January 31, 2011

big trouble for baez?

Nancy Grace would be bellowing: BOMBSHELL about the interview between Brad Conway and the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. Why?  There are serious implications against Mr. Jose Baez.

The scenario, or situation that I am about to discuss, goes back to Laura Buchanan and her propensity for making up grand stories that might just help the Defense team a whole lot. It also involves Mortimer Smith, Andrea Lyon’s private investigator, and his propensity to elaborate without basis of fact.

As you know, there is a separate case being pursued against Laura Buchanan.  In the process of pursuing her case, issues have come to light that do not shed a good light on Jose Baez.

The cast of characters in this story are: Jose Baez, Mortimer Smith, Laura Buchanan, Mark NeJame, Brad Conway, Joe Jordan, OCSO, and indirectly, George and Cindy Anthony.

Narrative – breaking it down

Laura Buchanan, to insert herself into the case, allegedly alters a Texas EquuSearch (TES) search document that she, being a team leader, would have used during the search for Caylee Anthony.  Laura Buchanan searched the Suburban Drive area on or around September 1st.  She also had searched the Blanchard Park vicinity, and was in possession of the field reports that document the search.  These documents are the property of TES and were to be turned in at the end of the search to a TES staff member in a debriefing session.  Why did Laura have a TES search document?  Apparently Laura missed a debriefing session with TES at the end of her search and kept one of the field documents.

You may recall when Todd Maculuso stood (2009) in open court and professed that they have evidence that Caylee’s body was not in the vicinity of where it was ultimately found?  Furthermore, they were asserting that the body HAD to have been put there  AFTER Casey was imprisoned, and the defense is able to prove the area was dry, because TES searchers, namely Joe Jordon, searched that very spot and found nothing.

That was a huge thing for the defense, and would be significant exculpatory evidence that would benefit Casey Anthony.  You may remember there was a lot of hubbub in the media about this new claim.

In February of 2010, Jose Baez began asking Brad Conway to contact Laura Buchanan for him.  Baez made it known that she would support what Joe Jordan claimed – that she searched that very vicinity and there was no Caylee.

Brad felt it was not his job and he did not do it – he didn’t understand why Baez would make that request of him, especially since the evidence is critical and exculpatory.  Besides which, Brad was furious at Baez for going behind his back to work with his clients,  the Anthony’s, on a request to reverse the previous waiver of conflict that had allowed Mark NeJame to represent Texas EquuSearch founder Tim Miller Anthony’s.  In other words, Baez wanted Mark NeJame out of the picture totally and he did it behind Brad Conway’s back.

Baez also asked Brad to look in the TES records, stored in NeJames office, and look for the name Laura Buchanan on any of the documents from TES.  Brad did this for Baez and found no documents with Buchanan’s name. Which leads one to conclude that these documents were in the hands of Laura Buchanan.

Then twice in April of 2010, Baez again asks Conway if he ever got in touch with Laura. Brad said he did not.

Brad states:

It was odd to me that he was asking me this in.. in 2010 because in 2009 we’d gone through Joe Jordan and.. and other individuals that had supposedly exculpatory information and then it didn’t pan out. So, now you know we’re into February 2010, and now where Buchanan is coming up again. Ah, we’re.. you know ah, ten months, nine, ten months after he first started asking me aboutLaura Buchanan and these documents that would help his client out. And he’s still asking me if… if “I” ever got a hold of her? If “I” ever got these documents? And again that strikes me as extremely bizarre that documents that would be that important if they existed, wouldn’t be in his hands by now.

Bottom line to this scenario, Brad came to the conclusion the Baez was “testing” him to see if he knew anything about the purported exculpatory documents.  Why?  Because they had been altered and Laura was soon to be the next star witness for the Defense.  Laura was also asserting the Joe Jordon searched with her, which is not true.

In addition, Baez, in open court, and with Brad Conway right there in the courtroom, makes statements that are untrue with regards to Brad.  The dialogue that follows is from an October 3, 2010 interview with OCSO,  SA is Sergeant John Allen.  BC is Brad Conway.

BC: Ah, where the defense made representation that I was aware that there was information in the EquuSearch records that were essentially exculpatory or in other words, they said that the body was.. wasn’t there um, while.. the body was not there during the period of time when Caylee.. Casey Anthony was in jail.

SA:  But the defense being, the defense being whom made this representations to the judge?

BC: Mr. Baez.

SA: Mr. Baez made these representations to the court. Um, and at which time you thought what?

BC:  Bullshit. I.. bullshit it didn’t happen.

SA: Okay, and you never, you never told Mr. Baez it happened?

BC: No.

SA: So, you have no idea why he would represented that to the court?

BC:  Absolutely not especially with me sitting right there in the courtroom.

SA:  Okay. Um, once again we’re not lawyers I mean is it, is that normal for one lawyer to make representation to the judge in open court ah, when it’s not A, it’s not true and B, it’s not true with the other attorney that he’s making representations about be sitting right there in the courtroom?

BC:  No it’s not normal, it’s not typical because when you’re making a representation to a judge sometimes you’re wrong. But you don’t want to be wrong so you go out of your way to make sure that what you’re telling a judge is true and correct. Especially when the lawyer you’re talking about is sitting right in that courtroom.

SA:  Forgive, forgive my ignorance ‘cause (Inaudible)… we have to testify on the stand under oath. Is it, us there.. is there any problem with a lawyer knowingly representing something to the judge that’s not true?

BC:  Absolutely there is ah, it’s against the rules of professional conduct and although you’re not swearing under oath as a lawyer. You are an officer of court.. of the court and so you’re held to that standard of telling the truth as best you know. If you happen to mistaken that’s one thing. But if you’re intentionally misrepresenting facts to a judge.  Ah, you’re putting your bar license on.. on the line.

SA:  And he made these representations to the court with you in the courtroom?

BC:  Yes sir.

SA: And you have no idea where he would’ve gotten it from?

BC: I have no idea where he would’ve gotten it from because I know I didn’t tell him that.

SA: But the representation was that, was that he got this or that you had seen these in.. in the EquuSearch records correct?

BC:  That’s correct.

SA:  Okay.

This interview with Brad Conway was released in the recent discovery release.  Therefore, Jose Baez is aware that the OSCO, and most likely the State Attorney’s Office, are looking at him.

There is a lot of gray area as to what role that Mortimer Smith played with the doctored document – whether he took if from Laura Buchanan, or she kept it, is unclear.  No one seems to know where that original doctored document is. What does seem to be clear is the document was altered by Laura herself.

To be clear, I am in no position to come to any conclusions with regards to this story because there are always more than one side to every story.  With that said, however, there’s definitely more to this story – this appears to be an open and very active investigation, and one that, I assume, will continue to unfold.

However, we know how this story ends, in the short term, as it relates to exculpatory evidence for Casey Anthony… There is none.  In fact, there is more than sufficient proof that the area was under at least 2 feet of water, possibly more, making it impossible to search the area where Caylee was eventually found on December 11, 2008.

More on this topic soon…..

Here is a copy of Brad Conway’s interview with OCSO.

PS. I have a whole new kind of respect for Brad Conway!

1. Sherry
    Jan 31 2011

Baez wanted NeJame out of the picture entirely because he couldn’t play him like he could Conway, so he thought. Conway was no dummy in this. He knew something wasn’t right with Baez asking him to do his legwork for him.

Laura Buchanan is a beaut! She lied to the SA in her deposition, I’ll betcha! Stepping on an alligator’s tail, my patooty! 😡

• Feb 1 2011

LOL, Sherry! I know…when I read that about her stepping on an alligator tail, I knew it just didn’t seem plausible. They are not to be messed with and they hiss and you can hear them in the brush or the weeds before you come across them, generally speaking. I have seen my share of them, living in Florida, and they are too creepy for words. Plus, they DO bite people, and they do worse things… too sad to discuss… eek. I am soooooo afraid of them. I am a little bit more afraid of roaches, though. 🙂

2. offthecuff
    Feb 1 2011

If this has occured, why has Baez not gotten into trouble already for this?

• Feb 1 2011

Hi offfhecuff

That’s a good question. Who knows how this will play out. I would think an investigation would occur but I haven’t read anything suggesting that. It will surely be worth watching.

There’s a report out today on WESH that has info about Laura coming clean about tampering with the TES document. It seems that she floated her story to Mortimer Smith and the defense was anxious to use it but never did due diligence and investigate the claims fully. IMO

Sent from my iPhone

3. Linda
    Feb 1 2011

Wow! Excellent read, thankyou.

I have to agree with your very last sentence, I too, am looking at Brad Conway in a whole new light. Isn’t it ironic how all these people involved in this case actually become victims because of Casey and the rest of the Anthony clan (Baez included). These are just horrible, horrible human beings.
    I just can’t wait until the prosecution is done with the whole lot of them. Throw them all in jail because that is certainly where they belong.
    That poor little innocent child that had to be born to such a family, then paid the ultimate price. Just simply heart wrenching.
    Justice is finally right around the corner for little Caylee and it certainly can’t happen soon enough. Thank God she has such a strong voice through the prosecution. They will see this through until the bitter end-when Casey is convicted, may she rot in hell along with her attorney’s and the rest of her family. We all, at one day, have to answer to a much higher power. I truly wouldn’t want to be any one of them………………….

• Feb 1 2011

Hi Linda, Thank you for your kind comment. I feel the same way as you, this travesty will be coming to an end, with any luck, very soon. I think the State lawyers are completely focused on telling a story that does justice to Caylee, I really believe that.
      Yes, we do have to answer to a higher power…and they will have some explaining to do… The best thing to do, though, is to make amends and tell the truth now before you have to face the ultimate truth… (I wouldn’t want to trade places with anyone of them.)

4. Feb 1 2011
  5. Hilde
    Feb 1 2011

Andrea, great Post!
    There was never any Doubt in my Mind that Caylee’s Body was discarded at that Spot where her Remains were eventually found on Dec. 11 2008. Her Body was there from the Beginning and has never been moved.
    As much as the Defense would like to make every one believe that the Body had to be put there while Casey was already behind Bars and therefore Casey couldn’t have done it and someone else put Caylee there.
    Well that is just plain Hog Wash!
    The Prosecution will be able to show no one else but Casey herself put her Daughter in that particular Spot!
    It was laughable when I first heard what the Defense was trying to do to establish reasonable Doubt. I understand the Defense has a Job to do but
    how Baez and his Clan went about it using Laura Buchanan and Joe Jordon to back up this false Claim was unprofessional and unethical say the least and had nothing to do with Justice for the innocent Victim Caylee Marie.
    Brad Conway did the right thing by distancing himself from all this Mess!
    That in my Mind shows his Character and I respect him for that. He didn’t want to have anything to do with the Direction Baez was taking this Case, he knew it was wrong.
    It looks like every underhanded Thing Baez was and is trying to do in this Case is about to blow up in his Face and rightfully so.
    I can’t wait for the Trial to start. Justice for Caylee is coming soon with the Help of the Prosecution which never gave up on Caylee and is determined to show what really happened that fateful Day Caylee’s Life was taken from her. JMO

6. Annie
    Feb 1 2011

I just have to say, I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!. I have been a big lurker never posted here before. Found you because of Dave. I love the way you see things. Keep up the great work. Get some rest, I think were at like 96 days to trial.

• Feb 1 2011

BOZO IS IN TROUBLE CANT WAIT TILL WE SEE WHAT ELSE HAPPENS WITH THAT JERK.MR.SMITH YOU TOO YOU AS PRETENDING TO TRY AND PAY SOMEONE SO THAT THEY CAN SAY DIFFERANT FROM WHAT THE STATE SAYS SHAME ON YOU.

• Feb 1 2011

Oh, Annie, that’s so nice of you to say! I am a big fan of Dave’s and I’ll thank him for sending you here! I hope you’ll visit often…. 🙂

7. jon
    Feb 1 2011

I know this has nothing to do with the case, but do you suppose NG goes into the twins’ room and screams “BOMBSHELL:” it’s time for dinner!

• Feb 1 2011

LOL!!! Good one, Jon! Probably in her daily life everything is one big bombshell after another and another and….

Sent from my iPhone

8. Diana
    Feb 1 2011

Looks like Baez could screw up a one car funeral procession!

He was looking for a patsy in Conway, but once again……it backfired on him. He needs to just throw Casey on the mercy of the court and walk away. It is just ridiculous to try and blame anyone else besides his lying client. and just how stupid does he think the jurors will be?

• Feb 1 2011

Hi Diana! OMG, that’s funny! I tend to think that’s what he was doing, too because it’s just too sneaky and odd, too. I mean, if there’s BIG evidence like that, wouldn’t you think you’d jump on it immediately? I hate to say this, but it does seem like he (Baez) knew Laura’s claim was bogus (maybe he believed Joe Jordan, I’m not clear about that). The horrible part of it, though, is that it really looks like he may have deliberately attempted to cheat the system. If it is true, shame on him.
      It’s so nice to see you, Diana!

9. Hilde
    Feb 1 2011

Off Topic~~ I hope every one here is ok as far as the Weather.
    Here in Indiana we have arctic Temperatures and are under Winter Storm Warning for tonight and tomorrow, already had lots of Ice last night and more coming this afternoon 🙂
    Every one effected by these storms, stay warm and save!

• Feb 1 2011

Hilde it’s so good of you to stop by! I have missed you!

I sure remember those indiana snowstorms! They can be hazardous unless you have a good book and hot chocolate!

Do stay safe and warm everyone! Brrrrr I am cold just thinking about all that snow…

Sent from my iPhone

10. Molly
    Feb 1 2011

I think baez was going to use brad as the patsy too trying to blame him for bringing that info to him. deflecting it off of him. that one backfired.
    i also think brad was really mad about him going behind his back with the anthony’s & then making that announcement in court about knowing about LB. brad has in the past supported the anthony “lets throw some doubt out there”. remember the larry king show where he said there is no duct tape! they already had the discovery about the duct tape, so . . . . . .

• Feb 1 2011

You know, I’d forgotten that, Molly! That did make me mad, too. Maybe he didn’t know that? Or, maybe he didn’t want the Anthony’s to know that yet? I’m pulling at straws on this one. He has redeemed himself in my estimation, but, darn, I forgot about that LK show…

11. Molly
    Feb 1 2011

Hi Hilde! I’m looking out my window now at the ice balls falling on top of the snow we had last night here in CT. I’m also looking at a mountain (yes its a mountain) of snow in the field that has been moved from the streets because there’s no room to put it anymore. 4 weeks now a major storm every week! agh! yes,everyone be safe & warm!

12. Hilde
    Feb 1 2011

I can’t believe I put a smiley face on my comment about more ice coming this afternoon, that should have been 😦
    Andrea, by the way it is always nice to come here and comment. I like the Atmosphere on Your Blog!

13. cali patti
    Feb 1 2011

When hearing “bombshell” I run for the remote to change the channel.
    Andrea, nice information.
    Just a guess the state will wait until after Caseys trial to bring charges against Baez. I doubt there is anyone who would want to begin this Casey trail mess all over again.

• Feb 1 2011

Hey there Cali Patti… I’m not a fan of Nancy Grace either, though I do watch her program if she’s talking about the Anthony case. And, I do like how she focuses on missing children, but she’s toooooo rude for me and I can’t stand her yelling!

Regarding charges against Baez – if they (or some other authority) looks into this and finds that what he is alleged to have done is egregious, I wonder if they would wait? I wish I knew. I am really anxious to know how this all unfolds….

I wonder if he has an explanation for all this…hmmmmm.

14. Feb 1 2011

It seems the defense wanted to check the TES documents to make sure that Laura Buchanan’s name was not on any pert to Sept 03, 08 showing that she searched at Jay Blanchard that day. In this way, they could sneak the falsified TES into play and try to clear their client of putting the remains out in the woods. At this same time, Todd Macaluso was trying to implicate Roy Kronk and the TES doc showing Laura and her bogus team searched and there were no remains, would help verify what Todd was trying to prove.
    Macaluso was out to prove that Kronk murdered Caylee and the doc would back up his claim. We must keep in mind that Todd was abusing alcohol around this same time and not thinking clearly. Maybe Baez was not aware of Todd’s addiction and just thought he was a big shot attorney from CA who came to Orlando to prove Casey was not guilty of the crime. Alcoholics can be very persuasive.

• Feb 1 2011

Wow…. I didn’t know all this…didn’t realize that Todd had a problem with alcohol – well, he sure had a lot of problems, legally… no wonder he wanted to drink!

One thing I learned in my reading on this issue, is that Baez asked Conway to also check the TES records to see if Kronk had helped in the search… That would have been icing on their fantasy cake.

I wonder if Baez will be able to explain this away? God forbid this gets so serious that he gets pulled from the case during the trial. You’d think there would have to be either a mistrial or a delay…That would be awful….
      Maybe there would just be a warning… I wish I knew – yet another topic to research!

15. Feb 1 2011

Andrea, I thought the Seagull was logged in when I made that comment. I was on the phone while typing so excuse all typos.

16. Feb 1 2011

Andrea, Judge Perry is not going to let anything delay the trial. I have a feeling there will be charges laid by LE or informations sent to the Bar Assoc to reinvestigate Baez. I expect all this to happen after the trial is over.

17. Feb 2 2011

THERE IS A BIG CHANCE THAT THE TRIAL WONT HAPPEN ON BOZO TERM WHY SHOULD IT? LLOK WHAT HE HAS DONE!HOW CAN ANYONE MAKE HIM CONTINUE THIS TRIAL WHEN HE HAS BEEN STEALING MONEY PLUS ASSERTING OTHER LAWYERS IN AN OPEN COURTROOM ABOUT WHATEVER ON THIS CASE AND THEN THEY SHOULD WAIT UNTIL AFTER TRIAL DONT MAKE SENSE AT ALL.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Did JOSE BAEZ lie to the court about Brad Conway and LAURA BUCHANAN? « News « The Culling is here
  2. Did JOSE BAEZ lie to the court about Brad Conway and LAURA BUCHANAN? by Linda Paris « News « The Culling is here