February 2, 2011

oh yes, BOMBSHELL for Baez!

I literally gasped when I saw the WESH headline that Baez was under investigation by the Florida Bar.

I wasn’t surprised, I had just not expected it since none of the media outlets were covering what I thought was a huge, bombshell of a story!

With last Friday’s document release of discovery, there was a great deal of material about the Laura Buchanan issue in which Jose Baez, desperate for some exculpatory evidence to create doubt for Casey, allegedly (according to Brad Conway), lied in open court to Judge Perry.  (The information is in a transcript of an interview with Brad Conway and the Orange County Sherriff’s Office (OCSO), and it is shocking.)

Two days ago, I published a story about this very issue. Read: Big trouble for Baez?

According to WESH, Karen Kirksey, a Florida Bar spokesperson, confirmed there is an open file on Baez, but it is confidential until such time as probable cause has been found.

Veteran trial attorney, Bill Sheaffer, legal guru for WFTV, in an interview with Kathi Bellich, says there is no more serious charge that a lawyer can face.  If it is indeed true, and if Brad Conway is to be believed, this is reprehensible. Sheaffer said this is a very serious allegation – just as serious as a lawyer stealing from a client.

Sheaffer does say that this will NOT impact the trial, BUT it will seriously impact Baez’s credibility with Judge Perry.

Let’s recap what happened:

It began when Todd Macaloso stood in open court and said that Casey Anthony was innocent, and they can prove it.  Macaloso was referring to the alleged statements of Joe Jordan (who later realized he was wrong and had not searched where Caylee’s body was found, he was a about 30 feet off).

The defense was aware of Joe Jordan and his initial claims and they jumped all over it.  Then, not too long after Joe Jordan, along came Laura Buchanan who claims she searched where Casey’s body was later found, but said the area was DRY and Caylee was not there. (She later recanted and now admits to falsifying the TES document.)

While Laura was a legitimate TES searcher, her actions were wholly illegitimate.  She is now being investigated by the OCSO for tampering with evidence.

Before all this was known about Buchanan, however, she simply wanted to insert herself in the case.  She falsified a TES search document saying that she’d been in the location where the body was found. In addition, she falsified Joe Jordan’s name on her bogus TES form, then attempted to coax him into calling Baez.  Joe Jordan never did.

Then, in August 2010, Baez wrote a motion in which he claimed that both Laura Buchanan and Joe Jordan will come into court and say, effectively, that Casey could not have put Caylee’s body where it was found, because there is proof Caylee was not there in September of 2008.  Casey could not have put Caylee there, claimed the Defense – Casey was in jail.

As I laid out in Monday’s post, Jose Baez had long been requesting of Brad Conway to contact Laura Buchanan as she had some important evidence that is HUGE for Casey Anthony. Baez asked Conway at least three times, over a period of a year, to contact Buchanan, Conway never did. As such, Conway was not aware of what Laura Buchanan would say.

Brad Conway told OCSO that he did not want to help Baez because he was furious with him for going behind his back and working with the Anthony’s to reverse a previous waiver of conflict with Tim Miller that allowed Mark NeJame to represent him.  Baez worked with the Anthony’s to try and reverse the waiver of conflict.  Such a thing is not done and it infuriated Conway.   Furthermore, Conway told OCSO, that if the information from Laura Buchanan was so critical and exculpatory, Baez should be handling it himself!  It was not Conway’s job to work for Casey’s Defense.

However, Conway DID agree to go to Mark NeJame’s office and look through the TES documents to try to find if there were any documents with Buchanan’s name on them – Conway found none.  In addition, Baez asked him again to search for a half dozen other names in the documents, one of the names was Roy Kronk.   Brad did comb through the documents looking for Roy Kronk’s name.  He found none.

To make this long story short, the reason why Baez is in serious trouble is because, in August 2010, to bolster his claim about Laura Buchanan and Joe Jordan being critical witnesses, Baez lied and said that Brad Conway ALSO knows that Caylee’s body could not have been at the location in September 2008, because he has two witnesses (and now Conway) who will support this.

Brad Conway vehemently denies ever stating such a thing to Baez.

Brad Conway, as far as I am concerned, is believable. And, as we have known for some time, Baez makes his own rules and seems to be cut from the same cloth as the Anthony’s.

Oh yes, this is indeed a BOMBSHELL!

1. Feb 2 2011

You know I love you Girl, but I may have to do an BOMBSHELL intervention on you 😉

nice post

• Feb 2 2011

LOL! I know, I have had enough bombshells for one week! Phew… I think tomorrow I’ll post some poetry (and NOT Casey at the Bat!)

• Feb 2 2011

Unless there is a new BOMBSHELL

lololol

2. Feb 2 2011

(a)

3. Feb 2 2011

Hi Kim and Andrea,

GOOD LORD! I’m gonna go make a drink. Anyone want one?

I’ll join you in a glass of Merlot! Cheers, girls. 🙂

4. Feb 2 2011

BOBSHELL IS RIGHT BOZO NEEDS TO LEAVE THIS CASE PERIOD.WHEN PERRRY HEARS ABOUT THIS NOT GOING TO SET IN TOO GOOD BOZO NEEDS TO GO NOW AND A PUBLIC DEFENDER WILL TAKE OVER.PERRY MASON CAN GO ALONG LIKE AN IDIOT.

• Feb 2 2011

Hi Annie, Yes, Judge Perry is going to have to be very vigilant to ensure that Baez is doing the correct thing. Baez will have to cross his “T’s” and dot his “i’s” from now on. He won’t be allow to get away with too much, but Bill Sheaffer thinks Baez will see this case to the end.

• Feb 2 2011

ANDREA HI L DONT THINK THAT THE JUDGE WILL LET OR SHOULD L SAY THAT THE BAR MAYBE NOT LET HIM FINISH UNTIL THE END OF TRIAL BECAUSE DONT FORGET THAT HE IS NOT QUALIFIED FOR A MURDER CASE ANYWAYS.YES AN APPEAL WILL COME REGARDLESS BUT WHO WILL TAKE THIS CASE WITHOUT MONEY?NO-ONE CAN GET JAC MONEY NOW BECAUSE IT WAS USED ALREADY THEY WILL NOT TOUCH TAX PAYERS MONEY ANYMORE.A LAWYER THAT DOES NOT KNOW THIS CASE WILL HAVE TO TAKE MONEY FROM HIS POCKET TO DEFEND THE MENTAL RETARD AND NO ONE WILL IS WHAT L AM SAYING.YES BILL SHEAFFER THINKS ONLY THINKS THAT BOZO WILL SEE THE END OF THIS TRIAL BUT DONT FORGET THAT THE BAR CAN CALL ON HIM OF THE REST OF THE THINGS THAT HE HAS DONE WRONG AND IT WONT SET IN GOOD WITH THE FLORIDA BAR REGARDING BOZO THE ICE CREAM MAN,\.

• Feb 2 2011

the ice cream has definitely melted, Annie!

5. Feb 2 2011

More wine for me Venice, Thanks!!

6. Feb 2 2011

There you go, Andrea!! BOBSHELL!!

Then I don’t need to do the intervention!

😉

• Feb 2 2011

Oh thank Gawd! I’m safe until next post….LOL!

lol

You so silly, girl

• Feb 2 2011

LOL Kim, I am becoming even more obsessed with this trial lately… OMG, save me!

• Feb 2 2011

It has been very active, hasn’t it! All you need do is step away from NG though and all is well

😉

7. Sherry
    Feb 2 2011

Great post, Andrea! I hear that there won’t be any problems with Baez staying as Casey’s lawyer through the trial. Thing is, won’t that be basis for appeal? The trial wouldn’t be postponed if Baez were removed beforehand because Cheney would take over, no?

• Feb 2 2011

Actually, no. If Baez were removed midstream, that would be cause for appeal. This is not going to hurt Casey Anthony, and the jury will not hear anything about it. However, the Judge is going to be very cautious now with Baez, and will likely insist on exact case law when he argues something (according to Bill Sheaffer). Sheaffer concludes that Baez will have to verify all facts he puts forward to Judge Perry. I see more sanctions coming if Baez has not kept up his end of the reciprocal discovery rule. We haven’t heard anything from the Judge with regards to Baez’s motion regarding asking for more time to produce his expert opinions…… And, there is that motion without words that Linda Burdick filed – it was a motion that listed just the contents of the Flash drive. The contents were laughable, if you remember. Anxious to hear the results of that one, too! Ohhh there are fireworks coming!

8. Sherry
    Feb 2 2011

One more thought~

Baez is a bit foolish in doing that which could disbar him. I mean, who would want him to speak about the case if he gets disbarred? Who would trust his book to read it? I gotta say, he may very well have shot himself in the foot for future big bucks! 👿

• Feb 2 2011

Oh absolutely! I honestly think he can kiss his license to practice law goodbye once this case is said and done.

I think this is why Linda Baden and Andrea Lyon left the case… I think they saw the danger of being associated with Baez, given his penchant for dissembling – out right lying!

• Feb 2 2011

I think it was a take the money and run situation. Anyone with any experience saw the case was lost – they came, they grabbed some cash (made of the bones of a dead baby) and they ran.

Casey had a shot wayyyy back in the beginning with Lennamon and Baez shot it down

• Sherry
        Feb 2 2011

Yuppers!

No money in pleading out~

• Sherry
        Feb 2 2011

I agree! Baez was darn good at obsfuscating, too. I bet he taught a class on it. Now his zealousy for Casey’s defense has put him in danger of never being able to obsfuscate again after this trial. Baez’ ego was pretty big with putting together a “dream” team for Casey so he must’ve felt pretty safe in tossing Brad Conway’s name in the mix of who knew what about the remains site.

And I thought Baden and Lyon left because they saw what a joke Baez was. LOL

• Sherry
        Feb 2 2011

😳 This comment was in reply to Andrea’s reply to me above! 😳

• Feb 2 2011

LOL! it could be that Lyon and Baden left for that reason, too – in fact, I have no doubt that they saw things that were of concern to them – I bet they were concerned with this Laura Buchanan / Joe Jordan scenario especially. Plus, Mortimer Smith worked for Andrea Lyon, and he was in the thick of things…. Not good for Andrea….

on a separate note, Andrea Lyon had never lost a DP case, if she lost this one, it would be so public and her reputation, if associated with Baez, might have gone right into the ole toilet.

9. offthecuff
    Feb 2 2011

I don’t know why Conway looked for ANY info in the files for Baez. Just trying to be nice, I guess. Certainly, Baez could’ve done it himself.

If this happened back in August, why hasn’t the judge been harsher on Baez since? We are just now hearing about it, of course, but so much silliness has continued since then in that courtroom during hearings.

• Feb 2 2011

Well, Baez could have gone to review the files himself, yes, but he had to have a person acting as a magistrate sitting in the room overseeing their review of the material… and add insult to injury, Baez had to pay for that. Conway was allowed to see the files, and he didn’t mind doing that favor for Baez – since it was a small favor. But, he refused to check into Laura Buchanan for Baez. He felt it was wrong, and it was troubling to him, too. He felt that since this was such important information, such a huge witness, that Baez should handle it – it’s only right that Baez would want to. But, Baez waited for about 9 months before acting decisively on this, which raised significant red flags for Conway.

Regarding why, since it happened in August, something didn’t occur earlier. Well, apparently Brad didn’t report Baez to the Bar, though he should have. He DID reveal it to OCSO, and by extension, the prosecutors, back in October of 2010.

All of this JUST came out in Friday’s document dump…. I am sure Baez has been a little nervous about this! My guess is that the Judge would not have any idea that this was occurring, until the Bar investigation was made public. Perry clearly would know now. The dynamic in that courtroom will really change, I’m sure.

10. jon
    Feb 3 2011

Andrea: what the hell is going on in Florida? Last night I watched NG and saw that awful story about the mother who killed her 14 week baby because he was interrupting her computer game!. WTF? I was almost physically sick when I saw that poor baby’s photo. I thought Casey Anthony was bad, but this one is beyond description. Plus, the bitch has the gall to stand in the courtroom and ask for her feelings to be considered? This on top of the mother who killed her two teenagers last week in Tampa. I just had to vent, sorry.

• Feb 3 2011

Hi Jon, Yes, there seem to be an inordinate amount of terrible, terrible crimes occurring in our Sunshine State. The middle part of Florida, which includes Orlando, seems to be riddled with the most of it. I look at the Orlando Sentinel every day and it’s shocking to see all the murders there. I’m in South Florida, we have our share, too, but not nearly as bad, thankfully.

I didn’t see or hear about that 14 week old baby murder…. I would want the Judge to throw his gavel at that woman for saying such a thing! I wonder if she was or is an addict….. how else can you explain that kind of depravity?

I don’t watch NG because it’s just too sad, so depressing to see that night after night…. heartbreaking stuff….

• jon
        Feb 4 2011

Andrea: It’s in Jacksonville. The mother was playing some game on the intenet and the baby was crying and she beat him with the computer. Apparently, there were older bruises on his body as well. Evidently, the baby disturbed her. It’s on NG’s website. I was almost sick watching it. A 14 week old little boy. Justin I think was his name. Then when she was hauled into court, she (the 22 yo mother) asked for “understanding” of her situation. I’d like 2 minutes with her. Just 2……… i’m getting to the point where I only watch NG if nothing else is on and even then sometimes throw in a dvd.. She’s getting so abrasive. I stopped watching JMV for the same reason. Get most of my news from the blogs now.

More snow in the NE this weekend. Yikes…..

• Feb 4 2011

OMG. I wonder if that’s the one I read about today? The woman was playing a Facebook game and her baby was interrupting her too much, so she killed the baby.

I wonder about our species when I read things like this. I wonder how prevalent these people are in our towns and cities. Are they growing in numbers? There can only be so many jails, so many police officers, so many courtrooms before the system is totally overrun. It’s such a depressing topic… that’s why I don’t watch NG….

Stay warm in all that snow, my friend!

11. cali patti
    Feb 3 2011

jon … I also have wondered if something is going on in Florida. Then decided to just be quiet thinking I was being unkind. maybe Florida has a larger population or because of the sunshine laws making access to info better, I am guessing. I wondered the same as you.

• Feb 4 2011

Florida is a transient place, Cali Patti, that may be why all the terrible crime. And the economy doesn’t help matters either. Now we have a new Governor (who is also a proven crook). who wants to run the state like a big business, muck up the already mucked up school system, state pensions, and on and on.
      I think that when you lose sight of values and community for the sake of big bucks, you lose the little guy and the guys in the middle…. The big fish just get bigger and dirtier.

12. CptKD
    Feb 3 2011

Great post Andrea! I really do enjoy your writing and appreciate your thoughts and feedback to our responses. . . Anyways, the one concern I have with this whole Baez and Bar issue, is that Mr. Conway did NOT file a complaint with the Bar IMMEDIATELY, nor did he stand up that day in court & deny his collegue’s allegations to the Judge. I think that by him not coming forward right away, he may in fact, have potentially hurt his own credibility. . .Why did someone else file this complaint? CptKD

• Feb 4 2011

Good Morning, CptKD. I think you’re right about Brad Conway’s credibility. It makes me wonder, too. However, we don’t yet know all the facts, so maybe Brad Conway brought this to the State Attorney and they are the one’s who filed the complaint, because it’s been reported that Conway was not the filer in this. I hope that’s the case, as it would look better for Conway, certainly. If Bill Sheaffer is correct when he says this won’t impact the trial, it could be we won’t know for a while who filed this or what will occur.
      Boy though, the fallout from this case is going to be so interesting…. I think a group of folks will be sitting like pins in a bowling alley and the OCSO will send a speed ball down the center of that lane, while they’re yelling STRIKE!!!

13. Feb 4 2011

Good analogy, Andrea! Now can I please be that bowling ball? I promise, I’ll head straight down the center and hit at an angle that takes them ALL down! S.s.sT-Rike!! Please…Please – Like Pretty Please? With humongo cherries on top! Lol! On a serious note, I’d hate to think Brad would be professionally affected by Baez’ stupidity. Its hard to say whether Baez was deliberate in his actions, but with all the stunts he’s pulled, I question his commitment to the oath made to the Florida Bar! CptKD

14. CptKD
    Feb 4 2011

I apologize if this becomes a duplicate post. . . I noticed I made an error in my filling in the fields required to reply. I sorry! Anyways I am not sure if I went to moderation cause I am using my phone to reply, so I will wait a little while to see if it posts before I re-write it all over again. . . Guess I should of had my second cup before responding – Lol! CptKD

• Feb 4 2011

LOL!!! Looks like you typed your comments on the URL line!! Working on a phone is a pain…. I’m on mine right now too. Takes me forever to frame a single thought because the key pad has a mind of it’s own!!!

Sent from my iPhone

15. cali patti
    Feb 4 2011

Venice, I know I am late but I want a drink, please.

16. CptKD
    Feb 4 2011

Silly ‘Ars’ that I am! I did post my whole entire reply in the ‘Website’ field. I did notice that I did that, and so I re-wrote my reply, but then I forgot to edit and erase all that I had written in the wrong field. Guess that must have confused things when it got to your comments submissions. That was quite the “Website” domain I had listed. Lol! I do apologize and I’m glad to hear you ‘get’ whole phone thing. I’ll be making sure from here, that I Keep de’fields in check! Stupid phone. .Cpt

• Feb 4 2011

LOL! That was so funny! Gave me a good giggle… It didn’t come out that way oh here, but it did on the back end…. I thought, my goodness, what a long URL! 🙂

17. CptKD
    Feb 4 2011

And I’m with Cali Patti – It’s time for that GOBLET of Merlot. . . That, or a pitcher of Lime Margarittas and a salt rimmed glass. . . Especially after this afternoon’s hearing – I m still trying to make sense of it all. . . I keep hearing Bozo trying to put ‘shat’ over onto the State. “If we cant do it, neither should they. . Bla, bla, bla. . . ” He really needs to grow up and learn how to be a REAL man. As it stands, he comes off looking like a freak’n baby. Dummy-sucking infant! LMAO! CptKD

• Feb 4 2011

TGIF and I am having a BEER! (low calorie one, of course!)

I felt the same way about Baez today; he was so annoying, and childish – he wants his way on the playground. It’s his way or no way! Well, well, well, there’s a Judge who’s nobody’s fool… he’s not going to put up with much more… I was waiting for contempt charges today! But, then I thought, nah, Perry probably thinks that Baez has had enough trouble this week, he is a kind man, after all, that Judge Perry!