August 23, 2009

why we have to care

caylee with heart stickerThe popularity and interest in the Casey Anthony case defies logic to some people.  Have you noticed that?

Have you been asked “why do you care”, too?  Or maybe you’ve asked yourself why.  Maybe your husband or wife asked you, “So, why the obsession with this case?”

I have been asked.

Recently a good friend of mine – curious about my interest  – pressed me for an answer.   She said:

“With all the unrest in the world, all the turmoil, strife – all the heartache and misery that surrounds us each and every day – unemployment, the economy, the environment, not to mention the fact that every day so many children die or go missing in this country – why are you so interested in this case?   Aren’t you just getting caught up in the media hype that you believe created this circus in the first place?  You could be blogging about so many other things, why this case?”

It got me to thinking about what is really important to me.   And I fully realized that somehow I have fit this case into my life – in an important space in my life.

There are many reasons why this case fascinates me.  The first of which is I am obsessed about seeing justice for a little child that I don’t know but fell in love with just the same.

And I wonder how you would answer?  Are you a little obsessed, too?  Are we all a little obsessed?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on why we have to care.  What intrigues you and keeps you interested in the case?

If you’d like to share your thoughts and start a conversation here, any comments you make will automatically post.  (Comments will only be moderated if necessary.)

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

1. laura
    Aug 23 2009

I think most including myself become “obsessed” because of the family. It seems that they have turned their backs on Caylee. I was young when I had my first (19) and I never did half the crap Casey has done. I think for me it is me looking out for a two year old who has been forgotten because everyone is trying to save her mother who le thinks killed her. Caylee was not given the chance to live and when she went “missing” her mother partied, got tattoo, and was stealing from her friend. She was so busy going on with her life she forgot to call 911 and report the baby missing. Why are you obsessed?

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Hi Laura,
      Yes, I really am obsessed with the idea of justice for little Caylee. I want her soul to find peace. I fell in love with her, like so many others here, when I saw her at the nursing home with her book, and sitting on her great-grandfathers lap and saying “papa” so sweetly… I honestly think that Caylee was just an “object” to Casey, and I knew right away, as soon as I heard she never reported the child missing for 31 days that she had certainly done something, though I held out hope that she’d given the child away, or secretely put her up for adoption.

I am facinated by the case… I follow every detail – it’s like a jigsaw puzzle and it’s difficult to keep up with (when life gets in the way) but, I need to see this to the end. I want to see the grandparents face reality, how they can stand so rigidly behind Casey and proclaim her innocence now is just awful. (Support thier daughter, but see the truth is what I want to scream to them.) George knew from the get-go that she (Casey) did something with the child.. He is on record in LE statements saying so… how will he now turn around and say, oops.. sorry, I was mistaken bacl then… Nope. Not gonna fly.

All the best Laura,
      andrea

2. j
    Aug 23 2009

The very first time I heard about Caylee I remember turning to my husband and telling him that the mother killed her. I wanted to be wrong. Hoped I was wrong. But the more that came out, the more I knew I wasn’t. No mother would wait 5 minutes to call police much less 31 days. I was also very young when I had my first (14). Being a mother at 14, was very difficult. But the moment you find out you are pregnant you have to start living for your child not for yourself. I want to understand what would make a mother, of any age, do this to her child. I believe Casey is a sociopath. I want to understand if she was born that way or was a product of her environment (not that it would excuse it). I believe if we can understand why this happened maybe we can keep it from happening again. Caylee should have been the only thing that was truly important to this family. But she seems to have been forgotten by the people who were suppose to be her protectors. Caylee needs someone to be her voice and demand justice. These are just a few of the reasons I became “obsessed” with Caylee. Rest in peace, Sweetheart.

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Hi J.
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts… I know how you feel…. one of the reasons that drew me so passionately to this case was the fact that I have a niece the same age as Caylee….If my niece were missing for five minutes, our entire family – everyone – would know… And the fact that that whole family knew how sick Casey was yet they let her go on and lie and lie and lie – they knew there was no nanny! They knew (George said he knew) that Casey didn’t have a job!!!

It’s unbelievable… She never lived outside of her own family’s home and they didn’t wonder???? She had no responsiblity for herself or for her behavior. She didn’t finish high school, she stole constantly, she spoke to her parents as if she was a sailor – cussed a blue streak at them, and on and on…

Even Cindy denies the truth and decided that Casey was not pregnant when everyone who saw her knew she was.
      It’s like they live in a house of cards – a house and a world of lies. Heck, remember what casey’s own words were: “I will lie, I will cheat, I will do anything…” Well, sure enough she has. So they all have.

Best, Andrea

3. Aug 23 2009

My interest in the case began when Cindy said the smell in the trunk was pizza that had maggots on it. Heard that on Nancy Grace, someone I’ve never got into watching, but channel surfed that night and heard Cindy’s words. What kept me interested was that Casey was lying about everything and I kept thinking that she would crack and confess likeSusan Smith did. While waiting for that I fell in love with precious Caylee and lost all respect for her family. And I’m still waiting for the confession!
    I’ve wanted to clear all my bookmarked articles and blogs on this case many times. I just can’t do it! I want to see Casey get convicted and Caylee get the justice due her. No matter how long it takes. I’m just glad to meet up with some of the best people in blogdom whom I affectionately call “Caylee’s Friends”.
    Hi, Laura! 😉

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Coreysmom: You know, I wondered if she’d eventually crack, too. I just wonder how she can put it all out of her mind and live with herself? It must be the sociopath’s mindset that allows that to happen. The criminal mind is a scary thing.

I agree with you – isn’t it nice to have met so many lovely and caring people as a result of this case? If nothing else, how our paths have crossed here is nice. If there can be any postive out of this horror, the new friends would be it.

Best,
      Andrea

4. laura
    Aug 23 2009

Hi Coreysmom. Might I add after having my daughter I had 3 more daughters and have two college degrees. Children don’t have to be little snot heads they can be your new fun life. It is hard work something Casey knew nothing about.

5. Nina
    Aug 23 2009

I guess my obession was also this family.And the fact that a mother could do the things Casey did during the time she claimed her child was missing…It seemed to unreal to even believe..Then came that 911 call from Cindy..The grandmother,not Casey..She never mentioned this child was missing(which we knew was a lie from the very beginning,(I can say, I never believed Caylee was missing, from day one..All the lies,the goose chase she put LE though,the partying,the tattoo,stealing,shopping with stolen money,the list just goes on and on and on…It is just unbelievable…But the worst was not even reporting her child missing ….Casey showed no feeling at all…Now that spoke volumes to me…Then you have Cindy and George proclaiming Casey’s innocence.(which i believe they know Casey did it…What about Caylee,who is defending her? .Strangers, that grew to love her that she never met instead of her own family…What does that say about Cindy and George..It says alot to me …Caylee never stood a chance and that is the saddest part of all..How can they even sleep at night with visions of how Caylee was found due to what Casey had done to her..How can they still defend that monster!.

6. Hilde
    Aug 23 2009

My reason for caring about this case is the following:
    I watched the Case from the very Beginning and was hoping they would find Caylee.
    It didn’t take too long to figure out something bad has happened to Caylee. There were too many conflicting stories coming from Casey which didn’t make any sense whatsoever.
    Then the Evidence start coming in pointing to what I thought early on after Casey got caught in one lie after another, that Casey A. is responsible for what ever happened to her Daughter. This Case got very frustrating over time and the Circus started to develop with a lot of players coming out of the woodwork. Caylee seemed to got lost in the Shuffle between all the Lies and the Creed amongst some of the players. All at once it was all about Casey and her Rights and George and Cindy with their Game Plans to save their poor Daughter Casey which in their Words was such a loving mother and never could harm her Daughter. Give me a Break, are they talking about Casey? I think deep down they know better.

This Case has been dragged out seems like forever.
    I started from the Beginning now I would like to see Justice finally done in the End for Caylee who was murdered and dumped like Trash.

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Hey Hilde!
      I agree with you… I hoped and tried so hard to believe that Casey was really just a poor sick girl who needed help, I thought at the beginning that she was too “normal” looking to be a murderer and so I hope and prayed that Caylee was in someone’s loving arms. Little did we all know her little soul had already left us. I think that we all just hoped and hoped and fell so desperately in love with the idea that she was still alive – no one could fathom that a mother could actually kill her only child. In truth, the mind can’t reconcile or compute that…. it is beyond the beyond of anything we could imagine….

I absolutely know that deep down the Anthony’s know she did this….just like Casey knows deep down she did it, too. The family is too sick to come to grips with this… they don’t seem to have the ability to face reality and clearly believe they are above the law – smarter than the law. They are in for a hard fall.

All the best, Hilde!
      Hugs,
      Andrea

7. Hilde
    Aug 23 2009

btw. it doesn’t bother me if people think it is an obsession, that is their opinion,everyone has one, big deal.
    I feel like if you want to follow this case, you can, if you rather not know what is going on in this case, that is ok too.
    myself it touches my heart if any child gets abused/killed.
    I raised two children and have two grand children, so yes
    it bothers me when i come across a case like this or so many others and i want the perpetrator to take the consequences
    for their actions and i like to see justice done in each and every case not just this one.This Case is just became a high profile case, that doesn’t mean that all the other children which are still missing or killed aren’t any less important.
    JMO

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Hilde,

I know what you’re saying and it doesn’t bother me one bit either to be obsessed with this case. I get deeply involved in many criminal cases – but this one is different. This one is more maddening than even the OJ case… And, it’s because of Caylee herself that makes us all want justice so desperately. And, surely, I agree that every single missing child is just as important as Caylee – you are absolutely correct, Hilde! No argument there.

All the best,
      Hugs,
      andrea

8. Molly
    Aug 24 2009

I got hooked right in the beginning, in July. I never watched Nancy Grace before & don’t know how I ended up on her show one day. The first thing I heard was that Casey had not called the police for 31 days. I immediately thought she did it. Then all the lies, the stories , the nanny, casey’s actions & demeanor. I was shocked, amazed, in disbelief at what I was hearing from casey, then later the whole family. I watched NG, Greta & any other news channel that was covering it. I’ve cried so many times watching Caylee singing or talking to her books. So innocently enjoying her life like a sweet little child does. Yes, along with so many others I fell in love with her for the precious little girl she was & to follow it thru so that justice is brought forth in her name against the one that so nonchalantly took her from this earth & discarded her like . . . . . taking out the trash.

All of the lies, all of the people in & out of this saga, the Anthony’s behavior all make this interesting & spellbinding in a shocking, unbelievable & many times frustrating way. You never know what is going to happen next with the players in this (and that includes the lawyers). You couldn’t make this stuff up if you were the best writer in the world.

I never blogged before and I’m so glad I fell upon the bloggers here to chat about this case. So many nice people & with great ideas, thorough researching & providing information the minute it comes out.

I never followed any other case before like this, not OJ Peterson, spector or any others. Yes, I’m obsessed with this one.

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Hi Molly!
      Thanks so much for sharing your views here. One of the things that totally and completely convinced me was that horrible call she made to her home the first night she was in jail. That call alone would convince a jury!!! She yells and swears at her mother, she is rude to her brother – who is rude right back. And she has absolutely NO thought of Caylee, she even dismisses her friend for crying about Caylee, remember she says “Waste, what a Waste” meaning it was a waste for her to call to get a little help or sympathy because the family is concerned with Caylee not her!!! Words cannot express the disgust I felt upon hearing that tape. But, I am glad she made that call, because that is the real Casey Anthony – a narcissist in pure form if there ever was one. The jury will hear that and see her in living color.

So glad you found this site… hope you’ll come back!

Best, Andrea

9. Id'claire
    Aug 24 2009

Along with everyone else, I thought there were too many unanswered questions. Then the case seemed to develop into a special case. It seemed that the Anthonys were getting special treatment.

Would all this have gone down the same if this family were minorities, or of a different class? Would LE have sung and danced as much with the Anthonys? Wouldn’t this case be wrapped up by now?

The answer to this particular question came early…yes, this was a special case, even tho’ it probably shouldn’t be. Yes, it’s hard to get a conviction on a beautiful young white female, so more t’s have to be crossed and i’s dotted. That’s just the way it is.

But there are other unanswered questions. So the saga becomes an unfinished book, a close game in the forever final minutes, a lost phone call…..

• Andrea
      Aug 24 2009

Hi Claire!
      You hit the nail on the head… it’s going to be down to the finish line for us – it is just too perplexing for any of us to put away now… there are too many unknowns, as you point out.

In regards to your musing about minorities or race as it relates to the interst in this case…. I really think that LE would have treated this case just the same despite the characters involved. I would like to believe, need to believe, that LE gave this their all as a result of the media coverage that put thier office smack dab in the middle of the spotlight. And, in reality, it’s the media driving this circus machine. It is the media who petitions for release of the documents… Even though in Florida we have the “sunshine law” which ensures that LE or court records are made public, upon request. But, this law is generally not pursued in reality… it’s a law that’s there, but most lawyers that I’ve spoken to about this case tell me they have never seen the records law taken to the extreme that is has been taken in the Anthony case. It’s the media – they are ensuring we get all the documentation, tapes, videos, etc.. They are very clever. They know the fasination with the case drives people to thier station or paper, or website. It’s a win-win for them. Regardless, I am glad we are able to have this window into the case. It’s as fascinating as it is tragic.

All the best,
      Andrea

• Aug 25 2009

It was Baez’ daughter, Christina, who contacted the medias about this case within a day of her dad representing Casey. She has it in her resume on her MySpace (or is it Facebook?) page.

• Andrea
        Aug 25 2009

Hi Coreysmom!
        How interesting … I did not know that!!! So, keeping it all in the family? I just googled her name and found a few pieces about her. She’s a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America, and worked for her father when Caylee initially went missing… wow.

Here’s some of what her bio says (taken from the above link):

“She also has a background in media relations and crisis management matched by few other public relations students. During the summer of 2008, Christina was hired by her father, Jose Baez, to handle all media relations in the Casey Anthony case and the search for her missing daughter, Caylee Anthony. During this period, Christina handled all national and local media appearances for her father in print, network and cable television, and radio. Christina has worked closely with major print publications such as People magazine and the Orlando Sentinel. She also worked daily with major network shows such as Good Morning America, NBC’s Today show, Fox American News Live and ABC’s 20/20. She has worked with programs on CNN, including Larry King Live and Nancy Grace.”

Thank you for that info! Very interesting….

Andrea

10. Aug 24 2009

Hello, Id’claire!
    You are so right about the Anthonys’ treatment! In my town a black man murdered a sweet Philipino elderly couple who gave much to the community. His mother lied for him and said he was with her at the time. The police happened to come over to her house just in time to see her destroying evidence. She was arrested immediately. Are the Ants any different with their lies under oath and destroying evidence? Apparently so.
    However, I don’t think LE/FBI are done with them yet. Maybe it was inadvertant with washing those pants but not so with the hairbrush and the story changes! I will wait and see what happens after the trial.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )