February 24, 2011

news at 11:00?

We had nearly an entire day of no news in the case against Casey Anthony!  Up until 5:00 p.m., there was nary a speck of news – no motions, statements, or documents released.

However, it’s turning out to be a newsy day for Tony Pipitone of the Local 6 television station in Orlando.

Tony Pipitone, breathless and joyful to have the exclusive on a story, says there’s big news and he’s got the exclusive on it, but we have to wait until 11:00 tonight to get it.

What’s the news, you ask?  Oh, sorry… we have to wait because Pipitone is busy “pouring over the information”.  Oh, but it’s big news!  It’s “exclusive” to Channel 6, by golly.

I smell a rush for ratings.  I hear sensationalism.  I’ll eat my words if I’m wrong, but experience tells me that when a news group crows about a BIG story but holds it back for hours, they rarely deliver the goods.

When a story is really big, most news groups want to get the information out there post haste. Not so in this instance, as the website story tells us:

Pipitone is still poring over the information, which centers on what is being said and done behind closed doors in the case against Anthony, and will offer his full report at 11 p.m. Thursday.

Things said and done behind closed doors?   Secret stuff?  Pouring over information infers that he has gathered a great deal of information, so much information that he needs until 11:00 to fully grasp it all.

Pipitone was on the news at 5:00 attempting to titillate and tease us about the information he’s got.  Will Pipitone offer us facts, or idealizations?  Why the tease during the 5:00 news hour?

Ratings?

My Smell Test

Who revealed the information that Pipitone is pouring over?   There’s the rub – Pipitone does not say – he doesn’t even suggest that someone close to the Caylee Anthony investigation has shared information.  However, he is suggesting that there’s a lot of story here because it’s taking him until 11:00 to pour over everything.  The news report claims:

Pipitone’s report will reveal details about the events of December 2008 and the discovery of skeletonized remains later found to be Caylee Anthony.

…some of the information reinforces the state’s contention that Caylee’s death was a homicide, but other portions of the information raise questions about some alternative theories and the specter of some evidence being staged.

This is a very bold statement. The sentence about “staging” is not connected to the “skeletonized remains” sentence; but nonetheless infers that “alternative theories” suggest staging of evidence. Is Pipitone suggesting foul play by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office?   If that is truly what his story will suggest, it is no doubt a defense team tactic.

The statement about “reinforcing the State’s claim that Caylee’s death was a homicide”  is odd.  Why is it necessary to reinforce a homicide?  It’s either a homicide or it isn’t, reinforcing it won’t change it or make it worse than a homicide.

What makes this story suspect is we’re not told where Pipitone’s information comes from.  Where it comes from will tell us a great deal about whether it’s reliable.  Someone could have given Pipitone a lot of “information to pour over”, but who is that someone?  That very critical piece of information is missing.  The website article states:

We have some information that hasn’t become public about what both sides in the case are asking when they’re questioning witnesses.

Information that has not become public?  What both sides are asking when questioning witnesses – meaning deposition questions?

I smell a ratings ploy – a story that will have many in Orlando tuned into their station at 11:00 when they’d otherwise be in bed!

We’re all news hounds about this case – we want to know everything!  But, we want the facts, sources for information, and we don’t like to be teased, right?

Right.

Will you watch Pipitone at 11:00?

Here’s the info: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/26980723/detail.html

Now for some real news

As I was writing this story, WESH announced there will be a hearing tomorrow at 8:45 a.m.

Also, WFTV wrote a correction to their story about the reason that Jose Baez is being investigated by the Florida Bar Association. A spokesperson from the Florida Bar contacted WFTV saying the grievance filed against Jose Baez is not about misrepresenting facts to Judge Perry.  The complaint is related to “ethics or misrepresentation” but would not elaborate or reveal who filed the complaint.

1. Venice
    Feb 24 2011

This is a JOKE! My dear God…..poor Caylee has been shunned by the sleaziest of sleezy in Orlando!

• Feb 24 2011

it’s so true, and so sad….

2. Feb 24 2011

Andrea, do you know of any way that I can watch Pipitone online? I do not get your news here in Canada. TIA

• Feb 24 2011

The only way I know is via their website….I can’t get them on TV either – I’m about four hours from Orlando. I watched their 5 o’clock report on the website with no problem. I am sure they’ll update the website….I don’t want to stay up so late, but I know I will! LOL! Here’s the URL http://www.clickorlando.com/news/26980723/detail.html

3. Feb 24 2011

Andrea, it seems comical now but back in March/April 09, I got in quite an argument with a blogger. I did not own a blog at that time. This blogger said that Casey used the land line at her house ( he got his info from Pipitone) to make that marathon phone call to Tony on the evening of June 15th until 3am on the 16th. I said that she used her cell phone. I got my info from phone records. I thought the info was crucial because it could prove that Casey was not in her home and possibly in the area.. This blogger and I almost came to blows, in fact, I was about to go to Orlando and duel it out with him. Rather than do that, I boycotted his blog for almost two weeks. LOL The only thing that finally resolved our standoff, he was right about the cell pings, I was wrong. I was right about the cell phone, both he and Pipitone were wrong. I am telling you this because I do not expect any bombshells from old Pip tonight. He is not always right.

• Feb 24 2011

ohhhh! Blows, huh? LOL! Cyberspace blows…punch with a right hook using this key \ …… Throw a left one good and hard with this key: / LOL!
      Oh, I am giddy tonight!

I remember, too, that it was her cell phone that night, and it was a long call that Tony characterized as “pillow talk”…

You’re right, he’s often wrong….Maybe I won’t stay up tonight, then… 🙂

4. Feb 24 2011

Andrea, thanks so much for that link. It will be midnight my time when he is due to come on so I will check that link periodically.

5. Sherry
    Feb 24 2011

Okay, there should be video up now of it but I find nothing! What I caught Pipitone saying in the end of the preview video was that there is some evidence that the crime scene was staged. OOOKAY! 😕

• Sherry
      Feb 24 2011

Forgot to say: I wonder what the defense, esp. Baez, has leaked to Pipitone now~

• Feb 25 2011

LOL! He’s supposed to address the staging thing tonight. I’m sure it’s all made up blather, like the drowning. The defense is going to try to say the OCSO or Kronk staged some of the evidence at the crime scene, re: the remains. I don’t see that being successful at all…. (gawd, I hope not!)

6. Sherry
    Feb 24 2011

Here we go!

Not a bad write-up but nothing really all that new except that the defense team may use the accidental-drowning-in-the-pool card. Pipitone got his hands on unreleased depositions. Now, who could have slipped those his way, I wonder…

• Feb 25 2011

I agree with ya… the defense wants more media stories out there.. got to try to infect more of the potential jurors minds with sensationalism.

7. Venice
    Feb 24 2011

I hope that weasel reporter sleeps better tonight after his grandstand show. It was nothing but hot air, and the defense is possibly leaning for an accidental drowning. One point tonight for the State. Tomorrow will be one point for the defense with LIES of planted evidence. MAKES ME SICK!

• Feb 25 2011

me too, Venice. I take offense at the grand-standing. It’s about the death of a baby! I just feel that there needs to be a little more decorum, or respect in how they report some things…. It’s a balance that Kathi Belich is able to pull off – she understands what’s at stake, and what this is all about….

8. Feb 25 2011

the wesel also plans to continue his coverage tomorrow night. the report, in my opinion, was a wast, a huge waste. he talked for about 2 mins. wow! what a scam! they should be ashamed!

• Feb 25 2011

Hi Midget48… There was really nothing in the story that surprised anyone, I don’t think, but it was interesting to read about. Like you, i was offended by the manner in which they teased about this story – the build up and the fanfare… it felt cheap to me.