April 9, 2011

this train is running

photo credit: Red Huber, Orlando Sentinel

The big news this morning?  The government is still open for business.  Personally, I think Judge Perry had is hand in the  decision in Washington.  Oh yes, the Honorable Judge Perry would surely not let Congress, or President Obama get in the way and delay the start of the State v. Casey Anthony trial!   I am being facetious, though it’s clear the trial is moving forward despite anything in its way.

Judge Perry, despite exhausting himself, is going to do what ever it takes to get this trial running, and on time!  Nothing can derail this effort now.

After watching the rerun of yesterday’s hearing, I wonder, did the lawyers find out yesterday where they were going to pick their jury?  I’m not sure, but Judge Perry did promise that if a jury cannot be selected from wherever location they are going, it is possible to return to Orange County, he said, and select a jury there!  It’s possible that the defense could prevail by arguing against that.  If the defense is successful in arguing against finding an Orlando jury, they will travel to a second secret location, during the following week, to try again.

However, I do think a jury can be found in Orange County, and it may be a happier jury than one that is plucked up from another county and shipped off to another location, then held in confinement for three months, or however long it takes to try the case.  The trouble with Orange County, however, is the fact that this case is incessantly in the headlines there.  One could not avoid it if they tried.

My family recently vacationed in the vicinity – just a half hour away from Orlando – and my mom told me, “Andrea, that case you’re following is talked about on every station, every chance they get – every day.”   No surprise to me – I see the online coverage of the local station and newspaper.   Is the interest that high in Orlando?  It must be, the television stations are all over the story and must be profiting from it.  But, have some  residents in the Orlando area tuned it out?  Are they so sick of it, they avoid it?  Possibly.  I can only surmise, however, based on my brother’s comments.

My brother and his girlfriend live in the Orlando area, and work in Orlando and neither of them have any idea what is happening in the case.  They tune it out but they are aware it’s happening.  Perhaps those of us who are so interested in this case, so involved in it, just assume “everyone” knows about it?  Maybe.  However, I would bet that many people are so busy living their lives they don’t have time to listen to all the news surrounding this case; it’s gone on far too long to sustain the interest of most people, I believe.

Because it’s taken so long to get to trial could work in the Court’s favor, ensuring Casey Anthony gets a fair trial.

Even though people may have forgotten about the case, I believe they remember little Caylee, her singing, and the dear pictures of her resting her head on the shoulder of her grandfather.  Even if  attention spans are short, a person would have to have had their head in a bag to avoid hearing about the case; the wild mother, and the images of the precious child.

I run into people, here in South Florida, who have very little knowledge of this case.  But, if I say, “It’s the case about the young mother who’s baby was missing for 31 days and she partied the whole time.”  They will invariably say, “Oh, yeah. I remember that.”  Then, in the next breath they say either, “Whatever happened?”   Or, they ask, “Is she in jail or did she get off?”

When I tell people I blog about the case, the reaction I usually get is a cock of the head, a furrowed brow, before they ask, “Really?”   The truth is, I don’t care one whit what anyone thinks!  I want justice for Caylee Marie.

The Orlando Sentinel pointed out in a recent article, Obsession with the Anthony case adds to the circus,  I am sure that is true in some respects.

This case has consumed many of us for many reasons.  For those of us interested in the law – this case is a fantastic classroom.  And it does make good theatre.

None of us need to find excuses for our interest in the case, that’s for sure.  But just like those of us who follow every event in the case, there are those who do not know a single thing about it.  Therefore, I have faith that, if the Judge can keep the defense in line during the selection process, a fair jury can be selected in any county in Florida, even in Orange/Oseola Counties.  I have no doubt a decent jury will be found.

Even if it takes two or even three tries to find a fair and impartial jury, the Honorable Judge Belvin Perry will not allow anything to stop this train now.

The cause is justice and it’s coming full steam ahead.

1. Weezie
    Apr 9 2011

Remember RUNAWAY JURY, the movie? I don’t think it will take on that kind of drama but let’s hope that the Jury doesn’t consist of a few people who are so ticked off that the media over covered the case, that it could tempt them to sit in Casey’s favour, out of protest. I for one, am hoping they can find 12 jurors who never heard of the case. That’s the ideal situation. How is this done. Do people get jury letters generally asking them if they have ever sat on a jury. How are these letters seleted to be mailed and how many go out and do they go randomly for a bunch of trials or are they selected mailings for specific trials. How far in advance are the letters mailed.? sorry for all the questions but I am curious how they get to the group of people in the first place. Thanks Andrea or whoever knows the answers.

• Apr 9 2011

Oh… I remember that movie…! That was really interesting, but wholly improbable, it was really good, I remember.

2. Lona1
    Apr 9 2011

I agree, the cause is justice and all the lies and spin are infuriating.

In Session interview with Rob on 4-8-2011

• Apr 9 2011

Thanks, Lona1….. Rob and Tracey saw some wild an wacky antics by Casey, that’s for sure! The family was extreme; the circumstances were just terrible. I hope Lenoard Padilla realizes now what a stupid thing he did by allowing Casey to get out of jail…. What a joke that was.

The only good that will come of her being out of jail is that 911 call she made on behalf of her family. She surely had no trouble dialing for help then…. hmmm. How will the defense ‘splain that?

• Kitt
        Apr 10 2011

Yeah, maybe bonding her out wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but on the other hand…during the time that she was out, it allowed others outside the family (Padilla, Tracey, Rob, Tim Miller) to get a glimpse of how Casey really is, and they got an eye-opener on the family dynamics.

I think this Rob Dick speaks well, definately believable. Do you know if he is on the State’s witness list?

You are so right, Andrea! Casey making that 911 call because of the protesters outside and possible harm to her family. If there was an “accident” that led to Caylee’s death, there’s no reason Casey couldn’t have called for help. We know that she knows how to dial 911. But there was no accident. IMO.

Hey Kitt,
        Yes, I believe Rob Dick speaks well, too. I don’t believe that he is on the State’s witness list. I believe they are bypassing all the folks involved in the Padilla bond scenario. Personally, I think Tracey has interesting things to say, but I get the impression she wouldn’t be great witness for a couple of reasons: 1. she got close to Casey and may be inclined to express feeling sorry for Cindy and Casey, and 2. She has this habit at laughing at everything – more so than Lee does – it’s a bit unnerving, and finally, the State doesn’t need her all that much… plus, she lives in CA, which is problematic, too.

LOL! Those are my long-winded thoughts…

• Kitt
        Apr 10 2011

I did read somewhere that Tracey has that habit of laughing at inappropriate times. I’ve never seen or heard video of her.

Good idea to entirely skip Padilla’s posse! I think they all had some interesting tidbits to share, but not things that would be relevant at trial.

I’ve got to say that this is the most bizarre case I’ve ever heard of in my life. I’ve been a true-crime fanatic since very early adulthood and this case is just over-the-top in bizarreness. Even more so than the Diane Downs case, which happened right here. She and Casey are SO much alike. But….Diane didn’t have her family backing her up and covering her sorry butt. Thank God for decent people!

• Weezie
        Apr 10 2011

Is Rob Dick related to Padia? or does he work for a different agency?

• Apr 10 2011

Hi Weezie, I don’t believe he’s related to Padilla. I believe he just works assignments here and there for Padilla….

• Kitt
      Apr 10 2011

That’s a very interesting interview. I hadn’t seen it until now. Thanks for posting it, Lona1.

3. Apr 9 2011

I just served on a jury. The letter to serve comes one month before and then its iffy you get picked for a trial. One has to prove hardship to get out of jury duty. I think HHJP will be lenient in this aspect as he doesn’t want an angry jury. People who have served on a jury do not have to serve for a year again if they wish not to. That is how it is in my neck of the woods.

Speaking of that, a jurist prospect can know about the case but they must let the court know if it will cause prejudice in their deliberations. Not only questions about the case but other such questions as would prejudice a person are asked, too. Once in deliberations, the letter of the law is followed to the “t”. In my case, it was a domestic battery-girlfriend going all crazy on boyfriend beating him up. He was arrested however. Did he hit her out of self defense? All of us said, “yes” until one jurist said, according to the defendant’s testimony, he was not in fear for his life which is what is required for self defense. We had to find him guilty of battery because he hit her as he pushed her out of his way. An aside, that is why one should not testify at their own trial. The state was clever to play on that man’s ego!

So, even if one jurist thinks Casey is innocent, the letter of the law would find her guilty and that is what must be followed. Unless there is a reasonable doubt which I doubt!

• Apr 9 2011

Sherry! You are so right on regarding jurists who must follow the letter of the law and find her guilty.
      I love being called as a juror! LOL! I know very few people who enjoy it, but I really do. I take it ultra seriously, as you do, and wish I were called more often! I’ve only been called about four times. Was seated as a juror twice, but one trial ended in a plea before it began.
      I’m in Broward County, Florida where there’s so many people, it’s not often they call people once a year…. though I’d like to be! 🙂

4. Diana
    Apr 9 2011

I have to call tomorrow night (Sunday) to a recording telling me if I have jury duty on Monday. Depends on the case if I would want to be chosen. The last time I wasn’t and was glad because it was a case about a man suing a Dr. for malpractice because the man had a new knee replacement, and 7 weeks later, was hit in the knee with a softball and the knee implant shattered.

…Sounds like a case Baez would take.

• Apr 9 2011

lol

It does, doesn’t it!!

• Apr 10 2011

Hey Diana and Kim… The man was suing the doctor because a softball destroyed his knee replacement? Doesn’t sound like that was the doctors fault! That’s a job for AFLAC! Quack!

5. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

click on the right for video about Casey.

• Apr 10 2011

Hi Lona… I saw this advertised on TV last night as I was watching 48 hours, and was shocked at the mock jury scenario where they all stood up indicating they would acquit Casey Anthony.

What a horrible scam this is. I wonder who CBS has bought/paid for this?

Irritates me to no end…..

• katydid
        Apr 10 2011

You know the duhfense is the only people I have seen on TV spinning the dirt. Bozo the Clown is the only one that has said the prosecution has caused the media circus and Ms. Anthony can not get a fair trial…..I beg to differ Mr. Clown. Your stupid face is the only one I have seen on TV. Not the prosecution. IF your “Mother of the year” can’t get a fair trial…It’s your own d**n fault!

• Serendipiterry

The irony is rich…..

• Apr 11 2011

Hi Serendipiterry! Indeed it is rich…. and indeed it is so desperate of the defense, too.

6. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

well, it is horrible, more like horrendous. I know that nothing can be done about the spin surrounding this case. I have sent this info to a certain few people (hint) and I wonder if the judge knows.

7. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

Oh, I am so mad. Isn’t this illegal? The media is overplaying their hand big time.

• Apr 10 2011

Hi Lona, It may feel like it should be illegal, but it’s really not. It’s all about shock value, and selling the show. There’s money involved for the network via higher paying advertisers. I will be interested to see who buys time during the show.

• Serendipiterry

I’ll bet there’s money involved for the Anthonys too. : (

• Apr 11 2011

I wouldn’t doubt there is some kind of remuneration involved in this sly attempt to sway the public…. It’s just incredibly maddening….

8. Rob
    Apr 10 2011

Hi Andrea, Just a few more days and my work load will be cut in half. Tax Season ends for this year. I do love it, in spite of all the deadlines. I will have plenty of time to watch the trial of Casey Anthony for the Murder of her little girl. It is true, that most people are unaware that this case is not over. Most of my friends and family have forgotten all about it. My daughter, who was just as interested as I was three years ago, has lost all interest. I think most people are only interested in “why”, and what the verdict will be. As for the hearings, I find it amusing that Casey found a lawyer that is on the same level as she is. “Birds of a Feather Flock Together.” Silly little saying but so true in this case.

• Apr 10 2011

Hi Rob! I am sure you will be relieved when the tax season is over! Speaking of which, I am doing my taxes today…Turbo Tax Time for me!
      I don’t like doing taxes one bit… procrastinate terribly about it!

With regards to people’s interest in this case, yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if people have forgotten about it, and that is good for the trial. And, I agree that many people simply care about the outcome and the “why”. I wonder if we’ll ever get a difinitive answer as to why?

I guess there must be enough interest to “sell” this case to the masses, which is so damn sad. On the one hand I find all the media coverage of this case horrible, but on the other hand, I am one of those people devoted to and devouring the media coverage. So, I have no right to complain. There’s the rub, I guess.

Right now, however, it’s all about Casey Anthony, not so much about Caylee. I believe (hope), when the State’s case is up and running, the focus will swing back to the reason for the case: Justice for Caylee.

I think the focus will swing back, but let’s face it, Casey Anthony is a fascinating character. Her parents are fascinating, too.

I asked my brother again today if he’s aware of what’s going on in the case – since he lives right there in Orlando, he said he has no idea. I asked him how he can tune it out when he watches or hears the news. He said he’s only interested in finding out what happens in the end, just like you said!

9. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

48 hour contact for a complaint.
    I hope that JPerry now chnages his mind and selects the jury from Orange County, and Orange County only.

• Apr 10 2011

Thank you so much, Lona. I have just filed my complaint and asked them to consider releasing this program AFTER the trial. Otherwise, in my opinion, it is prejudicial to both sides. No matter which way the program slants, it’s wrong! Having the Anthony’s on to rehash the pizza smell and whatever nonsense they will bring up, is just foolish and just plain wrong.

• Apr 10 2011

Let them go on and lie again. The more people see and hear out of them the more people will know the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Cindy taught Casey everything she knows and Casey stepped up the game from lying and conning to murder and felony theft. Let them spew – they are just adding more nails to her coffin

• Apr 10 2011

Hey Kim, Yes, you’re right – I have to believe that people will not be fooled by the nonsensical musings by the Anthony’s. I imagine that right about now both the Antony’s and the Defense team are fairly nervous since they have to know the State’s scientific evidence is coming in and will corroborate the chain of circumstantial evidence that is available in the case.

10. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

this is 1 of 2 emails i sent to JA.
    My intent is for the judge to lower the jack hammer and select the jury from Orange County.

——–Pls. be aware that no reply from you to me is necessary and that I do not want to intrude and continue to email you with ‘stuff’, but the 48 hr. segment orchestrated by the defense and the Anthonys just takes the cake. Does the Judge know about this? Isn’t Mr. Baez whining about potential jurors having to much BAD information re his client?
    Will the jury now come from Orange County? It should! Mr. Baez is tainting the future jury pool!
    The Anthonys are on live TV and are witnesses to the state in this case? All this is so wrong.

11. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

It just ocured to me that the judge is playing games with the mind of pen-clicking-fool Baez. The judge said that if no jury could be selected from the location chosen (by judge), he will then select persons from Orange County…..NOW I GET IT———Ha ha ha….only if a jury could not get selected from Orange County, will he then introduce a third location.
    He already got one up on that slimy defense attorney 🙂

• Apr 10 2011

Hey there Lona1, Yes, Judge Perry is nobody’s fool. I’m sure he realizes that a fair and impartial jury can be found anywhere, even in Orange County. I hope they do select people from Orlando – it would sure save our cash-strapped state some money, that’s for sure.

12. Lona1
    Apr 10 2011

I can tell you that if Cindy continues with her lies and perjury on the stand, they will click the cuffs on her in a hurry. People in charge will be so sick of her lying, foul mouth that they cannot arrest her fast enough so that she can shut up already.

13. Weezie
    Apr 10 2011

Remember back in the day when t.v. talk shows would put on mock juries IE: Jon Bonet Ramsay, O.J. Why can’t one of the networks do this for the other side then. Hardly seems right that 48 hours would stoop so low as to not give both sides. I know why,……….. NOone from the Prosecution side would date stoop so low as to partake in such nonsense. It just shows how Baez was going to get onto the gravy train. I wonder how much they paid that motly crew and if it’s even legal to do this before trial? Someone should notify HHJP about this one. I think a stop airing sanction would happen. It would be easy for him to do it i THINK.

• Apr 10 2011

I do remember that… And I know that in many murder cases, the lawyers would use mock trials and a mock jury to gauge how the case is being perceived by regular persons.

The way 48 Hours is billing this show sounds like it’s going to be slanted toward the defendant. Somehow, I cannot believe they would do this…. perhaps they will be impartial but they want to create controversy? Even then, I think it’s wholly WRONG for them to put this show on before a jury is selected! It’s especially wrong if they allow the Anthony’s to vent their untruths.

They had an excellent program on last night about a Canadian case about Col. Russel Williams. Did you see it? What an awful man… so sick and yet he rose to great heights in the military ranks. It was very disturbing, but quite good, too.

14. Weezie
    Apr 10 2011

Andrea; Col. Williams was the disgrace of CANADA, since he was head of the Defence and it was so shocking and unbelievabel that this could happen, noone actually believed it at first. It captivated all our newscasts, media, magazines, newspapers etc. Because of the excellent LE’s who questioned him, one in particular, he actually gave in and decided to show where he hid the second murder victim. It went to a VERY SPEEDY trial, so in essence, we got about 6 months of solid news about him and now NOTHING, absolutely nothing more to be said. The small town of Belleville, which is about 2 hours east of Toronto, still mourns and is forever changed by the the dastardly deeds he comitted. He violated 100’s of people’s privacy, and pretty much injured a few others aside from the murders. He was a very SICK puppy, and one with such a high command post, he even travelled with our Prime Minister and other high ups. He never showed once, what a monster he was. So it shows that miss suszie cue Casey can hide all she wants to, but don’t try to kid someone or a group of someone’s who have been around the block a lot more than she has. That also goes to Cindy and her lying ways. She reminds me of the little man on the mountain on Price is Right. up up up ooops she’s over. lol. Anyway I wrote to 48 hours telling them we all have informed HHJP of the programme. I don’t mind even if they air it after the jury is seated, because they will be sequestered at that point, so the 48 hours people will still get a lot of play on it, but just not spoiling the JURY POOL.

• Apr 10 2011

Oh yes, I can imagine the whole country would be disgusted and in shock over this vile man and his evil, evil deeds. His poor wife, too. And the neighbors young daughter who trusted him so much and turned out he broke into their home and could have harmed the women and the young girl in that home, too. What a shocker! I had nightmares last night about that show….

The detective who interviewed him did a stunning job. What skill he had – how carefully he eased out the information from him. They said he also tried to commit suicide in jail by shoving the cardboard from a roll of toilet paper down his mouth….

Sorry you had to live through that horrible case………..

15. damagdpets
    Apr 11 2011

The defense filed for change of venue and got it. Since, they want to complain about wanting to know the location. Perry is doing the right thing in giving a few days notice and under seal. This will prevent the defense from getting on TV and messing with the jury pool. I believe the judge’s intention on getting a jury in 5 days is a little short but can be done. He thinks they can go through 30 people a day. I am thinking that Perry told the attorneys about coming back to Orlando was to infer that they can’t waste time like they did at the Frye hearings. Attorneys on InSession claimed they had never seen Frye hearings take this long. The reason was because the defense tried to involve too many things that had nothing to do with what they were there for. I think Perry has had enough of the time wasting by the defense.

• Apr 11 2011

I bet you’re right, damagedpets. I think that Judge Perry is on to the defense stall tactics. This judge is moving this case forward!