April 19, 2010

made into pawns, but princes both

Countless among us are mystified by the news that “Marinade-Dave” got caught up in the wide defense net in the Casey Anthony case.  If you have not heard by now, Dave made casual mention to a defense investigator that Judge Stan Strickland had read his blog at one time.

On its face, it seems like a petty and paltry error by the Judge.  Marinade Dave’s blog is always very fair and Dave earnestly seeks to look at both sides of the issues in the Casey Anthony case.  No doubt this is what impressed the Judge, who, according to the Orlando Sentinel, was researching and reading blogs to get a sense of the public opinion of the case.  Accordingly, thought the Judge, this analysis would help assess the change of venue request that will invariably be made by the defense.

Who among us is not curious to read the public opinion on this case?  Surely anyone with a computer need only type “Casey Anthony” into the Google search engine and millions of hits result:

Results 110 of about 9,290,000 for casey anthony. (0.13 seconds)

Judge Strickland would know it is against the rules to comment about media or blogs or opinions.  (I am sure he is quietly kicking his computer.)

The fact is, when you have a desperate defense and high stakes, continuances are like gold.

When it comes to the courts, and matters of propriety, these errors are apparently contrary to the law.  But I ask you, what harm is done? When you have defense counsel hopping from one media outlet to the next, day after day trying to milk stories by the dozen, what harm did the Judge do?  Who even noticed this “slip” made months ago?

The double standard here is hardly transparent.

I am extremely upset at this, but rules are rules, and Judge Strickland should not be admitting to reading blogs.  Period.

Cheney Mason, being a sharp cracker-jack defense attorney, did what any good defense attorney would do.  He is looking for any loop hole big enough to hang someone’s neck in.  I believe, however, this noose will end up hanging the defense in this case.  Forgive the mixed metaphors, but did Casey and company just shoot themselves in the proverbial foot?

Judge Strickland will be replaced by his boss, Chief Judge in Orange county who is presiding over the civil suit against Casey Anthony, Judge Belvin Perry, Jr., who the Orlando Sentinel refers to as “no-nonsense”.  Correction: It was an error on my part when I stated it was Judge Perry presiding over the civil suit.

The Orlando Sentinel cites that Judge Strickland had some colorful parting words for the defense in his final farewell:

In an order granting Anthony’s request for him to step down from the case, Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland wrote: “At its core, defense counsel’s motion accuses the undersigned of being a ‘self-aggrandizing media hound.’ Indeed. The irony is rich.”

Rich, indeed.

LinkJudge Stan Strickland’s final motion to recuse himself from the case.

1. Lona1
    Apr 19 2010

we lost all focus in this case. Here is a comment from the hinky meter.

» Silverspnr said: { Apr 19, 2010 – 07:04:08 }
    Wanna make an impact???

STOP discussing Strickland.

Focus on the content of those letters.

They aren’t “drivel”.

They are as DAMNING as it gets for her.

WHAT MOTHER WHOSE CHILD WAS LEFT IN THE ELEMENTS TO BE DEVOURED BY FLIES AND BEETLES…. WHOSE FLESH WAS LEFT TO BE TORN APART AND WHOSE FLESH AND BONES WERE LEFT TO BE DISGUSTINGLY GNAWED UPON BY ANIMALS… WOULD NOT EXPRESS A SINGLE FEELING OF ANGER/RAGE/DISGUST/DESPAIR TOWARD THE PERSON (WHO SHE CLAIMED WAS HER “FRIEND” FOR “FOUR YEARS” FOR STEALING HER CHILD??? FOR EITHER MURDERING HER CHILD OR ALLOWING OTHERS TO MURDER HER CHILD???? FOR DOING WHATEVER THE ALLEGED FRIEND DID WHICH ENDED UP WITH THAT PRECIOUS, SWEET, CARING CHILD TO END UP WITH DUCT TAPE ACROSS HER MOUTH, ACROSS HER NOSE.. STOPPING HER FROM TAKING A BREATH??? CAUSING HER CHILD SUCH FEAR.. SUCH ANGUISH… SUCH HORRIFIC AND TERRIFYING PAIN??????????

All I ask is that the focus return to the REAL EVIL, and not on the pawns of this defense team.

2. Andrea
    Apr 19 2010

I hear you, Lona. I do hear you. There will be justice in the end. I am certain of it.

3. Lona1
    Apr 19 2010

…….WOULD NOT EXPRESS A SINGLE FEELING OF ANGER/RAGE/DISGUST/DESPAIR TOWARD THE PERSON (WHO SHE CLAIMED WAS HER “FRIEND” FOR “FOUR YEARS” FOR STEALING HER CHILD???

Casey already looks like death warmed over and the prosecution hasn’t even begun to dig into her and twist a few knives here and there.

The defense got lucky today, but it won’t last. And this is not a ‘ha ha’ comment or moment, this is for real!

4. Hilde
    Apr 19 2010

Lona1~~ I agree with You 100 %, very well put.
    I feel the Compassion in Your Words and I feel the same Way
    You do!

5. Apr 19 2010

Hi Andrea and everyone, I don’t see it personally that the defense got lucky today, i say they asked for it and they shall receive and will wish they had His Honor Stan Strickland back. Karma defense team Karma~~

6. Andrea
    Apr 19 2010

hey Knight Owl,
    yes, I agree with you there, Karma is a kicker. They got Judge Strickland’s boss, who will be just as tough and strict as Strickland.

Lona: I know what you are saying and I agree with you….I read most of Casey’s’ letters and I was appalled at what she DIDN’T say, too. Those letters will help bring her down, no doubt about it.

I can’t write about those letters yet – they are too disturbing and dark for me to get into right now….

7. Andrea
    Apr 19 2010

Hey Hilde… good to see you! 🙂

8. Hilde
    Apr 19 2010

Andrea~~ Hi
    Very good Post 😉
    I didn’t mean to be rude and ignore You, I just liked Lona1
    Comment.
    BTW Hi there Night Owl and every one comes in later. 🙂
    I don’t believe the Defense should be too proud of the Way they accomplished for Judge Strickland to recuse himself and it definitely is not a Reason to get too confident yet at this Stage of the Game. What if the new Judge will rub the Defense the wrong Way, what will they do to him, I wonder! Will there be a Repeat of what has been done to Judge Strickland?
    In the long Run it might work out better than we think.Will it work out better for the Defense, well we just have to wait and see, it should be interesting, say the least!
    I just like so many People look forward to that Day when
    the Murderer of Caylee Marie finally will be held responsible for what has been done to Caylee.
    If the Defense believes that the more time will pass before the Trial starts, the better the Chances are that People forget the Details. I would beg to differ, we won’t forget!!!
    Meanwhile Casey sits in Jail!! If I would be her and like she claims she is innocent,Boy I would raise holy You know what for them to find the real Killer and get me out of there. Obviously she doesn’t care, what does that tell us, hm, I know what it tells me!

9. Apr 19 2010

Andrea, oh boy, MD wrote a post sometime back on this new judge Belvin, called Little Black Boy. The post was in Belvin’s favor but i can just see Baez and Cheney Mason’s eyes light up if they find this post and read that title. Are we gonna see this judge recused too?

• Andrea
      Apr 20 2010

Hey Knight Owl…. Nah, I don’t think this just will recuse himself unless he comments on the media and its taken totally out of context like what’s just occurred.

I feel so badly… and Boston is right, there was duping going on here…. but, the duper (the dopey defense) lost this one… They get Judge Perry!! Weeee heeee!

I am very pleased with the way Judge Strickland handled this case thus far, except I always thought he was too lenient with Baez. Not that the Judge has to play Professor and teach Baez the rules of the game, that’s not his role, but I would have liked to see Strickland admonish him more often. I think (I hope) this new Judge will lay down the law with gusto and not let Baez get away with his nonsense…..

10. Apr 19 2010

Hi Hilde. good to see you.

11. Apr 19 2010

Hilde, excellent post, so agree with all of it. yes indeed just what you said? Casey is not screaming her head off to get the killer found and get this wrapped up? speaks volumes for me just like it does you. she knows she is guilty and she ain’t going anywhere. She could have had a quick trial but she denied one. Baez would let her rot there forever if it were up to him to ever get ready for a trial. He doesn’t care one iota for his client and is all about I, Me, Myself and you would think Casey could see one of her own kind. lmbo.

12. Apr 19 2010

bye everyone, been fun. movie is calling me.

13. Apr 20 2010

The Defense team just stabbed itself in the back….Of course, I can see Mason Cheney on live Tv, when all their motions are again denied, say,” We’ll have you recuse yourself also Boy, because your not being “fair” to our client. I hope this judge squashes their asses and moves this case along. Enjoy your triumph, Defense idiots, because you f’up royally in removing Judge Strickland. Cheney, you are a foul red neck piece of garbage bottom sucker and Baez is a JOKE! Oh, and Michelle from Madison, you are a psycho who should lay side by side w/ Casey the remainder of her pitiful life! I’m out until the Trial as I have 3 businesses to run…

• Andrea
      Apr 20 2010

Hey Eastwood! thanks for your excellent post. I agree, the defense didn’t think this one through…unless they were gambling here – betting that Strickland would not recuse himself, and then they’d raise bloody hell and cry foul at every ruling, as Judge Strickland intimated. If they think this is a triumph, they better look at this judge’s record! I bet you anything they never dreamed it would be this judge taking over…. They gambled and they lost big time and I am really glad, too. Serves them right for being disingenuous and down-right cocky.

Perhaps one day Baez will be a good attorney, today he’s too green and too egotistical to do Casey any good at all. I am glad Casey has good counsel now, but I sure as hell hope that they are not allowed to pull tricks like the defense attorneys did in OJ. I want them to be vigorous defenders of Casey’s rights, but I want them to also stay within the law and within reason, too because there is justice for the innocent child in the balance…. I just hope they would not dare play any more games now….

Who’s Michelle from Madison? you lost me there, eastwood….

14. Boston
    Apr 20 2010

Andrea- Judge Strickland said the following:
    “The cumulative effect will be to elevate an otherwise meaningless situation into a genuine appellate issue”.

I wrote about how Casey and psychopaths in general get a thrill out of lying, deceiving and manipulating others -it’s called “duping delight”.

Judge Strickland was duped.

Remember Michael Finkel who wrote True Story? He was a liar too but he redeemed himself. He never went back to the NYT but instead met Mr Longo.

• Andrea OConnell
      Apr 20 2010

Hi Boston

You are absolutely correct. He was duped I only now realize this as I wrote this post before I read the Judge’s eloquent ruling. So, I need to write a follow-up as the grave import is also to Caylee.

In any event, justice will move forward here despite everything else all will be okay.

Thank you for your post.

Sent from my iPhone

15. jon
    Apr 20 2010

HI Andrea: I wonder whether Strickland is breathing a large sigh of relief about not being on this case any longer. It will be interesting to see how Perry handles it; let’s hope he doesn’t put up with any Baez crap and the defense gets to the point where they wish they had Strickland back!

• Andrea
      Apr 20 2010

Hey Jon! I know what you mean, perhaps he is breathing a sigh of relief, but I think, too, he’s angry, as he should be. His answer to the motion is beautiful in its irony and is perfectly stated. Not only is he a terrific Judge, but he’s one heck of a writer. I think this new Judge is going to make the defense’s life much more miserable than Strickland ever could. It’s just nonsense, all of it, we can only hope that we can just get on with the case already and let Caylee have her day in court.

Thanks so much for your post, Jon! This is going to get pretty interesting!

16. auntdeedee
    Apr 20 2010

Hi, Andrea!

Caylee’s friends have made some good points in their comments here.

Duping delight! I never heard of it before but, hoo boy, does it fit. Even MD got duped by Longo. Did you know that Longo from CFNews13 called Dave about being mentioned in the motion 14 minutes before it was filed with the court? And earlier that day, Longo called Dave for an interview about bloggers who write on this case. Hinky, if youy ask me. The defense had to have given Longo the copy of the motion before filing it. At their website, the motion does not even have the notary/timestamp on it! I hear they have a defense slant in their reporting. Makes me wonder if they are that anonymous donor to Casey’s defense.

And, I tend to think there is something to this idea that the defense was not counting on Strickland stepping down. They just wanted it to hang over the judge’s head that they could do it and will if he doesn’t rule their way with the motions. Blackmail, of sorts. I guess Judge Stan called their bluff! Loved his Order! Yep, he knows how to write!

Did you know that Judge Perry can reverse motions? I wonder if he will…He is very pro-DP, too. And, I hear that Baez is even less qualified to be Casey’s attorney now that she is declared indigent. If I can find that link to show the Florida statute, I will post it here for you. Maybe Baez will be told to get off the team (or, at least, take the second chair!).

Have a wonderful night!

17. auntdeedee
    Apr 20 2010

OOPS! I forgot to tell you that I love the title of your post! So true!

• Andrea
      Apr 22 2010

Thanks so much my friend – they are princes, both! 🙂

18. Boston
    Apr 21 2010

Good Morning Auntdeedee-I am afraid that you misunderstood my reference to Mr Longo from Florida.

When I posted to Andrea this is what I meant.

Michael Finkel was a well respected journalist at the New York Times and he was caught lying and summarily fired.
    Michael Finkel The Journalist

The Great Pretender
    http:www.slate.com/id/2171305/

The Return of Michael Finkel

True Story, by Michael Finkel
    Muder, Memoir and Mea Culpa (2006)
    The book detailed his relationship with CHRISTIAN LONGO, wanted for killing his entire family. Mr Longo took Michael Finkel’s identity.

It was a fascinating read. Mr Finkel experienced “duping delight”. He thought Michael Finkel was a pushover-a liar just like him-ripe for the pickin’.

Mea Culpa, mea culpa. Lying cost him his career at the NYT but he learned valuable life lessons as a result of his time with a homicidal psychopath. A fascinating read.

(sorry for the confusion)

19. jon
    Apr 21 2010

HI. I just hope Perrry decides that enough is enough and that he moves this case along and gets it to trial and doesn’t put up with any more stalling tactics from Baez and company.

Also, who is Michelle from Madison and why do people hate her so much?

• Andrea
      Apr 22 2010

Hey hey hey Jon… I don’t have a clue about Michelle from Madison either! (Guess we should keep it that way…LOL!)

20. Boston
    Apr 21 2010

He doesn’t have anything substantive to add to the discussion relative to Fl v Anthony. It is my observation that he is firmly against punishment and without regard for the victim’s pain. Having said tha,t I would also like to add that if he is treated with respect he is friendly and not aggressive or oppositional. I have worked with him over time and tried to add to his knowledge base. Although I have not successfully changed his thinking I have seen a kindness and a willingness to move the conversation forward without a hint of saying things that are woefully untrue or meanspirited. When we exchange ideas I see less repetitive writing and considerable thought.

I have had occasion to say, “Mitch-you’re nuts”. The next post from him will be something like, “Your post was too long but I must say you are a good writer. Doesn’t make sense but at least it wasn’t too rude.

I hope this helped.