March 23, 2010

X Marks the End game

George Anthony to Casey:  Here’s a map – put an X where we can find Caylee!

It is a bad day for the defense.  A bombshell of a bad day.  Today’s evidence spells E-N-D   G-A-M-E.

There is so much to report, so much to say, I want to keep this simple right now and share this with you, words from Attorney Bill Sheaffer:

All this evidence is like holes in the dam and after a while even Cheney Mason runs out of fingers.

Oh, that surely says it all.

Here is a link to Sheaffer’s video clip with Kathi Belich.

Sheaffer Video

1. mikka
    Mar 23 2010

andrea,so true,for me it was bombshells,and more and more shows cma is GUILTY,GUILTY,GUILTY!!

2. mikka
    Mar 23 2010

fingers 😆 😆

We’re gonna take a look at it and see whether it’s privileged and I’m not gonna answer any more questions about it. Don’t waste your time Kathi, I’m not gonna answer any more questions about it,” Mason said.

The defense is considering asking the judge to seal Casey’s letters. The judge has said he’s not inclined to.

“All this evidence is like holes in the dam and, after a while, even Cheney Mason runs out of fingers,” Sheaffer said.

• Andrea
      Mar 23 2010

Wow, Mikka…. interesting! And its so funny you caught that GREAT quote of Bills, too, about fingers in the dam. Man, that dam has cut loose and it’s a big waterfall now! 🙂

3. mikka
    Mar 23 2010

andrea,sorry dont saw it what bill said,bill krack me up! 😆

4. Boston
    Mar 23 2010

There will eventually be a deal. I leave it in the very capable hands of Mr Mason and his team to stop the flood and fold up the tents.

• Andrea
      Mar 23 2010

You know what, Boston… Of course I could be wrong, but I think the state has the goods on her and they will not deal now.

I seriously think that all deals are off the table now. The only time the state would even consider a deal would be if they thought the defense has enough material to raise “reasonable doubt” and the defense does not have anything near reasonable doubt now – not from what I have seen.

The state offered Casey a deal a long while ago, remember? they offered because they wanted to find Caylee’s body, and Casey laughed in the state’s face, and Casey let the deal expire, and there was never talk of it again.

But then, game-change: the body was found, and then the DP was put on the table.

Once the DP is on the table, forget deals.

I asked a couple of criminal defense attorney’s what they thought about a deal, they said, essentially, anything could happen, but in reality, the time has passed for a deal, unless the state has a change of heart.

I am not a fan of the death penalty – I prefer that God make those decisions – but, that’s just me…..

• auntdeedee
        Mar 23 2010

If the State said LWOP as a deal, I think that would be the only deal they would accept. The ball is in their court, not Casey’s.

• Andrea
        Mar 24 2010

Yup, dee dee, that’s very true – the defense lost their chance to take a plea… they let the offer run out, and the state is the one to offer, not the defense. 🙂

5. auntdeedee
    Mar 23 2010

This is one good doc dump! I agree with Bill Schaeffer on this-Mason hasn’t got enough fingers!

I got alot of insight into the Anthony family dynamic when I read Tim Miller’s interview. I chuckled when Tim said he wanted to grab George and make him make Casey talk because he was the head of the household!LOL! Cindy is a trip. I didn’t have the greatest mother in the world-an alcoholic who was mentally ill-but she’s an angel of a mom compared to Cindy.

I so hope that George and Cindy are being investigated-they knew Caylee was not alive all along and had tried to steer the direction of the investigation and the searches. While reading some of the docs today, I kept thinking there is an investigation of them going on-there has to be.

• Andrea
      Mar 23 2010

hey there, miss aunty dee dee!
      I still haven’t finished the whole interview… got home late this evening (life and work and groceries and banking just got in my way today!!), but I did see the bit you’re talking about (I skipped right to the good parts!) and I found it amazing, too. And, Cindy is like a wild animal, will fanatically attempt to save her baby (Casey) no matter what the cost, no matter the lies, no matter who she has to ruin in the process. The Grunds be damned to her… she protects her brood like the mother duck outside my window.

I bet they are being investigated, too. But, it’s dicey for the state – if the anthony’s are under indictment for a crime, then they can plead the 5th (unless they’re given immunity). I think it’s calculated by the state – they need them as witnesses, so they’re not coming down on them. As witnesses, they are forced to testify in the trial. But, if charged before they testify, it gets dicey because if they testify in Casey’s trial it could potentially incriminate them.

But. I think you’re right, they need to be investigated…….and I bet that’s why Conway is around them 24/7. Hah! But, Cindy doesn’t listen to anyone – can’t imagine she’d listen to conway either….. LOL……

6. Ideas
    Mar 24 2010

I hope there is a deal. It would save everyone involved…(all Caylee’s friends)….so much.

Why do you think Mason got involved?

If he can settle this whole circus, he will be a super hero.

However, if that is his intention, why would Baez holler for Casey’s indigence? Does he know it’s gonna all end soon and wants a way to claim some money remnants? ( I know only certain costs are covered when declared indigent, but books, affidavits, can be manipulated. (How’s that for conspiracy?))

• Andrea
      Mar 24 2010

Hi Ideas,

I agree with what Boston posted a couple of posts down… And perhaps, Mason sees the harm that was being done to the criminal justice system, too, by virtue of this case….if Baez were allowed to keep going, no telling what would be the result, but if Baez were allowed to go unchecked, she’d be able to shout to the rooftops “ineffective counsel – retrial!” That would be just awful….

7. jon
    Mar 24 2010

I would hope Mason is smart enought to see the writing on the wall and at least attempt to have Casey stand up and admit that she did it. I know in that case there wouldn’t be a plea, but I think then the DP would be off the table and she’d get life without parole. At least then this would be brought to a conclusion!

Also, why do “fingers” keep popping up in this case? Do you remember George’s cutsie little talk to Casey during one of the jailhouse visits about the five fingers on his hand representing the five Anthony’s? This is me, this is Mom (probably the middle finger for that one!), this is Lee, this is you and the little pinky is Caylee. Barf………..AND, all the while Casey is sitting there with that insipid grin on her face all the time knowing Caylee was dead and laying in that plastic bag.. Barf………..

• Andrea
      Mar 24 2010

Hey Jon! oh my, I do remember that little scene at the jail and poor George’s feeble attempt to get Casey to “own” her actions. Back then the Anthony’s were really trying to get Casey to find another lawyer; George especially seemed to want her to take charge. But Casey was too consumed with being the victim….. Boy, that would be interesting to have Casey stand up and admit to that act….I think that may happen with Perry Mason…LOL… but Cheney Mason, well…. hmmm., I wonder! LOL… I would have bet my bank account that Casey would never admit to anything, but now I wonder because how did they figure out to look in those woods if not for Casey telling someone? It is unethical for Jose to confide in ANYONE what his client said to him, so, if he was behind the “scheme” to video tape the woods with Dominic Casey, then his days are numbered. That’s pure speculation on my part, but he’s just a bit too slick and nasty for my taste, and he’s done so much to hurt Casey…. he and Casey are both so myopic they can’t see how poorly they are doing . There is not reasonable doubt – none, as far as I an see….

8. Boston
    Mar 24 2010

1. Mr Mason got involved because he read all the evidence we read and believed that the law and good lawyering could save this defendant from the death penalty.

2. Ms Lyon, imo, is an intellectual weakling-she is all theatre. Did he step in with the idea that he could do better than hold this defendants arm?

3. If convicted, did he think Mr Baez was jeopardizing this defendants ability to appeal for mercy ? Given the fact that Mr Baez structure his retainer and fees for service as a result of negotiating the sale of video of this dear victim’s last day on earth. Juors will be appalled at that.

4. The Anthony’s made it perfefctly clear imo that they would support Casey but she wasn’t going to get a dime from them. Did they stop paying their mortgage to send that message loud and clear to Casey and Mr Baez?

5. Casey is a convicted felon. Charged with Felony Murder in the First Degree and facing a civil lawsuit as a result of going into the Sawgrass Apts and seeing her name on an information card left at the Rental Office.

6. Casey more than likely told Mr Baez she had a penpal and I think that was the end of it for him. He took almost half of her money and knew there would be no more.

7. When you don;t know what to do next there is always teh option to called a friend.

8. Mr Mason and his buddies will save her from the death penalty whether they take it to trial or not.

9. Ideas
    Mar 24 2010

Thanks, Boston, for spelling it out.

I guess the challenge to everyone is centered on the DP, not acquittal.

10. Boston
    Mar 24 2010

Saving her life at this point in time would be any defense attorneys primary goal.

Acquittal was never in the equation because Ms Anthony lied from day one. In telling her tale to police she exposed her mental defect and the severity of her psychopathy.

After her arrest and before her Bond hearing she was evaluated. Judge Strickland put her bond at 500K because she was a flight risk and she was dangerous.

Her psychological report is sealed.

It will be interesting to see which way Mr Mason goes. Will he try Guilty by Reason of Insanity? It could work. What do those letters say? Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity was what I believe Mr Lenaman wanted to proffer. Baez fired him.

11. jon
    Mar 25 2010

If Mason can save her from the death penalty that’s fine by me. Personally, I’d rather see her rot in prison for the rest of her life than have it all over with relatively quickly. DP cases are never quick though because of all of the automatic appeals and, let’s face it, they’d cost the tax payers tons more money and we’d still have to be bombarded the whole Anthony tribe on TV, etc. If she were to be given the DP next year, it would probably be another 10 before the needle got inserted (in this case though I do wish it was “old sparky”. Of course the ideal would be to tie her up and then slap duct tape across her face, although that sounds a bit biblical. All I care about really is that she’s found GUILTY.

• Andrea
      Mar 25 2010

LOL, Jon! Me too, I would rather see her rot in prison for the rest of her awful life. It’s true, DP cases are so expensive. There is an automatic appeal process in these cases, that’s true…. not cheap, that’s for sure. LOL @ Ole Sparky and duct tape! But, you know, for all intents and purposes, she’s duct taped now… She’s such a motor mouth like her mother and it must drive her bonkers to be so isolated with only one hour per day out of her little cell… I can’t even imagine it..

12. Boston
    Mar 25 2010

There isn’t any evidence thus far that would exonerate Ms Anthony. I don’t believe in the death penalty but I certainly believe in swift and certain punishment. It’s coming sooner than we think.

• Andrea
      Mar 25 2010

Hey my friend,
      I agree – I have seen nothing whatsoever that lends itself to reasonable doubt….nothing that could possibly exonerate her. I don’t believe in the DP either as I think it allows us to play God and how could we put ourselves or someone else in that position? But, I do understand why the state put DP on this case; it was deserving of it by law. i want Casey to be confined for the rest of her life;

it’s been an exhausting day…..time for me to go make some dinner and relax a bit before I tackle a new post….I’m anxious to write about all the new evidence, and the ABC story.

You know, after this new release of evidence, it just brought the fact home to me that this story is as complicated and tragic as one of Shakespeare’s tragedies….. That’s what I want to write about, if not today, then soon……

Hugs bugs….. 🙂

13. Boston
    Mar 25 2010

You get yourself a good meal and relax. There have been a couple of bloggers JWG on Dave Marinade’s site that did a fantastic job of comparing and contrasting Casey and McBeth.

• Andrea
      Mar 25 2010

Had a good dinner but now can’t keep my eyes open – literally! Will take Jazz for a quick walk and then hit the hay….. talk to you soon!

• Andrea
      Mar 25 2010

Boston..who is JWG? Curious minds wanna know…LOL!

14. jon
    Mar 26 2010

HI Andrea: you are correct, she is duct taped now for all intents and purposes. that’s one of the things that might be working against them though. maybe if Casey was in gen pop (I watched OZ!!!) she might begin blabbing to the other inmates and slip and say something. I’d think she would be so happy to have other people to talk to at this point, she’d go non-stop until they told her to shut-up. Of course, then she could be the center of attention as the new kid on the (cell) block and relish it.

have a good weekend.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )