April 1, 2011

today: dedicated to Dr. Vass

It was wild and crazy in that Orlando courtroom today, I tell you!  At one point during today’s hearing in the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony, the tension was so thick it was palpable – the kind of tension that freezes a person right in their very tracks.

Most of the testimony today was about Dr. Vass, the wonderfully charismatic State Expert who testified to the high levels of chloroform, and of decomposition present in air samples.

Like the song goes….”this is dedicated to the one I love….”   Today was (not so lovingly) dedicated to Dr. Vass. His name was on everyone’s lips.  It was a day of “who can discredit Dr. Vass best?”

Frankly, it got tiring.

Cindy Anthony made an appearance on the stand today.  And, my goodness, 3 years later, she remembers she used a whole can of Febreeze in Casey’s car to stifle the “worst smell she’s smelled in her life,” and she used dryer sheets (yup, those help!), which she’d forgotten to testify to in her deposition.  Oops.

Well, Cindy has a reason for everything.  She explained her reason for not mentioning this in her depo was due to her just starting a new anti depression drug at the time of the depo.  But, now she’s able to remember.  She spoke directly to Linda Drane Burdick, who was not questioning her, and said, “I told you that Ms. Burdick.”  (That was embarrassing.)

Oh, but it did turn out to be a nice day for Cindy after all because  Casey mouthed the words “I love you, too” after she stepped down from the stand.  Do you think it’s because Cindy may go along with the plan to destroy George?  Did Cindy agree to the blame it on George tactic? That’s my guess.

The Judge stepped in numerous times to yell at Mr. Baez and Mr. Ashton, who, like siblings, each want to get a leg up over the other. Mr. Ashton, as fantastic an attorney as he is, is also a major hot-head and cannot stand Mr. Baez, clearly.  They clash so vociferously and despise each other so clearly, that the Judge must play referee.

I believe what Mr. Ashton hates the most about Mr. Baez are the tricks that he plays, the discovery he hides, and the fact that Baez is, clearly, devoid of any sense of professionalism in that courtroom.

The defense called Dr. Kenneth Furton, a researcher from Miami, who was a little terse and snippy.  In the beginning of his testimony, he held his chin in the air so high, you could almost look inside his sniffer.

As the day went on and Dr. Furton not able to channel Dr. Vass and become him, his chin slid down to such a degree he wore what can only be described as a “hang-dog” look. Poor puppy.

So, it was a day about Dr. Vass.  The wonderful Dr. Vass who most scientists in his field look to and emulate, would probably blush at all of the day’s attention.

In short, the defense just needs the smell of garbage to take the place of the smell of a body decomposing. Dr. Furton, in my view, was not able to do that for them.

The bottom line today was the fact that Dr. Furton has always based his studies, his findings and his experiments on separate body parts decomposing.  Not entire bodies.

And therein lies the rub.

There’s a big difference between the two events, as can be imagined.  Dr. Furton would not concede this at all.  He would not admit that results from a whole body versus a body part going through the decomposition process, would be vastly different.

That’s when I kind of stopped listening to him.

No hearing on Saturday.  The Frye Hearings begin again, next week, on Wednesday.

1. offthecuff
    Apr 1 2011

Wow. I can’t imagine using a whole can of febreeze…and still that smell emanating.

This sudden burst of amor between these women is unsettling. I know everything they do becomes the talk of the town, but I can’t help but think that there’s a secret script somewhere that they are following.

• Apr 1 2011

I agree… it’s odd that all of a sudden there is a love fest between them. I am sure it’s helpful for Cindy that her daughter is now civil to her – perhaps Casey has now realized that she needs her family? Maybe she realizes they are the only people on earth, after this trial, who will stick by her.

The only thing I find enormously troubling, and something we always talk about, is the fact that Cindy is essentially excusing her daughter from the murder of her granddaughter. It is unconscionable.

Something must be going on behind the scenes. I wonder why Cindy and her attorney would have a meeting with Baez with out George? Are they plotting? Most likely they are.

• Apr 1 2011

Where is George? He is surprisingly quiet considering the chatter swirling around about him

• Kitt
        Apr 1 2011

Plotting? That gave me chills. I smell something sinister.

2. Venice
    Apr 1 2011

I am just beyond words with this bumbling defense! Going through 40 suspects and still trying is just sickening. Is this case for real??? All this money and in the end there will be a guilty verdict. Casey is asking for the DP!!!!

• Apr 1 2011

I totally, totally agree, Venice. it’s just goes beyond reason – it’s beyond the beyond! The money being spent on this case is grossly unfair. Other indigents do not get this treatment. It’s wrong. What happens when there’s a truly innocent person? I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that what is being spent on Casey is way, way more than what is spent on other criminal cases. It’s not right.

3. katydid
    Apr 1 2011

When did Frebreze start coming in a can? For a long time it was just in a pump bottle…then they started putting it in a spray can. If I am mistaken…Frebreze did not come in a can when Caylee went missing.

• Apr 1 2011

Hi Katydid, I was wondering the same thing… I’ve never seen it in a can, and they kept repeating “can”. Maybe it’s in a can now? I always remember it being in a plastic spray bottle, too. Just another weird moment in Orlando…. 🙂

• katydid
        Apr 1 2011

It is now in a can…but it was just recently that they started selling it in a can. I just noticed..I spelled Febreze incorrectly.

4. katydid
    Apr 1 2011

excuse my typing…had dialysis today. If I am not mistaken

5. Apr 1 2011

I haven’t watched the hearings yet, just bits and pieces so I thank you for this post. I can’t believe that Furton thought it would be the same as far as decomposition goes between a body part and a whole body. That doesn’t even make sense logically! A whole body has the intestines and organs that would emit their own chemical signature as compared to a decomposing leg or arm. BTW, I am currently looking to see where it was that I read that there is no chloroform or anything to create it in Febreze. If I find it I’ll post it here, too!

• Apr 1 2011

OK, thanks to Mainstreamfair and someone who kindly emailed her with info on Febreze, I stand corrected! There is chloroform in the stuff! 😯

• Apr 2 2011

Thanks Sherry! This is great info, and scary, too. I am going to stop using dryer sheets…. I do wonder if Cindy remembering this now is her way of “helping” Casey? If the State had known this previously, Dr Vass could have tested the Febreeze factor to see if he’d get the same high levels of chloroform given the addition of Febreeze in the mix.
        I doubt the State will be able to go back now and retest. This is really a sham. Cindy could be telling the truth here, but why she didn’t think to tell anyone this in the beginning, is typical of her. Is it a case of convenient recall (if there is such a thing!!)? Did I just make up a new way to describe Cindy and Casey’s state of mind? LOL!

• Apr 2 2011

Convenient recall-perfect description!

I hope Janet doesn’t mind me snagging her comment from mainstreamfair~

Casey`s Mom Grilled in Court
        VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. Former prosecutor Robin Sax, the implication here is that, at least what prosecutors are hinting at, is that Cindy is changing her story to say that she sprayed the Febreze in order to provide an explanation for the appearance of chloroform in the trunk and thereby help out her daughter, Casey. Your thoughts, Robin?

ROBIN SAX, FORMER PROSECUTOR: Hey, a change of story is fruitful ground for a prosecutor. Absolutely where a prosecutor wants to go. If there was a key fact that wasn`t mentioned on time A when it was close in time, when you were helping law enforcement, why are you saying it now?

The thing that`s so interesting is, with this change of story, they`re still obviously very worried, because Jose Baez and the defense team is still fighting to get the whole testimony excluded completely, regardless of Cindy Anthony`s change in testimony.

• Apr 2 2011

My favorite part of the comment by Robin Sax~

“If there was a key fact that wasn`t mentioned on time A when it was close in time, when you were helping law enforcement, why are you saying it now?”

• Apr 2 2011

Sherry! Thank you so much for bringing this forward! Yes, this is very telling, isn’t it? My oh my…. Cindy is a piece of work. Even if given the benefit of the doubt (how traumatized she was over the events), it DOES appear that she is “helping” now. Maybe that’s why she and her lawyer went to see Baez just recently? It was probably to discuss this testimony.
        And, is it because of this testimony, Casey “loves” her mother again?
        I bet that’s the case!

• jon
        Apr 4 2011

Hi.

I watched this testimony too and, as I said on another blog, old Cindy is digging herself into a huge hole. If Febreze and dryer sheets produce an illegal substance such as choloform, you can bet the FDA would have taken steps a long time to ago to limit the amount of the chemical these items could produce; certainly not the levels Cindy’s talking about in one can or bottle of it. The business about the anti-depressant is pure fiction in my opinion; just another excuse that a jury will see through.

I also wonder why they’re being allowed to mouth words to one another; it seems entirely out of place in a murder hearing and I hope the judge will put a stop to it during the actual trial. As usual, I get the impression that Casey thinks this is one big show and she’s the star and can act that way. Also, i noticed (although I only saw couple of minutes of the tape) that she was sitting and listening and not shuffling papers and taking notes although she may have done so at another point in the proceedings.

• Apr 2 2011

Purrrfect, Sherry! No harm to kitties or doggies, neither! You are a wealth of great info, Sherry…. thank ya so much! 🙂

• Apr 2 2011

(✿◠‿◠) YW!

• Apr 1 2011

Hi Sherry! I’m in the parking lot ready to head in the grocery store….I’ll look at Frebreeze and see if it 1. Comes in a can and, 2. If it mentions choloroform. Later gator….

Sent from my iPhone

• Apr 2 2011

By the way, my trip to the grocery store revealed that yes, as katydid said, it’s in a aerosol can now, and there’s no chloroform (of course) listed in the ingredients, anywhere. Could it be the amount of chloroform is so low it wouldn’t make a difference in the end? I wonder….

• Apr 4 2011

I was right from the start-there is no chloroform in Febreze-its a banned substance and has been banned since 1972, I believe was the year. In any case, its a banned substance and has been for a long time.

6. Molly
    Apr 2 2011

cindy’s interview in July 2009 with LDB. now i didn’t put myself thru the whole 2 hour interview, but at the beginning LDB asks cindy:
    Are you on any drugs or alcohol today?
    C- No
    L – Does it affect you ability to understand what’s going on around you?
    C – No
    L – Do you feel clear headed?
    C – Yes
    L – Have you had any difficulty understanding anything that I have said so far or asked of you?
    C – No

Unless she brings it up later (or it’s some other interview) she does not state that she has just changed her meds. or that they make her foggy headed & can’t clearly remember things.

• Apr 2 2011

Thanks Molly….. This leads me to suspect that this is a last-ditch effort to attempt to explain away the chloroform levels in the trunk (since we now are certain there is chloroform in febreeze, and dryer sheets) Perhaps this is why Casey is now loving Cindy again???? Is Cindy “helping” Casey?

However, on the other hand, Cindy was extremely traumatized; it’s easier to look back on events in hindsight and remember some things. Obviously then she couldn’t imagine, at the time she sprayed the stuff, what it would mean to the final analysis of the trunk. So, it could be true, but then again, like Casey, she has told so many lies it’d difficult to now know what to believe!

7. Molly
    Apr 2 2011

Sorry! LDB – Are you under the influence of any drugs or alcohol today?
    cindy answers – Just my prescription medication

8. Apr 2 2011

The thing that shocked me the most…… not that I am not use to it……. is Cindy’s lies. Then when she looked at Casey and did the shoulder dance and the half grin towards Casey. And Casey doing it back. Now that knocked me back about two feet. Glad I was sitting down. UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!!!

• Apr 2 2011

Me too, Shyloh. Makes you wonder…. Cindy has lost so much credibility; it will be interesting to see how quickly she looses credibility in the trial. I wonder if the State will want to try to impeach a lot since they will want to jury to believe much of the info she tells – info that tends to implicate her daughter….

9. Kitt
    Apr 2 2011

Just my own experience (and opinion as well!)….I’ve been on a few different antidepressants for the past 15 or so years. Not one of them has ever caused memory problems for me. Nor is “memory loss” or such even listed on the sheet of information that you get every time you get a prescription filled at a pharmacy. Unless I’ve forgotten. Ha.

• Apr 2 2011

😆 LOL!

• Apr 2 2011

Hey Kitt, that’s an excellent point, and true, too. I’ve been on different ones as well, and never had a memory issue. The only issue that I know of that “could” happen would occur as a result of getting OFF of the anti-depressants. If not weaned off of them, they could cause problems, but still no memory loss – or memory gain, for that matter. If anything, there should be more clarity of thought, that’s been my experience. Unless I’ve forgotten, toooooooooooooo!

• katydid
        Apr 2 2011

I am not for the defense in any way shape or form….But…I can sympathize with CA…after watching her yesterday…I felt sorry for….Anyway. My sister was murdered in 2001…I was going to visit her for the weekend…I found her body. When I found her..it felt like someone hit me in the gut…I threw up…then my whole body went numb…I couldn’t think clear, couldn’t drive nothing…I was in a state of shock. I had to have therapy to overcome my PTSD. My therapist explained to me that after such a shock as a sudden death….you are extremely forgetful. I can’t remember details of the first 6 months following her death. So I do sympathize with CA & GA on that part. I believe in their hearts they knew Caylee was dead and it was a big shock to them.

10. mystymiss
    Apr 2 2011

I’m on at lease 8 different types of drugs (my prescriptions) to include an antidepressent and I do not have a need to lie! I have NEVER heard anything so funny!! BUT you know now that I think about it, maybe that’s why I hit the wrong keys when I type!!@@

11. Rochelle Upton
    Apr 4 2011

I just have to leave my 2 cents. My friends are not as interested in these things as I am and are beginning to avoid me. Its hard for me to watch the Baez, cause I get muey annoyed. I wish there was some way to tell Mr. Ashton to chill a little and use his big mind. I would hate to see this be a mis-trial or something crazy because of the courtroom shenanigans. I have trust that the jury will be reasonable people with common sense to see through all of the defenses desparate ploys. Thats all for now, good people, go in justice and happiness and be kind to one another.