December 28, 2010

but this is death

Something is wrong here. Something is terribly wrong and no one is doing anything to stop it.

Have we forgotten that Casey Anthony has her nose pressing against the glass of the death chamber?

We spend so much time lambasting Jose Baez – making fun of his incompetent antics in the courtroom, that we forget there is a human being who, as a result of his incompetence, is likely to pay the ultimate price.

Death is looming large.  It is getting more and more certain as each day unfolds unto the next.  Days are falling off the calendar so swiftly.  It will be 2011 in a few days and the start of the Casey Anthony trial is a mere five months away. This means that the certain pronouncement of death is coming like a train that will not be derailed.

As I sit here writing this, I know I am powerless to do anything. I am writing words that few will see and even fewer will really care about.  As I sit here I am envisioning Jose Baez as conductor of the certain death sentence for Casey Anthony.  He is stoking that death engine like a conductor who is blinded by the thrill of the train’s speed.

Casey Anthony seems oblivious to the chug-a-chug-a-chug-a-chugging of Jose Baez’s incompetence.

On her young and pimply face, she wears a school-girls crush on Jose Baez.  She sits in that courtroom, vacant, seemingly without awareness of the fate that awaits her.  She sits there, dazed, looking out of eyes that do not see the train that’s coming.  We see her smiling, too.  She’s foolish, this we know, but I can’t stand to see her being bamboozled so badly that she smiles at death.

Who will protect Casey Anthony from herself? Baez is not even qualified to try a death penalty case, and yet he is doing so!  Aren’t there protections in the system to ensure this doesn’t happen?

Why are the people of Orlando and the State of Florida allowing this to happen?  Do they hate Casey Anthony so much they will allow an incompetent defense, and pay for it too?

She is facing death, and most likely a retrial, if Jose Baez is left to his own devices.

Death Penalty cases are thrown out all the time when it’s determined that the defendant had ineffective counsel.  But, it’s always after the fact.  It is always post trial that death cases are retried to the cost of thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Death is expensive. However, I am not writing about the money. I am writing about the final judgment of death and how wrong the system is that allows it to happen so easily.

Doesn’t the State of Florida have the power to stop Jose Baez from continuing to make a mess of this case and serve death to his client?

Can no one intervene?  Where are the watchdogs?

Is this happening in other courtrooms across Florida?  Are defendants being represented by attorneys that are incompetent?  What about the truly innocent who are lead to their death?  We know that happens, but that’s a different topic for another time. This is about Casey Anthony who is not innocent but is being lead to her death like a horse is led to water.

It is not a fair system when a defendant assists in assuring they receive a penalty of death.

Why are we allowing this to happen?  Is it because we despise the act Casey Anthony has committed?  We care about justice for Caylee, that goes without saying.  But something is wrong with this kind of justice.

We know Casey Anthony is vapid, unfeeling and blank.  But, she sits between people in a courtroom who care not for her but for the fame her crime delivers.  This in itself is wrong.

Death is different. It is final and something is wrong with a system that allows a defendant to unwittingly walk themselves to the their own death as if suicide were an answer.

I have no answers here.  I have no answers, only questions.  I hate the death penalty, though it is just for the John Wayne Gacy’s of the world – and other monsters like him.

People who read this are likely to think I’m a worry-wart because I’m putting the cart before the horse here.  And it’s true, but I see death coming in this case; I see it and hear it chugging along just as sure as I see the sun in the sky.

And I don’t like it. I don’t like what I see in that Orlando courtroom.

1. katydid
    Dec 28 2010

No worries. CA will have a competent attorney during the penalty phase. Ann Finnell is a very competent attorney.

• Dec 28 2010

Yes, that’s true, Katydid, but I think it’s a terrible statement about our Judicial System that we allow attorneys like Baez try death cases, especially high profile ones. Now I know that it’s CA who is crying “innocent” here, but a good lawyer would cut that BS out of his vocabulary and try the case for its merits only. But, you’re right….I shouldn’t worry, but I do because I hate the death penalty.

2. Venice
    Dec 28 2010

Very good article! I agree….where is the intervention among the chaos caused by that bumbling defense? Baez is not representing his usual domestic violence cases, and he needs to step his inept self aside and let someone fight for Casey’s life!!!

• Dec 28 2010

Thanks, Venice. And intervention is surely needed here. I don’t know how these things work, but maybe it will start with the sanctions and the possible contempt charges against Baez. I think there should be ways to intervene when incompetence is so blatant….. I believe Judge Perry is the one to intervene here, as it’s his court. But, he wants to move this case along and so maybe he’s putting up with the nonsense just to deliver justice – surely he sees the guilt written on the wall, just as we all do.

3. cali patti
    Dec 28 2010

Here you are again writing an article that has me thinking. I also do not think our nation should be in the business of killing people however I have come to think the death penalty should be a victims familys decision.
    I remember thinking when the state asked for the death penalty it was to insure that “somewhat” they would have a tougher jury seated. I thought it was a game play move at the time.
    The analogy of Baez as a conductor is a good one. I have always considered it a huge probability that the verdict will be overturned and the State of Florida will be doing this all again. With Judge Perry now on the bench that possibility has lessened.

• Dec 28 2010

Hi Cali patti! So nice to hear from you. You know, I think the victims family is also important in this decision, but I would be afraid to leave it up to them solely as revenge is sometimes all they want. It is part of the American Psyche to want an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, death for a death, but that’s not a fair way to deliver justice as too many innocent people are charged with death when they didn’t commit a crime. There are plenty of relentless police officers and State Attorney’s out there who are under great pressure to solve cases. They have to contend with families who want swift justice, too. It’s just a mess. An the DP is really not a deterrent, this has been proved. Anyway, we will have to wait this one out. I think that the hearing on Jan. 3rd should be pretty telling as to what sanctions will be imposed on Baez…

4. Dec 28 2010

Hi Andrea, good article but i can’t agree with any of it but i do hate it is so upsetting to you as your a nice person that i like very much. Casey was asked by Judge Strickland if she was satisfied with her attorney Jose Baez and she said yes. Jose Baez is the lead attorney but Cheny Mason is her death qualified attorney. Lousey as they both may be, Casey is satisfied with them. George didn’t like Baez from day one and wanted to get Casey another lawyer but she wouldn’t have it. Plus i don’t agree the death penalty should just be for the John Gacy’s of the world . It is not the amount of lives one person takes as one life is one too many. Casey purposely took Caylee’s life from her for her own selfish reasons and she was an innocent toddler that couldn’t defend herself. Casey didn’t care for giving Caylee the death penalty so what i say, what goes around comes around. At least Casey is getting a trial, Caylee got nothing~~ I have no sympathy for Casey and her fate. She had a choice and she chose evil and now she will get her just desserts and Caylee deserves justice, she sure didn’t get anything in life that was fair and didn’t even get to see her third Birthday~~ Only a monster intentionally kills their child and Casey is that Monster.

• Dec 28 2010

Hey my friend, well, we sure can agree to disagree about this. 🙂 And, I can certainly understand where you’re coming from – i really can. And, yes, Casey did agree with keeping Jose and accepted Cheney, so it’s fair because she got what she wanted, in the end. I guess what really irks me, when you come right down to it, is Baez. Why in God’s name does he not realize that he’s out of his league in this case? Now, I am sure Baez himself feels that he’s doing his very best for Casey, but his best is just not good enough. His best is not enough. He’s making the Criminal Justice System look like a fool’s game.
      Casey Anthony is too immature to know what is good for her. She would never listen to her parents because she hated them so.
      Yes, Caylee got a cruel death sentence. She is the one who is important here – we need to ensure that Caylee’s short life was not lived in vain and that justice will be served in her name. I agree, but I don’t want Casey to pay with death…………..

5. Dec 28 2010

Hi to everyone here and hope all of you had a great Christmas.

6. Dec 28 2010

If Casey gets the death penalty it will not be a mistake. She committed the crime.

7. snowedin
    Dec 28 2010

If Casey is capable of making the decision to kill her daughter she is capable of determining her future. She has so many choices and she has made up her mind to gamble her life. Some see that as a tragedy but it is what she wants, she is an adult and can make up her own mind, Caylee could not.

Lets face it, if she did get the DP there is an automatic appeal. Typically these go on for years and depending on the political state of mind it could be abolished but then again maybe not. She could sit with an appeal well after we are all dead and gone waiting to get out and adopt that kid.

The only thing wrong with our system is that it lets inexperienced lawyers like baez represent defendants like her in court. This could have ended long ago with a plea deal but it was Casey who has chosen different.

• Dec 28 2010

Hi Snowedin. You know, I couldn’t agree with you more. Casey DID make the decisions here to gamble away her life. She’s a foolish young woman who killed her own daughter and now is getting dealt the cards she cut herself. She could have agreed to a plea, but she did not and Baez, knowing she is guilty, should have walked away from the case, knowing he couldn’t win, he should have thrown up his hands and told her “you won’t win” and then be done with it.

His job is to challenge the evidence that the state holds. Well, they have so much; we knew from day one that the evidence against her is strong. I just question how an attorney could stomach defending someone he knows is guilty, without insisting they take a plea. I mean, if the defense attorney sees some possibility of reckless prosecution, or of evidence that is so weak that his client has a fighting chance, that’s what defense attorney’s are for, in my opinion.
      Defense attorneys must have scruples and beliefs in justice. Maybe I am naive, but I think Casey is in this predicament because she both loves and trusts Baez, who is taking advantage of the opportunity for fame in this case.

8. Dec 28 2010

Hi Andrea, yea we can definitely agree to disagree as we all have our feelings on these things. I will say i do agree with you about Baez aside from the part where you said you guess Baez thinks he is doing his best for his client. My opinion from watching Baez work is he cares nothing about his client. He saw this getting so much notoriety he immediately kicked in to his own selfish agenda which was making a famous name for himself and hoping for the big bucks in the end from making appearances on this and that show, book deals, as being this big attorney for Casey Anthony. He surely knows she is guilty as sin in my opinion but he doesn’t care about that either, as to him, it is not about Caylee either and her justice. It is all about Greed~~ A good lawyer would have had Casey plead out way early on in the case before Caylee was ever found but that wouldn’t have gotten Baez the notoriety he seeks. My opinion is Baez wanted this to go to trial as he is stupid enough to think he can win it and then be a big shot. Casey and Baez are cut from the same cloth, everything is all about them, no one else, so in that sense it is poetic justice Casey chose to keep a lawyer that is as self centered as she is. It is a henious crime against an innocent child and it sure would not have been any justice for Caylee had Baez pleaded Casey out early on. That to me would be to much like a slap on Casey’s wrist and not what she deserves so i am happy she is going to trial. Casey is not acting worried because she thinks she is going to beat this crime. I view Casey as arrogant and cocky and a person who thinks she can beat this crime with manipulation and that is why she likes Baez. He is a manipulator like her so she thinks he will succeed in manipulating a jury and she knows like her he has no ethics and will try to use every dirty trick in the book and use lies the same as she does. Casey is correct on that part as he has already shown this is his MO, with trying to railroad the innocent to take the fall. I think she deserves death as why should she live when she had no care that Caylee live? However, if she get’s life without parole i can live with that as she will be out of circulation as i believe Casey would kill another child whether it be hers should she have another one or a boyfriend’s she got jealous of. I also believe had Cindy not gotten Casey so riled up with the fight between the two of them on the nite of the 15th that made her jump start killing Caylee sooner than planned, Casey would be looking at charges for three killings. She wanted the family house and she has no use for George or Cindy. Casey along with her parents and no doubt brother Lee too would in my opinion from watching them through this whole time trying to railroad innocent people, allow an innocent person to die for Casey’s crime before they would speak up and tell the truth. That is who we are talking about here. Caylee was the only pure and good thing they had going for them and their evil daughter killed her.

• Dec 28 2010

OMG. You are truly on point here. You are totally, totally right about the psyche’s of Baez and Casey. Perhaps I have it all wrong, and am feeling that Casey is getting used by a system that she doesn’t understand and cannot manipulate.
      I also think that Casey was going to do away with her parents, if given the opportunity to carry out the act….

You make so many excellent points, KnightOwl. Thank you so much, you have given us so much more to think about….

9. Dec 28 2010

The part i see wrong with our justice system is when they get the death penalty it is never carried out before the person is too old to step over a cob. I believe in an appeal because in some cases the jury does get it wrong but not decades before they carry out the sentence.

• Dec 28 2010

Hey Knight and the world famous Louie! I have to agree with you on this. What is the point of a death penalty if the convict sits in relative comfort (relative to the victim). While I am aware sometimes an innocent is convicted it seems with DNA and other methods fewer innocents will be convicted. With that said – Casey in my opinion, is no innocent and deserves her fate.

Hi Andrea! Great article!

• Dec 28 2010

Hey Kim! Yes, that’s basically why I am so against the death penalty, because so many innocents are victims. There are thousands of people who have had their sentences commuted due to DNA testing after the fact. But, Casey is surely, as you say, not an innocent – not by a long shot. I feel as though Baez is to blame, but as KnightOwl so aptly points out, they (Casey and Baez) are cut from the same cloth. They try to be master manipulators, but Jose is just not smart enough for the likes of Judge Perry (I hope). I just hate the thought of a client getting handed the death penalty as a result of incompetent counsel. it just makes my blood boil!

• Dec 28 2010

I feel certain that once she is convicted if she should somehow get death any fouls ups on Baez’s part will be deftly handled by the appellate attorney. I don’t think she will get death though. I am beginning to doubt she will even get LWOP.

10. Dec 28 2010

I will say one positive note about Baez but only one. I don’t think he thought when he was seeking his greed and notoriety that he was paving the path to get his client killed. I believe he most likely about passed out himself when Caylee’s remains were found and her skull was in tact with the duct tape over her mouth and nose. He wanted his fame and yet i believe though he cares very little for Casey, he doesn’t want to get her killed but it is too late.

11. Dec 28 2010

Andrea, Hugs to you. must go for now.

• Dec 28 2010

hugs to you, too, Knightowl. Thank you so much for sharing your insight here today – your observations and opinions are very well thought out and so appreciated!!!!

12. Dec 28 2010

Hey Kim, I hope you’re right about the DP. I am just afraid that that State will present such a solid case (thinking back to Ashton’s monologue in the courtroom regarding how Caylee must have died), that the jury will be so angry they will want the DP without question. And, they are going to pick a jury that’s pro death penalty, too. I know juries are less likely to sentence a woman to death, so we’ll see. She deserves LWOP. She should not enjoy the freedoms she took from Caylee.

13. cali patti
    Dec 28 2010

I do not believe in the death penalty, neither did the doctor in Conn. whose wife and two daughters were tortured/murdered. That doctor that did not want the death penalty in his state now wants the death penalty of the two men who killed his family.
    His case is different in as there is NO doubt of guilt.
    If that nightmare happens to us will we or I be able to stand with my convictions?
    I have read where victims familys have asked the prosecution not to seek the death penalty, so that is what I meant by the familys choice. I also do not believe in revenge. I do believe in Karma.
    I do agree with innocent people are being convicted and over charged everyday. I understand distrust of our system.

14. cali patti
    Dec 28 2010

Anyone remember the Cynthia Sommer case? I followed that case closely and was absolutely devasted at her conviction. I did think at the time her atty was so confident in her innocence that he was way to laid back in her defense.
    Her past atty, new atty with many judges and legal people working behind the scene finally had her conviction overturned and she was released from prison after 2 years with a statement that she would never be retried. There was NO evidence to show she had anything to do with her husbands murder.

Cynthia Sommer never should have been tried in the first place.
    Just an example why the the death penalty is questionable.

• Dec 28 2010

Hi Cali patti… you make so many good points….I believe in Karma, too, and it is a certainty 🙂

I think you ask a really hard question with regards to asking if it happened to us, would we want the DP. I have thought a lot about that question. And have come to the conclusion that if I were to be for the death penalty, I would have to live with it for the rest of my life – live with that guilt and even though the person was a monster, I would not want to live with death on my conscious.

I don’t really remember much about the case you mention about Cynthia Sommer – I’ll have to look it up. But it’s comforting to know that the system finally worked for her.

• cali patti
        Dec 28 2010

Possibly I identified as a mom, I had struggled with small children for a time. Actually I did NOT think the system worked for Cynthia Sommer. I think great legal minds with money and power worked for her. Left alone the system put her in prison for life with no hope.

Ok, I would ban the DP if I could, period.
        Maybe I am a fence crawler by trying to allow the victims family a say.

• Dec 28 2010

Nah, not a fence crawler….just human.

15. Hilde
    Dec 28 2010

Hi Every One!
    I hope All of You had a peaceful and nice Christmas 🙂
    Myself I have to agree with Kim, I do not believe Casey will get the Death Penalty. Life without Parole would suit me just fine. Anyway You look at it, You do the Crime You have to do the Time! Caylee’s Death should not be in vain. She deserves Justice.
    Andrea, You have a good Heart I can tell by the Way You write. Don’t worry too much about Casey not getting a fair shake in the upcoming Trial, I believe she will and Justice will be fair considering the Crime committed
    against an innocent Child.
    Again, I do not believe Casey will get the DP. I could be wrong but I don’t believe so.

• Dec 28 2010

Hey Hilde! Hope you had a lovely Christmas, too. I sure did – plenty of family in town – it was very special.

I really want to believe that Casey will not get the DP, Hilde, but the more I see how the defense is behaving, the more I think they are going to go down big time. The State (rightly so) has so much evidence and it’s a done deal that she will be convicted….I just am worried that Jose is making it worse.
      I think that Casey will be let down by Baez in the long run, and hope that things will all get worked out by the appellate process in the end.

So good to hear from you, Hilde 🙂

16. Dec 28 2010

Hi Andrea, i am happy if i gave you some insight to ponder and your very welcome. I am just an average jane doe here writing what i think like anyone else. Casey likes Baez as he is one of her own kind.

17. Dec 28 2010

Hi ya Kim/manfred, Louie says hi too. I have to say some days i think like you that Casey may not even get Lwop. All it takes is a juror with no sense in their heads to believe Casey didn’t even do the crime. Then i think, have faith, what were the odds the most damming part of Caylees body was left in tact and was found to nail Casey after going through terential flooding rains and winds from hurricane fay and animal predators carrying her bones off. There has to be a divine reason for this and a divine one watching over this case for justice for sweet Caylee.

• Dec 29 2010

I so hope you are right, Knight. It would be a miscarriage of justice in my mind if she doesn’t at least get LWOP

• Dec 29 2010

Amen to that, Knight owl. Amen to that! Well said, too.

18. Dec 28 2010

Hi Hilde and Cali Patti.

19. Rob
    Dec 29 2010

Hi Andrea, Your article has given me so much to think about. It makes you wonder what kind of justice system we have, when an incompetent fool like Baez is allowed to make a mockery of our courts. Yes, even a sociopath like Casey deserves adequate representation. The way Baez, and the Anthony family has used the media for money is criminal. What in the world did Baez do with the $3000,000, he received from ABC, and others? How many defendants have over a quarter of a million dollars to spend on their defense? Now the state is paying to prosecute and defend Casey. Baez should have his license to practice law taken away. By all accounts, he should have never been given a license to begin with.

• Dec 29 2010

Hey Rob, Yes, that’s exactly what I mean – the fact that an incompetent lawyer like Baez can behave like this and get away with it! It seems to me that our system should have stop-gaps to prevent this type of situation from occurring. I feel as if Baez, instead of trying his case, is trying to see how to far he can go to wiggle outside of the law.
      It doesn’t seem to me that what is doing is always ethical.

20. Patty
    Dec 29 2010

I have every confidence in Florida jurors. From what I’ve seen with trials in that state, they don’t fool around!! KC has boo coo lawyers working for her. Baez is the main “mouth piece”. She has chosen to ignore her parents and brother who quite possibly could have given her some degree of counsel regarding JB. I think Lee mainly, would speak absolutely straight to her in an opinion about JB. She choses not to speak to them. Oh well, she’s locked up on a “whim”…remember?

• Dec 29 2010

Hi Patty, That’s true… she didn’t listen to any of them, they tried to warn her. And, OMG, I remember her saying she was locked up on “some whim.” That was so bizarre, I remember thinking at the time….! Her daughter missing is “a whim.” Sheesh!

21. Patty
    Dec 29 2010

Yeah, that “whim” was CA calling LE and KC landing in jail! Remember that first call home to get Tony’s phone number. OMG. To this day, everytime I hear it I’m shocked.

• Dec 29 2010

I sure do remember it… I listened to it again about a week ago and it shocked me anew! That was the “real” Casey. She never suspected that call would be used against her. What was so amazing to me was when the young women was crying and asking about Caylee, and Casey said, in response: “This was a waste, a total waste.” Heartless and sick.

22. Patty
    Dec 29 2010

Remember KC said “all anyone cares about is Caylee” and after a beat or two, said “and I do too”. I really don’t know how CA and GA tolerated her for all those years. The term “problem child” was invented for KC!

• Dec 29 2010

Oh yeah, I remember that, too. It was as if she quickly threw in the “and I do too” as an after thought – she didn’t mean it at all. God, that was so cold! I often wonder what the dynamics were in that household for Casey and Lee growing up. I am so anxious to read the psychology of these people….. all of them. It will be eye opening, to say the least.

23. Patty
    Dec 29 2010

Remember that whole explanation by CA that KC was protecting Caylee and the family by not telling anyone about the kidnapping? Well I’ve always wondered how it is that KC didn’t fight tooth and nail to grab that phone from CA’s hand when she was calling the cops. Isn’t that what a frantic mother would do if she needed to keep it quiet to protect Caylee?

24. Venice
    Dec 29 2010

Very Good Observation!!!!

25. offthecuff
    Dec 30 2010

“Death is different. It is final…”

Death is not so final. You know this.

• Dec 30 2010

Hi Offthecuff,
      Yes, I do know that death is not final for the one sentenced to it. But it is final for those who vote to punish by death. And it is absolute for those still on earth. Nothing can bring one back if later it’s found that all the lawyers, the judges, and the twelve jurors were wrong. Now, I know this won’t be the case in the Casey Anthony trial as the jurors will know for a certainty who has murdered Caylee. But what about all the many others who are sentenced to their death but are actually innocent? It happens – a lot. And who are we to sentence another human being to death? We should not be in judgment of life itself, in my opinion.
      So, yeah, I know and believe that death is not final – with a certainty I know that. But I also know that for those of us left here on earth, death is final.

26. Charissa Remkus
    Jan 20 2011

Thank you very much for the entry, I even learned a lot from it. Really quality content on this blog. Always looking forward to new articles.

27. Jun 4 2011

As a person that watches cases on TV, reads message boards, and lives in live chat during televised trials, I am also an advocate of Life in prison. I do not believe in the death penalty.

As this case progresses, I sit in wonderment that the court does not call a mistrial. I feel Casey is guilty, a liar, and a callous person, however I do believe in having a fair trial. Jose Baez the clown is probably the worst I have seen in my entire life. I would like to actually see his grades from K-Law School, because I don’t think he is who he says he is. He reminds me of a bad used car salesman, than never sold one car.

He should be ordered to pay back the state for crimes against Florida law.

Does anyone else think a public defender would have been better suited?

• Jun 4 2011

Hi abutterflyloves..! I love the screen name you’ve chosen!

I am with you with regards to the Death Penalty and your sense of wonderment that the court can allow the accused such a poor defense. Something is not right – Casey needs someone to protect her from what looks like malpractice from where I sit. But, then I have to always remind myself, Casey is an adult and she chose Baez. She was asked by both Judge Strickland and Judge Perry if she was satisfied with her representation, both times she said yes.
      A public defender on this case would have been much more well suited – NO question about that! Public Defenders Offices will not allow their lawyers to try a DP case until they are fully experienced and have gone through all the steps needed for qualification to try such a case. So yes, she would have fared much better.
      Also, what really makes me angry, Baez should KNOW he is not the right lawyer for the job – it is a crime (IMO) to allow a lawyer with no experience to try a case when a life is on line.
      It’s like replacing a Principle Singer in the Metropolitan Opera with a singer fresh out of high school. It’s just a joke.