January 24, 2011

there are just no words….

Today, the State of Florida ASA Linda Drane Burdick filed a motion that held not a single word describing the purpose of the motion.  The motion contained ONLY a listing of 21 items of discovery received from Jose Baez, on January 14, on a flash drive.  (Note: Neither the State nor the Defense need to file motions with a listing of the discovery material received or sent.)

The flash drive with the “discovery” contained:  Videos from WFTV news casts.  Yes, you read that right.  There are 5 WFTV videos. There is one WESH news cast, and one from WKMG.  There are videos of the Psychic Gail St. John.  There is even a video of the Psychic Network show hosted by Gail St. John.

This is discovery?

There are photos, too.  One photo of Sargent John Allen.  There’s even a photo of Assistant Attorney’s Linda Drane Burdick, with Jeff Ashton, and Frank George, on Suburban Drive.

This is discovery?

There are 9 photos that are merely numbered from 005 to 013 with no identifying notations. There are background reports on State witnesses; there is a CBS photo titled “New Evidence in the Caylee Case” but there is no identifying information as to its value.

Again, this is discovery?

Well, this is Jose Baez’s idea of discovery.

At this point, Jose Baez and his actions are no longer laughable.

What he is doing is a slap in the face to the court; it is terribly disrespectful to the State Attorney’s Office, and it appears to be another willful attempt by Baez to stick his middle finger out at the legal system.

As mentioned earlier, Linda Drane Burdick filed the motion without comment.  She only listed the items received.

I don’t doubt that she is at a loss for words.

Here is the motion filed by ASA Linda Drane Burdick:  State of Florida’s Inventory of Discovery on Flash Drive Received 1/14/2011

If Casey Anthony’s life did not hang in the balance, we might all get a good laugh at this.

And, Jose Baez has a deadline approaching – he had to have filed his Expert Witness Report on Dr. Kenneth Furton by January 19th (Judge Perry ordered it due in 10 days from Jan. 5th), and the rest of his reports are due 20 days from Jan. 5th, I believe.  Perhaps he followed the Judge’s orders and filed it on time, and in full.  There’s no way of knowing, at this point.  We’ll have to see.

However, this latest filing of discovery, in my opinion, rises to the level of another willful violation.  Will contempt be the next step?  I would not be the least bit surprised if it happens.

Take a look at the list that Linda Drane Burdick filed in the motion that is on the link above.

Did she deliberately let the list speak for itself?  Yes, I believe so.

Strong commentary to the court about Jose Baez.

1. Jan 24 2011

sigh

I think he is contemptuous as you had stated before but I also think he is grossly incompetent – the list does indeed speak for itself

• Jan 24 2011

Hey Kim! I know… Double sigh here, too. I agree about the grossly incompetent….sadly, that seems accurate.

2. Sherry
    Jan 24 2011

He doesn’t have anything. He has ripped his client off. Has he given the State a better description of what his experts will testify to?

• Jan 24 2011

If he doesn’t turn in the Expert Witness reports as Judge Perry ordered, he will not be allowed to have them testify…. And that only hurts Casey Anthony’s ability to put on a fair trial (unless of course, these witnesses agree with the state, LOL!). The whole purpose of discovery is to not ambush the other side. Heck, it could be that Baez believes his only chance is to “ambush”

3. offthecuff
    Jan 24 2011

Perhaps this would also be laughable if the price tag wasn’t so high. Contemptuous to the court, contemptuous to his client, contemptuous to the public.

Florida should be demanding their money back.

• Jan 24 2011

Oh, I know, Offthecuff. And, the Judge said as much in court about a week or so ago. Judge Perry made a really interesting comment in open court about how there are civil attorneys making a living by suing other attorney’s for bilking money from the JAC. It sounded like a warning to Baez….

4. Jan 24 2011

Baeeeeze has slapped the prosecution a second time. i can only hope that Judge Perry will slap Dumbo with a charge of contempt. i truly believe baeeeze gets his “cookies” by being obnoxious. i cannot wait until the trial starts!

• Jan 24 2011

I know, Midget! I sure feel the same way…. it’s cRaZy!

5. Jan 24 2011

Hi Andrea, Baez is looking to get off the case, thrown off that is, for incompetence. He cannot quit because that was stipulated at the time Casey was declared indigent.
    What a great article and I love the way you worded it. Do you mind if I put a link in my blog to this post? I would like my folks to come in and read it.

• Jan 24 2011

Hi Jonathon! Of course you can put a link to your blog. That would be an honor. 🙂

You know, I hadn’t thought of that – that Baez probably wants to be kicked off the case…. Lots of verdicts are overturned for that reason – That could certainly be true – but it’s sure a lousy way to go about it! LOL!
      Thank you so much for your kind words, it means a lot to me…

6. Jan 24 2011

yes bozo thinks he has had it now.no money for him no workie and what a lousy job he is doing on this case.let alone the other stupid one chenny mason.they both think or thought should l say they were coming into big money well bozo the clown thats what happens when you think you will WIN THIS CASE BUT ITS BACK FIRING YOU RIGHT?THE SAME WITH YOUR PARTNER .wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people like you are the ones that think you can walk all over the state but remember that the law here is differant then the law in spanol.hope you get charged again.see what happens when you want the judge accuse himself which l know you know we talk about stricklin.you deserve what you get and more.people for those of you that dont know bozos middlename is ANGEL and the DEVIL is we what he should have been named.

7. Molly
    Jan 24 2011

He can’t be serious with that so called “discovery”! there must be some other reason behind this nonsense. is it a joke? is he just trying to waste everyone’s time (again)? or you could be right, is he trying to get thrown off for imcompetence or idiocy!
    photo’s of people! wth is that?!

• Jan 24 2011

Hey Molly! I know, it’s total nonsense, and I wish it were a joke, but I’m afraid he’s just going to say WTH to the court, take the punches, all in the name of justice for his client. It could be that he wants to set up a mistrial, or perhaps he thinks he’s doing what’s best for Casey Anthony. Either way, it’s totally unethical, to say the least. I can’t wait to see the fallout from this! Oh, boy!

8. Jan 24 2011

Andrea, thanks for letting me link to your post. I am very serious that Baez may be doing all he can so Casey can get a retrial/mistrial for ineffective counsel. Who knows, this may all be prearranged with the promise it will pay big dividends in the end. Baez’ performance these past couple of months have been anything but good lawyering. He played a cat and mouse game with Ashton and disregarded the court order to pass over the expert witnesses info. He ended up getting a sanction, yet today he passes all that discovery over to Burdick with little explanation. Nothing would surprise me about this case which has turned into a three-ring circus.

• Jan 24 2011

You absolutely have a point, there, my friend. Or, I was also thinking that maybe he’s just doing it because he thinks it’s only fair to Casey – to give her a fighting chance. Who knows what kind of logic is going on there. Or, like you say, there may be a plan way under the table for him to profit somehow….. Maybe in order for him to cash in there has to be either a not guilty or a mistrial?
      Heck, maybe he has plans to get out of the law – that would be good news as he’s not really made of the stuff that good lawyers are made of, chiefly, a respect for the law!!!LOL!

9. Mike
    Jan 25 2011

I think Baez is looking at what he is facing with a prolonged trial. He will not have any money coming in to his coffers for his time spent everyday in court. He may try to object to everything and if he loses the objection then he files for more investigative hours to at least recoup some money. OTOH, he may be looking to get a mistrial so that he can end his torture over no money coming in to his office. He probably has a few other tricks up his sleazy sleeve. As we all know the love of $ is the root of all evil and this Baez is one evil person.

• Jan 25 2011

Hi Mike! Yeap, I agree with you because the alternative is that Baez is so wet behind the ears to not know what’s going on, or he’s too dumb to know what’s going on – I don’t think either is completely true. And, you may be correct that he’s playing games because of lack of cash flow…. It’s really a travesty either way we look at it….

10. nan11
    Jan 25 2011

Hi Andrea: I ponder on whether Mr. Baez is trying to build a reputation for himself as an attorney who is willing to defend the “undefendable”?

I hear this kind of reputation can attract a certain kind of clientele that is very lucrative. It has just reached a point where nothing else seems to make sense.

Great post, BTW. Your blog is always a pleasure to read.

• Jan 25 2011

Well Hi Nan! Thank you for stopping by. And, you’re right, nothing is making sense … But, if that’s the case, then this whole charade is about Baez, not about defending Casey…. I do think that could be what he’s trying to do, ultimately, is build his practice, but on the other hand, I almost think that by the time this is all over, he may not have a practice to go to! It’s really unbelievable – it’s hard to really know what to think, other than the fact that he is doing absolutely nothing for Casey Anthony.

11. newsjunkie
    Jan 25 2011

Just checking to see if I can post here in the future, nice site! 🙂

• Jan 25 2011

Hi newsjunkie, and welcome! Of course you can post here! Next time you do, your comments will not go into moderation. See you soon!

12. jon
    Jan 25 2011

HI Andrea: I don’t know if you were watching or not, but last night on HLN, Vinny Politan began a count down for the 15 weeks until the trial. I think it’s going to be a regular recap from the beginning of this whole case. Last night covered Casey on the 911 call; cold, disconnected, unconcerned, talking about how her nanny took her. Also, showed teh Fusion photographs while she was looking for Caylee. It was strange that they didn’t include Cindy on the call, but that may be coming tonight. If it continues, I think this might be a good way for people who weren’t in on this from the beginning to get a good history and time line for it all.

• Jan 25 2011

Hey Jon, thanks a bunch – I had no idea about that! And you’re right, it will be an excellent primer to the case! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

13. Lona1
    Jan 25 2011

It’s plain and simple. Baez needs a good kick to the lower part of his body.

14. katydid
    Jan 25 2011

What else can he do? His clent has already told the world that the Nanny took her and her parents are all over the news stating they are still looking for the Nanny and live Caylee. Sad real sad. It makes you wonder if they even have anything.

• Jan 25 2011

Hey Katydid… I know, it does make you wonder if they have anything at all to argue… And, the fact that Cindy is saying now that Caylee is still alive only means that poor delusional woman is certifiable.

Oh, and now Dr. Lee has dropped out…. and Baez is asking for more time…. Things are just going south for the Defense really fast…….

• jon
      Jan 26 2011

Yeah, I love the way Cindy says Caylee is still alive, but has her ashes at home. ALso, doesn’t she wear a bracelet with a locket that has some of the ashes in it? (thought I heard that somewhere in this mess.) Personally I think old Cindy is buildling up to an insanity plea if she’s charged with obstruction or whatever after Casey is up the river and making hot and heavy with Big Bertha after her shift in the license plate plant!

15. Lona1
    Jan 25 2011

I think there are 103 or so days left until the trial. The following is what will happen to Baez. Why? He is on a roll (sliding on s.) and cannot control himself. He thinks he is doing great with all the nonsense he thinks of:

Contempt Of Court – Civil Or Criminal
    A judge who feels someone is improperly challenging or ignoring the court’s authority has the power to declare the defiant person (called the contemnor) in contempt of court. There are two types of contempt, criminal and civil. Criminal contempt occurs when the contemnor actually interferes with the ability of the court to function properly – for example, by yelling at the judge. This is also called direct contempt because it occurs directly in front of the judge. A criminal contemnor may be fined, jailed or both as punishment for his act.

• Jan 25 2011

Hey Lona… Thanks so much for that definition of Contempt. It’s true, if Baez keeps up the way he’s going, a stint in the Orlando Jail is the next thing on his agenda……..

16. Jan 25 2011

BOZO THWE CLOWN IS GOING TO GET IN TROUBLE AND THIS CASE WILL NOT GO FORWARD IN MAY MAYBE IN A YEAR OR TWO.PEOPLE LIKE BOZO SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO EVEN GET TO THE BAR AS LAWYER LET ALONE ANYTHING ELSE BECAUSE HE DOES NOT KNOW ZIP ZERO.GO AWAY ALREADY BOZO YOU ARE HOLDING UP A TRIAL THAT CANT TAKE PLACE WITH YOU.DONT YOU GET IT YET?WHATS THE OTHER CLOWN NEXT TO YOU DOING?L QUESS HE THINKS YOU ARE DOING GREAT WHY SHOULD HE INTERFERE WHAT AN IDIOT.CHENNY YOU MUST BE VERY TIRED GO HOME AND JUST RETIRE ALTOGTHER.FOLKS DONT THINK THIS TRIAL WILL TAKE PLACE IN MAY OF THIS YEAR BECAUSE IT WONT.

17. Jan 25 2011

from WESH:

The new motion said that that Dr. Henry Lee will not be called as a defense witness at Anthony’s murder trial, which is scheduled to begin in May.

Lee, a world-renowned forensics expert, found 17 hairs in the trunk of Anthony’s car and turned them over to investigators. It was later discovered that none of the hairs tested positive for decomposition.

“Lee’s report has become moot,” the defense said.

• Jan 25 2011

Kim!! Thank you for posting this…. I am just amazed at this…. have to think this one over – it’s really quite surprising… heck, what happened to the crate of oranges? What about those 17 hairs he found in the car? I tell ya what, there’s never a dull moment!