July 31, 2010

robbed from the inside, too

Sweet Jazz

I have had a grueling week, but I am counting my blessings one by one and counting doubly the fact that the creeps who robbed my home, will not, did not, and can not dampen my spirit for very long!

I am blessed that the creeps did not do harm to my dog, Jazz.  Although I am certain that Jazz would have gone right up to the creeps with a toy in his mouth his body wagging his tail, as if to say “Play with me, ” he appears fine.

Jazz is so cute and playful that often people, jokingly, say: “Oh, please let me steal him!”  Everyone loves Jazz.

The robbers ignored him, perhaps.  I can’t bear to think that they attempted to harm him or kick him away… They didn’t let him out the door as they exited with my large flat-screen TV set.

If only Jazz could talk.

Were they kids who came through a window I’d inadvertently left open?  Were they experienced burglars who cased my home to know what to take?

I may never know, but the police seem to think they were young criminals, not yet reaching the age of maturity to know the worth of things, as they missed things of value laying about in my home.

The police have fingerprints. But, if they are criminals in the infancy of their mean career, then we may never find them.

Because they spirited away my entire jewelry box, I feel robbed from the inside.

In the jewelry box there was nothing of great value – no diamonds to speak of.  But, I had trinkets with sentimental value.  Things I cherished because so many of the things were colored with memories of people I love.

The jewelry has no value to speak of.  Those heartless robbers will find no worth in the things in my jewelry box.  The value is mine, not theirs.  They will find no value from the single opal earring I’d kept all these years because it was a gift from childhood.  The value is not in the trinket, the value is wholly from the memories that swirl and hang invisibly from the air surrounding the thing.

The cross owned originally by my great-grandmother is a very plain-Jane one.  It came from years and years past – passed down the ages from my great grandmother to my father to me, his daughter.  I wanted to give it to my niece.

And, worst of all, my mothers lovely string of pearls.  My mother wore those pearls over fifty years ago with her wedding dress. I cherished those pearls.  Cherished them.

These are the things that rob me from the inside and make me so angry, so sad.

The rest are just “things” that can be replaced.  I can buy another TV, and Wii, and Ipod, and camera.

The rest is silence.

1. corina
    Jul 31 2010

Awe Andrea, so sorry my friend. It must be a terrible experience. Hoping time will heal the pain of losing your valuables :(. So happy God saved your little cuties, what a great picture of Jazz. 🙂 Take care my friend and be safe!

• Andrea
      Aug 2 2010

Thank you my dear. I appreciate your kind words so much…. Time will heal – has begun already to heal the sense of loss mixed with regret mixed with anger at the whole experience.

Thanks for being there! 🙂

((((hugs))))

2. Jennifer Tomarchio
    Jul 31 2010

Andrea,
    I know exactly how you feel, as I have been there myself – twice! The first time, my neighbors caught the creeps – young, stupid kids, walking with the loot down the block in my pillow case! The second time, not so lucky and I too, lost items of great sentimental value. I also felt the same way about my dog. Wondered if the creeps kicked her. They did close her in the bedroom, which was my first clue that something was wrong when I walked in the house. Thanked God they didn’t steal her or hurt her. Then we thought about getting a doberman for better protection. But, so far feel better with the alarm system.
    Take care,
    Jen

• Andrea
      Aug 2 2010

Jennifer! Thank you so much for your comments and concern…. OMG, I am sorry that you had to go through this at all, but then to have it happen twice! Jeez, that’s just not fair.

Yup… my dog was my only concern, and I judging by how he behaves with strangers, I am so sure he ran up to them and offered his toy to throw…. But, then again, I’m just not sure. It’s interesting, he’s growling at strangers now when I take him out… He never did that before and it makes me wonder if one day he’ll recognize the creeps, as the police are pretty sure they are kids in the vicinity.

I do feel much better now with the alarm, too.

Thank you again, my dear… big hugs!

3. Sherry
    Jul 31 2010

Aw, so sorry about what happened! Those trinkets were of great value to you-sparked the memories…so glad Jazz is OK! Hugs, my dear friend…

• Andrea
      Aug 2 2010

Thanks Sherry… 😦

It’s been a rotten experience to say the least, but I’m getting used to the reality of it and I am trying to not allow it to dampen my spirits.

Thanks so much for your comments, as always, you dear heart!

((((Hugs))))

4. Kitt
    Aug 1 2010

Andrea,

So disheartening for me to have been away from your blog for so long, then to drop by and read this. I’m so sorry. Thankful that Jazz is ok and you have him with you. I am fortunate that I have never had this happen to me. I have, tho, had “trinkets” stolen from me. Like you, these trinkets of mine would hold absolutely no value whatsoever to the theif, but plenty to me. Shame on those intruders, and bless you.

• Andrea
      Aug 2 2010

Oh Kitt!!!!!

My goodness, I have missed you! I figured you were a busy bee over the summer and enjoying the lovely (though hot) summer days.

Yes, it’s just unbelievable that these mean criminals should do things like this… and if they are kids, then it’s just worse, What will they become as adults? And, the gentleman that re-installed my alarm system told me that one of our local detectives told him that robberies are so rampant now that the police just cannot keep up. He said it’s worse than any time he’s ever known in years past. Alarm system sales are way up, I guess.

I am so glad you never had this happen to you! Let’s say lots of prayers and keep it that way so you’ll continue to know peaceful, unfettered days…. 🙂

So very happy to hear from you!!!!!

Big ole hugs, Kitt.

5. Weezie
    Aug 3 2010

Andrea; What a pitiful thing for anyone to do. If they were young , they wouldn’t understand the meaning of real value or sentimental memories, they aren’t old enough to get it. I am so sorry you had to feel violated by invasion of your personal space. Shocking and simply hurtful. What I don’t understand is why they would take the jewellery box? They wanted mechanical items.
    Anyway Jazz is ok. that’s the main thing. I never know what to say to someone who has had such a shocking thing happen. I hope you plaster MONITORED BY SECURITY ALL OVER YOUR WINDOWS. Take care of yourself and just think, if it’s boys or men, they won’t be wearing pearls or a cross, atleast there is something to be thankful for.

6. Andrea
    Aug 3 2010

Yup, isn’t it just despicable? I got my new alarm system all plugged in – it’s a good system and the peace of mind is so worth it. And, I do have stickers for my windows (and new window locks, too!)

I do think they were pretty young as they went for all the things that kids like, except for the jewelery box and my treasures….

I live in a quiet neighborhood – all the neighbors are close-knit and now everyone is watching out for each other. I am blessed by the greatest neighbors! Just tonight, my neighbor rehung my bird feeder (so the squirrels would not eat the bird food), cleaned the sensor on my camera, and hooked up my new TV!

Yes, I got a new TV this weekend! It’s not as nice as what I had, but no one will steal it this time!

I am still counting my blessings that they had some kind of heart that told them to leave Jazz alone… that would have been too much to bear….

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )