February 22, 2010

the anthony case and the Lady Justice

I must admit, since day one I was fascinated with the Casey Anthony case.  The cast of characters: like a train wreck!  They just stumble on every track they’re on!  They crash and burn so often that it was has been difficult for me to resist joking about them, as they are such n’er do wells!

However, I took a long break from the case.  I found that constantly reading and researching the case became incredibly depressing, and of course, time consuming.  And then, so many photos of little Caylee that I’d never seen before were being released – and that was too depressing.

I couldn’t look anymore at Casey – it would just eat away at me to see her smiling in the courtroom like she hadn’t a care in the world.

Casey shows no remorse – none!  That is what I don’t get.  But, many articles I’ve read point to the fact that sociopath’s can reinvent their truths, and believe a whole new fiction, and stick to their lies like bees to honey.

Anyway, I’m going to get up to speed again on what’s been going on lately in Orlando…. I want to know about the tale of the Lyon… what is she doing?  Seems to me she “knows” that Casey will be convicted and is only working on the death penalty phase of the case.  I could be totally wrong on this, but this is my sense when I hear her in court.

I thought Lyon was going to be the lead in this case since Baez is not death penalty qualified?  It really appears that the hapless Baez is still calling the shots…. crazy!  Who in their right mind would want Baez as their lawyer?

It appears that the end game will leave little room for doubt in this case.   Casey Anthony deserves a fair trial, but she threw away that opportunity the day she signed Baez.  But then again, I have no way of knowing what goes on behind the scenes.  Baez is obligated to ensure he follows the wishes of his client.  I understand that.  He is bound and required to follow his client’s wishes.  However, most attorney’s I know would not want a client like Casey.  It’s demeaning to good Defense Attorneys who would never lower themselves to defend as “innocent” someone who has such mounds of evidence stacked up against them.   Calling a client “innocent” when all the world can read the documents that have been released thus far is, to me, unethical and immoral.

In his complicity, despite the mountain of evidence, has Baez replaced the “Lady Justice” (who represents a court of morals), with Lady Gaga – a parody of justice?

Lady of Justice

1. Ideas
    Feb 22 2010

What has made you want to get up to speed?

Yes, Casey deserves a fair trial, but is this fair trial NOT fair to Florida as to the way it is strung out in piles of motions and procrastination ($$$)?

I suppose there is solace in that the judge is trying to make sure there will be no re-trials, and that eventually Casey will face her jury.

I would be more impressed, however, if the trial were sooner and things progressed more quickly.

• Andrea
      Feb 22 2010

Hi there and thank you so much for visiting! Yeap, I let the case go for a while. One reason I let go from my everyday thoughts was because I was so busy in graduate school, working full time, health issues, as well as trying to do some writing on the side…. LOL! I was so busy and found that the anthony case was too consuming in a negative sense for me….so I let it go. Well, now I have finished my degree (MSHRM), have sworn off additional side projects, and my health is, for the most part, good – well, I need to loose about 50 pounds, but we won’t go there! LOL!

I agree, Strickland is very prudent and careful, in my opinion, thus far – he is protecting the record as best he can to ensure nothing is questioned on appeal. I tell you what, if a public defender were representing Casey, the trial would be ready to go by now, I bet.

As far as the cost – well, I’m sure the DA’s office is pouring all kinds of money into this one, they have to because they are being scrutinized like crazy… The bill would be higher if she had a public defender, I’d imagine.

Speaking of which, I’d sure like to know how in the blazes this trial is being paid for! Man, to use the Hamlet analogy again: “Somethings sure rotten in Denmark.”

Thanks again… ❤

2. Boston
    Feb 22 2010

Good Monday Morning Andrea- So glad you are taking a second look at the case. It is a fascinating one and one that has it’s unanticipated twists and turns. I feel Casey deserves the best defense but surely not one where the eventual outcomes could be ripe with appeal issues for years to come.

Caylee was the one who was harmed and if we decide that this defendant isn’t worth the time and resources then Caylee doesn’t get justice. I say, bring out the biggest and best guns for battle. Throw every last cent at this mother and decide one way or the other who killed this innocent child. Make sure that there is no way anyone can walk away and say that we have imprisoned the wrong person.

Remember, Casey Anthony never helped anyone to find her child simply because she couldn’t. She killed her. The metaphorical whip she walked around with and the metaphorical swamp her mind was in prevented her from ever telling the truth. When she cracked that whip it was for once at someone who could and would punish her. But the saddest thing about her mind and what irritates Ms Anthony is the fact that she cannot for the life of her reason out why Caylee was worth all this effort. Why would this meaningless child provoke so much outrage?

• Andrea

Oh Boston!!!

OMG…it’s so nice to hear from you… and boy, you can sure write! (Side note: would you like to contribute some articles about the case here? I’d love to have you share this space as a guest contributor – if that’s anything you’d be willing to do, I’d love it.)

I think that Strickland is being pretty careful with the record in this case, because god-forbid any of the rulings are overturned on appeal….that would be a travesty to say the least. Wow. The thought of that – yikes!

I tell you what, so far, from what I have seen, the two lead DA’s are pretty awesome, and I feel like they are not in the least bit affected by the celebrity aspect of the case. I did catch the brilliant soliloquy by Prosecutor Ashton (I think that’s his name? I can’t remember at the moment). When he began speaking of the act of how Caylee was murdered, and how the murderer would have had to restrain or drug poor Caylee in order to accomplish the deed, it was a great preview of what we’re gonna see in the trial, I think.

I really feel that the DA’s office knows and is sensitive to the fact that although it’s about bringing Casey down for good, it’s also very much about ensuring this little angel receives the respect and love in death that she lacked in life.

I may be a dreamer, but I really believe that the DA, though they may be hard as nails, will be sensitive and softly do justice to the memory of Caylee.

Boston, your last statement here blew me away. You wrote:

“The metaphorical whip she walked around with and the metaphorical swamp her mind was in prevented her from ever telling the truth. When she cracked that whip it was for once at someone who could and would punish her. But the saddest thing about her mind and what irritates Ms Anthony is the fact that she cannot for the life of her reason out why Caylee was worth all this effort. Why would this meaningless child provoke so much outrage?”

It is so true… she truly cannot fathom why all the fuss over Caylee! That is so damn true, Boston. Casey’s whole “affect” is about that! You hit the nail on the proverbial head with that one, my friend!

xoxoxooxox
      andrea

3. Hilde

Andrea~~ glad to see You back! 🙂
    Sometimes it is good to just take a Break from this Case, it is such a long and drawn out Case and it feels sometimes
    Justice for Caylee is never going to come.
    The good News is there is such a abundance of Evidence against Casey Anthony that eventually all the Pieces will fit together and the Jury will be able to see without a Doubt who committed that heinous Crime.
    The Wheels of Justice are spinning very slow but I have no Doubt Casey A. will have to take the Consequences for her Actions in the End when she will hear the Verdict at the Trial.
    The Defense has their Work cut out. I believe Ms. Lyon the most she can accomplish in this Case is getting the DP off the Table. From what we have seen so far she hasn’t been
    able to do even that!
    I also believe the Defense has not always been making the best Decisions, one in particular comes to Mind making the Statement that Casey A. is innocent, not a good Move on their Part, especially when You look at all the Evidence the State has to the contrary. Also how will the Defense explain
    away the Zanny the Nanny Story?
    If the Zanny the Nanny took Caylee why try to pin the Murder now on Kronk or any one else they can think of.
    Lets face it the Defense is still fishing to come up with just about anything they can to try to establish reasonable Doubt.
    If Casey is so innocent, why do they even have to bother to establish reasonable Doubt. It should be easy to show
    why she couldn’t have committed that Crime but they can’t!
    That is the Reason why Casey A. is still sitting in Jail for
    almost two Years.
    It is clear the right Person is sitting in Jail! JMO

• Andrea
      Feb 22 2010

Oh Hilde, I just love hearing from you! Thank you again for visiting.

I agree… it feels like this thing has just dragged on and on and on, you’re right there… wow, two years! And to think we may not see the trial begin until next year at this time! Since it’s death penalty, they have extra time, is my understanding. And, you’re right, there is an abundance of evidence – thank goodness. And, you know, the biggest whopper that I think the jury will enjoy chewing, is the fact that 31 days passed before nary a word came from Casey’s lips about her “missing” daughter.

In my opinion, anyone who is a mother, or who had a mother (i.e. EVERYONE!) will likely take this fact as the basis for guilt. There’s no other way to look at it, in my opinion. And, you’re right… all the stories she told…they changed like the tide…. and I think the defense will try desperately to float their “ugly coping” defense and claim that was the reason Casey made up the Zanny the Nanny sick story.

And, poor Kronk. I mean, everyone is human, he’s human and imperfect as we all are, but he’s hardly a murderer… the jury will not swallow this, despite his crazy ex wife’s need for her 15 minutes of fame… She’s going to be depo’d soon, the truth will come out about her, too.

So, Hilde… it’ll be okay, but we’ll be vigilant and we’ll watch this case with eagle eyes to ensure it doesn’t become the debacle that Baez would like it to be…

xoxoxoxooxoxxo

Andrea

4. Boston
    Feb 22 2010

Good Morning Hilde-So glad to see you here at Andrea’s!

• Andrea OConnell
      Feb 22 2010

Hello Boston & Hilde…. Oh my it is sooo great to hear from you both! I will write to you later this evening! I am writing this via my fancy schmancy iPhone…. First time trying this…. Let’s see if it works! All the best… Andrea

Sent from my iPhone

5. Boston
    Feb 22 2010

Andrea-I was so pleased to read your post. I think of you often.

6. Hilde

Andrea~~like Boston said, we are also glad to hear from You 😉

• Andrea
      Feb 22 2010

Oh thank you Hilde…. That means a lot to me. Later tonight will send a “proper” reply….. LOL. 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

7. Hilde
    Feb 22 2010

Boston~~ thanks! I like coming here and check out Andrea’s post. She is one of my Favorites with niecey and itsamystery.

• Andrea
      Feb 22 2010

Oh my! that’s an honor….they are two of my favorites as well – you have put me in fine company!

I am so thrilled to hear from u and Boston ….. And yup…..I really am quite well these days!

Andrea

Sent from my iPhone

8. Boston
    Feb 22 2010

Hilde and Andrea-I so agree. Neicey456 and Mystery are terrific writers and you Andrea, are certainly in very good company. I am so happy to know you are doing well these days. Makes my heart feel good.

• Andrea
      Feb 22 2010

Oh thanks Boston. And u know, you are a helluva good writer yourself! Your comments here today were superb…

Will properly respond here this eve when home. 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

9. auntdeedee

Hi, Andrea!

With you coming back to the case you will have fresh eyes and possibly see things those of who have stayed the course haven’t. Looking forward to your posts on this sad saga.

• Andrea
      Feb 22 2010

Well, Hey aunt dee dee! How nice of you to visit! Well, I am glad to be looking in to this case a bit more, will certainly look with fresh eyes but will have to work really hard to keep my cynicism at bay! LOL… Gosh, if this case, and these characters, aren’t the most confounding barrel of bad apples, I don’t know what is!

Like everyone of us, I really care – truly care that justice comes for the sake of Caylee.

So, I’ll be here!

All the best and thanks again for stopping by!

Andrea

10. Boston
    Feb 23 2010

Andrea-you can email me anytime. I write about Casey Anthony often times in a straight forward manner but there are times when I throw caution to the wind and let her have it. I have a lot of compassion for Mr and Mrs Anthony but I also have questions about who they are and who they became as a result of their association with Casey. Did they learn to think magically? Was their circular thinking a result of dealing with Casey? Are they now contrite because they found out that it didn;t play well with the viewers?

They won’t go down with the ship and I think they made up their minds about that when they buried Caylee.

• Andrea
      Feb 23 2010

Hi Boston,
      Sounds good, I’ll send you an email. I would like to have additional guest writers, too. I think the diversity of thought will be a good thing… a good tapestry here! And, I do like your straight forward manner… With regards to George and Cindy, I understand where your compassion comes from, and I have some compassion left for them as well, though I think they have made such terrible, horrendous choices. then again, I am reminded that grief can make you do and act in ways that defy logic.

Did you hear that the Anthony’s home is on the foreclosure list? The sad thing here, the Anthony’s are just like millions of Florida homeowners in such a position. Of course, they will be vilified in the media now that this is public.

(Like you, I think the Anthony’s lost their minds early on, when Casey was a teenager and getting in trouble and stealing, etc. I think Casey ruled that home with her careless and uncaring attitude. She’s so cold.)

The Anthony’s, they are a sad lot. And they are easy fodder for cynics like me who just get so angry at the antics they try …. but, perhaps from our vantage point, our perception is really not reality, maybe there’s a

I think, in all honest, it may be wise to reserve judgment on them; at least until the trial begin – to see if they stick to one story… You know, speaking of stories… to me, they seem like character actors playing characters they don’t understand and can’t relate to… maybe.

Andrea

11. Boston
    Feb 26 2010

Andrea-Sorry for getting back here so late.

Yes, they almost seem surreal or not quite human. I would think that no matter what happens in people’s lives that there is that immediate realization that something very bad has just happened and people act in ways that upon reflection, even scare them. I think Cindy and George are in need of intense psychotherapy. Will they ever completely recover? I think in time they will have to decide to embrace life and make the best of it.

I think it would be great to add an idea or two. Email me. What about getting Iona and Lori and Ideas? Sorta like a “group think”.

• Andrea
      Feb 26 2010

Hi all….. I’m on my way to see Desmond Tutu!!!

Boston… I did email you 🙂

Will catch up with ya’ll soon.

hugs.

Andrea

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w