September 4, 2010

and “Geraldo” weighs in

Geraldo has a thing or two to say about the Casey Anthony case.

Yes “the” Geraldo.

Back when he covered the O.J. Simpson trial, I was kind of fond of Geraldo Rivera.

But the Geraldo of today is not the Geraldo of yesterday.

Perhaps his rude behavior and ultra contrite manner are an act – an effort to please the “mainstream” news viewer?  I don’t know.  And, it really doesn’t matter, because his recent comments about Casey Anthony are asinine.

I am referring to the piece by Hal Boedeker, published in the Orlando Sentinel very recently.

Perhaps you should read the short interview with Geraldo (if you haven’t done already) before reading further, so you’ll know from where I rant.

To read the piece, click here for the link.

I need to rant

Okay, now that you have read the story, can you understand why I may need to rant a little bit here?

Forgive my need to curse, but what the hell is Geraldo talking about???

He says:

Any prosecutor who attempts to impose the ultimate penalty on Casey Anthony is more concerned with scoring cheap political points than attempting justice.  It’s an absurd over-prosecution….Casey is a selfish, self-involved dimwit.  But to seek to kill her, because she killed that sweet baby is an absurd over-prosecution and will color the whole prosecution.

I just cannot fathom why this man would say Casey Anthony is a dim-wit when in reality she is a calculated murderess.

I mean, nice people can be dim-wits.  I can be dim-witted when I’m tired and forgetful and it’s a Friday evening after a grueling week of work.  But I would never characterize a murderer as merely a dim-wit.  To me, it is as if he’s empathizing with Casey Anthony.  Is he saying if she were any smarter she would have eaten the crumbs leading directly down the path of her total guilt?   Is he saying, if she were not a dim-wit, she could still be dancing at Fusion????

“over-prosecution”

Geraldo discusses  over-prosecution as non nonchalantly as I’d discuss over eating.

How do you over-prosecute in a court of law?  You either prosecute a crime or you don’t.

It’s not like cooking!  I’m a dim-wit in the kitchen and I overcook the hell out of everything from eggs to casseroles.  Yes, you can overcook, overstate, overcome, and overeat….but over-prosecute a cold-bloodied murder?  Over prosecute the murder of a child?  No!

And you certainly don’t suggest that a sentence of 15 to 20 years being “the best way out for everybody involved, including the prosecution.”

I am surely not a proponent of the death penalty, and I agree with Geraldo that we should not put people to death “in an enlightened society.” However, Casey Anthony’s punishment must rise to the level of the crime – whatever that level is, I certainly don’t know.  But this I do believe: The State of Florida is following the law.

Geraldo says:

…someone who is clearly guilty, nobody has many doubts about that.  To put her on the same plane with a mass killer has no kind of possible justification.  I believe she did it. She’s responsible.  The defense would never concede that and is going for actual innocence. They have a case, long shot it may be…..

The defense has a case????  Oh really.  That is about as absurd a statement as I have heard.  It ranks up there in the order of Chicken Little who said, “the sky is falling, the sky is falling!”

Oh boy… someone better duck!

Casey Anthony is No Andrea Yates

Geraldo cited the case of Andrea Yates, who drowned her five children.  There is no argument from anyone that Yates’ actions were beyond heinous, despicable and unthinkable.

But, Yates was mentally unstable, not criminally motivated.   Furthermore, she told the truth – she confessed.  And, when Yates was given treatment and medication for her mental illness, she suffered the ultimate pain: the realization of what she had done hit her between the eyes.

Okay.  Let’s take up this argument.  What if Casey Anthony had come forward and admitted her guilt?  What if she begged for mercy and acted contrite or sorry, maybe even saying it was an accident?

Let’s pretend that Casey Anthony said that she is so sorry and she loves her daughter more than life itself.   Let’s say she begged for mercy but the State of Florida still sought to impose the death penalty.  If that highly unlikely scenario were to have occurred, then pursing the death penalty would be, in my opinion, equal to over-prosecution.

Casey Anthony, on the contrary, has lied and deceived everyone in her path.  She danced on the grave of her daughter when she smeared that hideous tattoo, “the good life” on her pimpled skin.

She spits in the face of her parents, brother, grandparents and Geraldo calls her a “dim wit?”

What do you call her?

1. Diana
    Sep 4 2010

I need to rant too!!! He says……15 to 20 years (with time served) is FINE???? Ok….so since she will have about 5 years shaved off by the time this trial ever gets finished, that gives a murderer of her own baby 10 years in prison. With good behavior and overcrowding behind bars……..she could get a few more knocked off. Is he INSANE??? Would he want someone who murdered one of his children to get that same sentence?

• Andrea
      Sep 4 2010

hey Diana…yup… he’s lost it. he’s totally dim-witted and in cahoots with Baez, or something.

He is insane, Diane… he has to be…..

And, that’s exactly what I thought: if it were his child surely he would not be empathizing with the murderer????

I have to think it’s all an act. Could he be that stupid??? Are his ratings so bad that he’s trying to drum up a little extra press? Some numb-skulls like him believe bad or good, press is press when you’re down on your luck…. Guess he’s pretty desperate….

2. Sep 4 2010

Hi Andrea, yes i understand fully why you need to rant. Now i have to rant too. Rivera is a jackass and a has been. He has become as idiotic as his good buddy Baez/Bozo. The jackass is belittling the murder of a little innocent baby as if oh well, it has been happening for generations. Well jackass Geraldo tell that to a dead little girl that has no life on earth anymore thanks for her sorrry piece of crap Non Mother that took it away from her. Also Geraldo you lay down with fleas you get them too and heaven knows you and Baez are two flea bags happy as pigs in slop. Oh and here is a clue, we all know Bozo/Baez put you up to this farce and no one with any sense wants to hear it, got it? Your ill spoken words have no clout with us humans so take your old fashioned moth ridden mustache mouth somewhere else.

• Andrea
      Sep 4 2010

LOL!

3. Sep 4 2010

Hi Diana, good to see you. yes jackass Geraldo is insane. The time he suggest she gets is down right obsurd. Casey deserves death row or Lwop and that is what this baby killer witch will get and all the Geraldo’s in the world cannot change that. Caylees life meant something to us but obviously not to jackasses like Geraldo and Bozo.

4. Sep 4 2010

Andrea, thanks for the post, your right on with what you said too.

• Andrea
      Sep 4 2010

Hey Knight Owl…Thanks…. This article really got under my skin when I read it… how dare he is my feeling! He is in bed with Baez, or something misbegotten is going on for him so say such asinine things…. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

5. Sep 5 2010

Andrea, he is in bed with something alright. A snake. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, is right. nitey nite.

6. joyce wilson
    Sep 5 2010

I was shocked when all that Geraldo could call Casey was a “dim-wit.” Casey is a psychopathic, cold and calculating murderess!! The word “dim wit” is used very casually by many people sometime in a joking and loving manner and sometimes to truly define someone who is acting in a stupid manner. Never can a murderer’s actions be dismissed as the actions of a dim wit. Geraldo YOU are a dim wit for making such a statement and Jose you are a dim wit for taking one Casey as a client. Why don’t the two of you go have a taco.

• Andrea
      Sep 5 2010

Hi Joyce,

Choke on the taco while they’re at it!!!!!!

Seriously, I agree with you 100 percent; dim wit is a more of an endearing word, kind of like “knuckle-head” and not an apt description of someone who will kill in cold blood.

Never would any thinking person, in their right mind, call Casey Anthony anything other than a sick, narcissistic psychopath unless that person had a stake in the outcome, or something. Clearly Geraldo and Baez are buds, but where is their sense of decency???

thanks for visiting Joyce! Hope you’ll come back soon! 🙂

7. Venice
    Sep 5 2010

Geraldo….what a freaking joke!! You would think he would fade away after his Al Capone fiasco. LOL…go away Geraldo.

• Andrea
      Sep 5 2010

hey Venice,
      Yup… maybe he needs the publicity, or maybe he’s looking to get his nose bent out of shape the other way. Regardless, he has no compassion, or sense. No one with an ounce real character would speak like this…..it’s crass and maddening to say the least.

8. Hilde
    Sep 5 2010

Andrea~~ You are right on by saying Geraldo is not the Geraldo he used to be!
    Long time ago I liked Geraldo but time has changed him.
    I believe just like You said he wants to please the Mainstream News Viewer and therefore lost the Ability to be a good and honest News Reporter!
    I do not watch him any more, I have heard his View in the Anthony Case and it doesn’t make Sense whatsoever!
    I am not interested any more in whatever he has to say about this Case. He is very opinionated and leaning toward Casey’s Defense Team which as a Reporter he needs to stay neutral and just report the Facts. Another one I can’t stand watching is Jane Weintraub, she makes me furious, I try not to listen to her either, she also makes no Sense whatsoever. JMO

• Andrea
      Sep 6 2010

I have heard the name jane weintraub, but can’t place her, which is good because I probably wouldn’t care for her, either! LOL!

I can’t listen to Geraldo either. I really enjoyed his coverage of the OJ trial, but he’s not the same now. I guess he’s just playing for ratings now… bad way to do it, IMO….

9. Hilde
    Sep 5 2010

BTW the only Dim wit I can see is the Person who made that statement which would be no other than Geraldo! JMO
    No Surprise there!

• Andrea
      Sep 6 2010

Hey Hilde!

Yeah, you’re right! Sure no surprise there! Have a happy Labor Day! xoxoxoxoo

10. offthecuff
    Sep 5 2010

There are many who don’t support the DP. Perhaps the female in Casey is coloring Geraldo’s sense of justice. Too bad the value of Caylee’s life doesn’t outweigh that of the murderer to him.

He states that Baez would be a hero, if you cut through the BS. Is he referring to Baez’ BS? There’s an awful lot to cut away! I suppose anything is possible if the definition of hero is altered… Would Geraldo like to work for his buddy-bud?? Maybe he’d feel differently if Baez scammed him and owed him $$.

11. nina
    Sep 5 2010

I can see why Geraldo got punched in the nose once before…When it comes to the Anthony case he is leaning towards the Defense..Wonder how he would feel if his buddy Baez was never on the case..If he still would look at the Anthony case the same way.I don’t watch him because I don’t like him….He needs to cut though the BS and see this case for what it really is..!!!A mother that murdered her child and needs to be out away for the rest of her life..(Life without parole is what I would like to see happen to Casey….

• Andrea
      Sep 6 2010

Hi Nina,
      Well, at least Geraldo admits that Casey is guilty….However, he is clearly trying to do his friend Baez a favor by putting his two-cents out there. the only trouble is it infuriates people, just like it infuriates people when the Anthony’s do stupid and self-promoting things. We are all sick of it and want this case to focus on justice, and truth….if there is such a thing, we need to get to it!!!

12. Hilde
    Sep 6 2010

Andrea~~ Jane Weintraub is a Defense Attorney and appears occasionally on a Panel of different Attorney’s to discuss Criminal Cases. One of the Shows she has been on is JVM on HLN Channel. She is a very negative Person and for the most Part doesn’t make any Sense whatsoever. For Example she believes there is no direct Evidence which links Casey to the Murder of her Daughter Caylee, the Prosecution in her Mind doesn’t have a Case! :stupid:

• Andrea
      Sep 6 2010

Ohhhh, okay, I think I know who you’re referring to now. Yes, she’s very negative and seems to like being obnoxious – like it’s part of her act (like Geraldo is annoying, she’s just plain bold)… LOL!

I hear a lot of people say the same thing about direct evidence as Jane W is saying. They contend it’s the lack of significant DNA that ties Casey to the crime will be helpful for the defense. I disagree. I’m not sure if she’s calling DNA “direct” evidence, or not. Perhaps so.

However, for me, direct evidence is a-plenty: the rare duct tape used, which came from Ohio, I believe, where George Anthony and the Anthony’s moved from; the decomposition in the trunk, the identical laundry basket at the Anthony home and at the scene… and so on….

However, when you come right down to it, this IS a circumstantial case – a STRONG circumstantial case – so much so, it paints a literal picture of Casey’s direct involvement in this crime. When taken in whole, to me that’s evidence that directly convicts her.

it’s a strong case…I really believe that…

13. Hilde
    Sep 6 2010

should be :silly: not :stupid: lol but bot really apply when it comes to Jane Weintraub! 😆

14. Hilde
    Sep 6 2010

I too believe the State will put All the Evidence together and the Pieces will fall together to that Puzzle and there will be a Conviction in the End. The State will present a solid Case in spite of this Case being a circumstantial Case like we are so often reminded of.
    Circumstantial Cases are tried all the time and bring Convictions.
    I am very confident when this comes to Trial Caylee’s Voice will be heard loud and clear through all the Evidence the Prosecution will present. JMO

15. Andrea
    Sep 6 2010

Yup, I totally agree. People are convicted all the time for far less evidence than what the state has against Casey.

when you think about it, the Scott Peterson case didn’t have nearly as much evidence as what the State of Florida has against Casey Anthony and he was convicted. So, yes, I agree with you, she will be convicted and Caylee’s voice WILL be heard, as you say. I really like and trust the folks in the State Attny’s office in Orlando. I think Caylee’s memory will be in good hands with them….. I really do!

16. jon
    Sep 7 2010

Weintraub is a super abrasive attorney (pro defendant) who appears on HLN, sometimes JVM and at others NG. She’s totally obnoxious and self-assured not to mention LOUD. As for Geraldo, when they broke down the wall to Al Capone’s secret “treasure room” and it was empty, he lost all credibility. He’s a total jerk and loudmouth.

17. Andrea
    Sep 7 2010

LOL, Jon! Yes, he’ll never live that Capone Fiasco down…. what a joke that was… As for Weintraub… I think she’s the one who, when I hear the voice, I mute the TV or change the channel! LOL! I don’t watch NG too much, and when I do, it’s only for at most, 5 minute intervals… she gets on my last nerve! Maybe when she discusses the Anthony case again, I’ll be able to stomach that voice…. we’ll see! 🙂

18. notthatsmart2010
    Sep 7 2010

Geraldo has no idea whether Kc is guilty or not. We have not even heard her side of the story. He is just doing the popular thing to say she is guilty. Its popular and it makes money. An innocent Kc is worth nothing to a reporter. thanks

19. jon
    Sep 10 2010

Hi Andrea: Thank God for the MUTE button on the remote! I wish I could saw Weintraub is the only one I push it for!

20. Lana
    May 25 2011

If what baez says is true, casey is one hell of a women. she has been nearly crucified and not even given a chance. i was in an abusive relationship and didn’t really think about how much i had to lie just to be safe. she has at least reminded me of the life some still live in. She looks so different. ather or not she walks, she is at peace. maybe we all need to remember things ar en’t always what they look like. I think and always have that George was a big looser

• May 25 2011

Hi Lana, nothing Baez said is true. He doesn’t have to speak the truth in his opening. To prove what he’s suggesting, he has to put Casey on the stand – no one will believe her, so she is toast, and so is Baez’s stupid idea of a defense.