December 2, 2010

Baez: This you know!

As discussed in the most recent court hearing in the Casey Anthony case, the Honorable Judge Perry made a very clear, utterly succinct ruling regarding the disclosure of details surrounding the content of the defense expert witness testimony.

Jose Baez has until 4 pm tomorrow (December 3rd) to submit, to the State of Florida, details surrounding what the defense experts are going to testify to at trial.  This type of rule is a common one within the rules of discovery in criminal cases in the state of Florida.

So, what does Baez submit to the State?  A LIST of names, addresses and phone numbers of the expert witnesses!

Assistant State Attorney Jeffrey Ashton, responding to what is sent, attempts to clarify to Baez what the court intended when it made its ruling, on Monday of this week.

He wrote to Baez:

That is not what the judge ordered. He order [sic] you to provide the matters in writing.  I want a written statement of the substance of their testimony as ordered by the court….(sentence blacked out) …. Do you agree with my interpretation of the Judges oral pronouncement?  If not, we can seek time with the court to have him clarify any confusion. Thank you.

To which Baez replies:

You know what are [sic} all of the forensic issues are. If you have a question about any particular witness, just ask and I will be more than happy to answer it.  (sentence blacked out) ….Just ask me what you want to know.

I clearly remember Baez saying the exact same thing in open court and the Judge responded, pointedly, that the defense MUST respond in writing with the intent and subject matter surrounding the TESTIMONY of the expert witnesses!

Is Baez daft?  Did he not listen, or does he simply not follow the rules?  Is he that bold that he would deliberately do the exact opposite of what the Judge ordered?   What a NERVE!

And not only does he not respond as requested, when he DOES respond what does he say in an email to Ashton?  Over and over he repeats the phrase “you know this” with regards to a expert name on the list.  The tenor and tone of the email response is utterly condescending!

Here’s a sample of what Baez sends to Ashton – this is how he follows the courts orders:

Now, I know our system of justice is “adversarial” but what Baez sent and responded to is beyond the pale of rude and most assuredly unprofessional.

This is how Baez wants to win his cases…. he wants “shock and awe.”  I truly believe that he wants to surprise the State by not sharing with them what these expert witnesses found.  The rules of discovery require that he share the findings of these witnesses!

A motion was filed today by Assistant Attorney Jeff Aston for a hearing on the matter.  Here’s a link to the motion.

Unbelievable.

1. grownyoungmom
    Dec 2 2010

I really hope the judge slaps Baez with contempt. He is such a sleezeball!!

• Andrea
      Dec 2 2010

LOL!

I’d like to see some sense knocked into him!

You know, the case he had just before Casey Anthony’s – I forget the name of the defendant – but it was a child murder scenario, I believe. Anyway, I recall he did this very thing in that trial… he tried to surprise the state – throw them off guard. That’s how he attempted to win the case, but he lost it. I’ll have to look that up…. 🙂

2. offthecuff
    Dec 2 2010

Baez is like that kid who refuses to do his homework. Then when forced, only completes a portion.

Is this how he has worked his whole life?

I suppose either it’s too much work for him, or he really doesn’t know what he hopes to address with his experts.

• Andrea
      Dec 2 2010

Hey off the cuff,

Good to see ya! I think this is how he’s tried to work things in his life – taking short cuts that are not quite “against” the grain, but nearly.

Or, you could be right – it could be a matter of his not knowing what the hell he’s going to do with regards to these experts since he’s lost Linda Kinney Baden.

Maybe he’s shaking in his shoes over the forensic evidence… It could be he’s a fish out of water with regards to forensics, I don’t really know, but that would be my guess, judging from how he’s handled other aspects of this case.

3. Venice
    Dec 2 2010

I feel for the professionals of the State having to deal with this clown! Baez is mocking this to the very end………

• Andrea
      Dec 3 2010

Me too, Venice, me too. I am wondering what Judge Perry is going to do to reign him in…. I think it’s a fine line that the Judge has to walk, he doesn’t want to make a mockery of Baez, surely, but then he has to do something, I would think. Casey Anthony has the right to have effective counsel.

Anyway, I’m not sure what the Judge could or would do aside from sanctions…. it will be interesting to see how this plays out. It may be just a slap on the wrist, though.

4. Dec 3 2010

the more i listen to the defense during casey’s hearings, the more intelligent i feel. who knows, by the end of the trial, i may consider myself a genius.

• Andrea
      Dec 3 2010

LOL!!!! GREAT line, Midget! Love it!

5. Molly
    Dec 3 2010

what an arrogant snot.
    he wants to do the least amount of work & keep everything close to the vest. but why he is disregarding the order from the court is beyond me. i too remember Perry cutting right across baezs’ talk of “just let me know what you want” stating to baez to submit the details in written form!!
    Perry’s going to be thrilled about this. it’s time for a reprimand.

6. Rob
    Dec 3 2010

Andrea, It is very apparent why the state of Florida, did not let Baez practice law for many years after he passed the Bar. He dropped out of high school, joined the navy, received his G.E.D. went to a no name law school, and graduated at the bottom of his class. He should go back to marketing Brazilian Bikini’s, I say Casey got the kind of lawyer she deserves. What a fool. He has no class, and it is very apparent he thinks this case will be his Cash Cow Mr. Ashton is too much of a gentleman to be putting up with the likes of a bottom feeder like Baez.

• Andrea
      Dec 3 2010

Hey Rob,

You sure make a great point – I remember reading that article about him, too.

Casey Anthony has to be missing some section of her brain… why else would she keep him on this case? Her very life is in his hands. I sure wouldn’t want my life in his, would you? OMG – how scary!

As you know, I am vehemently opposed to the Death Penalty as punishment, and that’s what scares me, that his incompetence will lead her right to her own demise…

He’s going to make a mess of the forensics now that Linda Kinney Baden is gone – unless Cheney is skilled in that area….

What bothers me is I want Casey Anthony to put on a vigorous defense… not a fishing expedition or a pack of lies from start to finish, which is what it’s kind of looking like it will be.

7. Venice
    Dec 3 2010

Rob,

I couldn’t have said it better myself!!!!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )