty Photography
  12. Weekly Photo Challenge – Launch.. | melonpopzdropz …
  13. Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch | Stories of My Wandering Feet & Mind
  14. Anti-gravity: Weekly Photo Challenge (Launch) « aNTibaKTeRiYeL

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 481 other followers