January 25, 2011

Lee out, Excuses in

A new motion filed today by Jose Baez tells us the crate of oranges that Dr. Henry Lee was going to be paid for his work, is now orange juice.  And speaking of OJ, with all these big names exiting stage left, the so called Defense Dream Team is now just that, a dream.

Baez, in the motion, characterizes Lee’s expert report as “moot.”   Moot!

And then, we learn that Baez is asking the court to allow him more time to submit some of the expert witness reports!

The very same reports that he was just sanctioned over!  (This motion will go over about as well as the motion to vacate the sanction.)

Judge Perry is not likely to be pleased with this request.  Why?  Because in true Baez fashion, he’s asking for another license to fish.  Baez is asking the Judge to speculate on why 45 more days are needed.  For instance, he writes:

The Defense would like to have the opportunity to meet with experts Reichs and Rodriquez prior to them rendering their opinions as they may have additional opinions after review of the additional material.

Huh? They “may” have “additional opinions” after review of “additional material.”   Baez has not provided the initial opinions, why should the Judge allow for vague additional opinions?

Judge Belvin Perry was not born yesterday, he will recognize this as just another fishing expedition.  Plus, there are no FACTS in that statement (or anywhere in the motion) as to why 45 more days are needed.  Oh, actually, that’s not quite true. The facts are that the Defense experts’ travel schedules have not allowed them to complete their reports.  Too busy.  The court may be too busy to hear from these witnesses.

Also, in the motion Baez writes about a mysterious “unique opportunity” in the future:

The Defense will have a unique opportunity in the very near future and is requesting an additional 45 days to comply with those two witnesses and a reasonable amount of time for Doctors Logan and Spitz.

What is this mystery?  Murder, She Wrote?

I am not a lawyer; I have never written a motion, but I do possess enough common sense to know that one cannot expect a Judge to grant a request that is an “opportunity” with out a definition or purpose.

On to Dr. Lee.

Dr. Lee’s report, says the Defense, has become “moot.”  The choice of the word “moot” is an interesting one.  Moot is often used to describe something that is no longer of value, applicable or significant.   Dr. Lee, it was reported, found 17 hairs in the trunk of Casey’s car versus the three or so found by the Orlando CSI.  The hairs apparently showed no sign of decomposition.

Wouldn’t that bode well for the Defense?  So…. why moot?  I won’t begin to speculate why.  Regardless, this about-face concerning Dr. Lee is ponderous since, early on in the case, Dr. Lee was coming in on a white horse to save the day.

It remains to be seen if Dr. Lee bailed, or if he’s suddenly allergic to oranges.

Dr. Michael Freeman is no longer an expert witness.  The motion states, “Dr. Michael Freemen has been withdrawn from the defense witness list.  This statement is worded so the reader will think the defense removed him.  But, chances are Dr. Michael Freeman withdrew himself from the case.

What is also interesting is Baez’s claim to have already supplied to the State the reports of: Dr. Jan Bock, Dr. Kenneth Furton, Richard Eiklenboom, Dr. Timothy Huntington, and Dr. Scott Fairgrieve, as the court requested.  ASA Linda Drane Burdick did not include these reports on her list submitted yesterday to the court.  Perhaps he submitted the reports today?  Maybe Baez, after seeing ASA Burdick’s motion listing the mind numbing non-evidence list she published yesterday, he rushed to submit the material today?

Maybe he was diligent and met the deadlines that the court laid down?

Pass me some OJ, please.

Here’s the link to today’s Defense motion for more time.

1. Venice
    Jan 25 2011

Thank God Judge Ito does not preside in Orlando, FL.
    He’s our gem here in L.A.

• Jan 25 2011

Oh yeah, Venice. I think the whole debacle around that case was made worse by Ito’s lack of control of the proceedings. Such a good point!

2. Sherry
    Jan 25 2011

From an article at the Hinky Meter:

CSI Bloise must have thought that Lee’s inspection of the bag fell a bit short of thorough, because in his report he stated that he went back to inspect the bag further, and found an additional 13 hairs not seen by Dr. Lee. Of course, all 17 hairs (the one found by Dr. Lee and the 16 found by CSI Bloise with 3 assists from Lee) were sent to the FBI, and none were found to have death banding. We don’t know whose heads they belonged to, but given the bag came from an apartment with college students it could have been any number of people.

~~~

Call me anal but I get so peeved when people attribute the 17 hairs to Dr. Lee’s findings! That is what Baez said happened when questioning Blaise about it but its not true.

Interesting that Baez would use the word moot, which, when pertaining to legalese means of no legal significance! Okay, imo, he didn’t want the oranges and was quite offended at Mason making that suggestion to Judge Strickland.

The article above, written in December of 2010, and Webslueths were both speculating that Dr. Lee would be off of the defense team.

• Jan 25 2011

Sherry, Thank you so much for that information! That was an excellent read, and sure opened my eyes to what Dr. Lee did not do! I guess I drank the Baez OJ with a twist, too because I was under the impression that Dr. Lee waltzed into town, found the 17 hairs, and taught the OCSO a thing or two, when in fact, it’s essentially the other way around! And it wasn’t even in the trunk, it was the garbage bag from Tony’s apartment! Wow!

And now that you mention it, I do remember the hub-bub about Dr. Lee not being used by the Defense in trial.

Very grateful to you for passing along this information! Thank you again, dear friend! I can always count on you!

• Sherry
        Jan 25 2011

Oh, stop! You’re making me blush! 😆

Anyways, the ONE hair that Lee found turned out to be moot~heehee!

3. Sherry
    Jan 25 2011

Oh, and its not a wonder to me that the defense team is losing its prominent, famous, members. It’s just a wonder to me how Baez managed to get them in the first place! 😯

• Sherry
      Jan 25 2011

Whaaat??? The Word Press emoticons are out of order again? Harumph!

• Jan 26 2011

LOL! Sherry, I’ll have to see if I can fix that!

• Sherry
        Jan 26 2011

Thank ye kindly, dearheart!

• Jan 26 2011

Sherry, I figured out how to make the emoticons come back to life! 😛 🙂

• Sherry
        Jan 26 2011

:mrgreen:

• weezie10
      Jan 27 2011

Hey Sherry; Where did you import those emoticons from? I like them, they express a lot. lol. So Lee is out? When did that happen and why? Is this too many questions? I guess so, sorry.

• Sherry
        Jan 27 2011

Hi, Weezie! Here is the info for the smileys:

Just scroll down a bit and you will see a chart showing how to make them.

Baez said that Lee’s expert opinion is moot, of no value to his defense so he is out. This is what was released recently. Never too many questions, friend1 Hope you are feeling top notch now~ 😛

• weezie10
        Jan 27 2011

Sherry; Thanks for the above. It all sounds like greek to me. I think I’ll just look at yours for now. Now I understand. The can’t afford Lee, nor has he got the smoking gun that he thought he had. Lee would be better off on the Prosecution list. However, this isn’t the piece that will give the jury an ah ha moment. It will be all the pieces fitting together, to become a finished jigsaw puzzle ready to glue and mount. lol…. I just hope the jury doesn’t become bored with all the technical data that will come to bear. Can you imagine the testimony on the green garbage bags alone? That will probably take two days. I have watched enough trials on t.v. to be reminded of the boring parts. I know it’s all relevant, but ho hum, yawn. What we need here is the Lawyer with the Cowboy hat… What’s his name? Never been a guy quite like him, except Johnny C. That’s the only hope that Casey could have. A new Lawyer, one with pazazz.

4. jon
    Jan 26 2011

I’m sure Dr. Lee could provide nothing substantial in this case, so Baez doesn’t want him any longer. Additional time? I doubt it. The closer this all gets to the trial date the more Baez and Co are going to be scrambling the same way people did to get into the last lifeboats on the Titanic!
    Also, I tuned into Prime News late last night and didn’t see a Casey segment. Maybe they’re going to do it once a week up until the trial and not every day.

• weezie10
      Jan 27 2011

Prime News? Which show is that on and what time? Is it HLN?

5. jon
    Jan 26 2011

Also , I wonder whether Dr. Lee’s ethics came in to play and he bowed out of this voluntarily knowing he couldn’t possibly look good on the “dream” team. He’s always been pretty savvy about his reputation so I think this is worth considering.

• Jan 26 2011

Hey Jon, I tuned in Nancy Grace late last night, too, but she had her same ole show. I bet you’re right, that she’s going to do special segments. We’ll have to get the scoop! I would like to see those shows.

On another note, I bet you’re right about the ethics thing. Since he was only getting paid oranges, perhaps he decided he might as well be ethical this time. (I lost all respect for him in the OJ case.)

But, you’re right, he is well respected, and this case would only cast a shadow on his celebrity status.

• jon
        Jan 27 2011

It’s not Nancy Grace, but Vinnie Politan on “Prime News” who precedes NG by two hours. I think it’s going to be a weekly thing, maybe each Monday. I checked the website but nothing was shown about it so I’ll be tuning in on Monday and will post something if it happens.
        I think Lee (Henry, not Anthony) was their last chance to lend credibility to the defense. I know it would never happen because I suppose the State has to use its own experts, but wouldn’t it be something if the prosecution decided to call in Dr. Henry Lee now as one of their own experts?

• Jan 28 2011

oh it would be poetic justice for the State to call Dr. Lee! That would be pretty funny – of course it will never happen, but it sure would be interesting!

Keep us posted on the HLN show… 🙂

6. Jan 26 2011

hello to all of you,bozo is playing games now.first he has all the high powered lawyers on his team then we find out he is full of crap.now we know why these so called doctors have fled away from there defense team.woder why?bozo is not doing the job that he has too so everyone has seen that he just wanted to lie about the whole case get money and then take off wellbomshell bozo irt all back fired right????????????????????????what a low life you are just get yourself off the case you are making yourself look like the real clown from the circus.how dare you play with the tax payers dollars???????????????????????????????????where the hell did you come from anyway???????????????????????????????l hope jac sues you in the end.you dont even know how to talk let alone submit motions that you dont know anything about.look what bozo did to lyons linda kenny baden macalouso and lenommon all these lawyers and nothing to show because he wanted to have eveyone lie for bozo on the case and him take the money.why cant the court pay the people that are doing the work?can someone help me on this one l just dont understand what this shit head is doing anymore.later people.

• Jan 26 2011

Hi Annie,
      Well, the problem here is due to the fact that Casey Anthony picked Baez, and the court cannot do a single thing about her choice of a lawyer. The only thing that can happen, is the judge can sanction him (make him put his money out there versus his excuses). Plus, I don’t think Baez has an option of stepping down from the case at this point. Casey could even fire him, but he’d have to stay while another attorney comes in, probably a public defender.

It is pretty sad that he literally has someone’s life in his hands, and he doesn’t “act” like he doesn’t fully appreciate the stakes of life or death….If he is talking to Casey about her getting out of jail in this lifetime, especially with him steering the bus, it is tragic.

7. weezie10
    Jan 26 2011

Yes, we can all see that according to his requests. If I am a betting woman I think there is something cooking on the back burner. Baez does know the law, but he is stalling. Why? Exactly, there is somethng they are holding back on, and that could be the CASE of shock. Who would put themselves out like he does to look shameful, ignorant, childish, dumb and ignorant? I am hoping that he atleast shows himself to be worthy of defending Casey. I want a level playing field and (I’m not giving up on that now. The press are cruel and inacurrate. Do you always believe Enquirer, The Globe, NewsWeek? Let the courts show us and let the JUDGE make those decisions about Baez and his truthfullness or worthiness to be a Lawyer for Casey. Because in the end, it will come to that on APPEAL. Did she have proper council? Don’t you have enough confidence in the JUDGE now? PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>> let the courts make their determination and then let’s debate the issue.

8. cali patti
    Jan 28 2011

I remember way back when Lee was visiting Casey in jail he questioned her how she found Baez and was hinting at Casey hiring a different atty. Caseys family had wanted her to have a different atty from the start.

• Jan 28 2011

Oh yeah, Cali patti… I remember that, too. They were all so against Jose in the beginning. Now, however, if you read Cindy’s letters in today’s discovery release, you will see that Cindy is falling all over Baez like he’s the second coming! It’s tragic that they are so ignorant about what’s really going on….

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )