April 17, 2011

just hype

The CBS 48 Hours Mystery “Only Casey Knows,” was much ado about a lot of nothing.  The defense lawyers did try to make the State’s case seem like a walk in the park for them to overcome, however it was all posturing and fabricated information.  Nothing we haven’t heard before in other press conferences from Baez and Company.

The defense objective was completely transparent:  Make it seem like we have a slam-dunk defense because the state has no evidence, and certainly not enough for a death penalty decision.

No evidence?  That’s right Mr. and Mrs. Average American TV Viewer, this case is a walk in the park for the defense.  The State has NO DNA, no physical evidence, NO evidence of homicide, blah blah blah – same ole’ song – Casey is being railroaded.

Yeah right.

The show, naturally, was slanted only one way, BUT not necessarily toward Casey Anthony’s innocence.  The focus group concluded, the death of Caylee Marie sure may have been an accident.

There we have our defense strategy.  Okay… That’s all well and good, but if Anthony does not take the stand, how does the evidence of “accident” come in?  It doesn’t.

The focus group idea fell flat as far as I am concerned.  How can a focus group decide anything in 4 hours?  Determining guilt is no walk in the park, and with the defense’s jury consultant,  Richard Gabriel, running the focus group, it was clearly a scam.

The show was as transparent as it gets.  The message: The state does not have the goods to convict Anthony of anything other than, if the State is lucky, involuntary manslaughter.

Yeah right, again.

Cheney Mason – made out to be the venerable lawyer in the group – did his very best to pull the wool over the collective eyes of TV land.

Mr. Mason said, “…this is the biggest case with the least amount of evidence I’ve ever seen – anywhere.”

Okay, I will forgive Mr. Mason this, as he is unable to hear what’s going on in the court proceedings.  He is unable to follow what’s going on in the courtroom, therefore he thinks he’s being honest.

There were a number of shots of an office space in which Mr. Cheney and Mr. Baez were working diligently on something or other.  There were shots of Mr. Baez “at work” going in and out of offices. Looking like he’s a busy lawyer.  The “staging” in the show was maddening and ultra fake.

I’ve done quite a few television shows and commercials; I know that it is painstaking to set up a single television shot.  Mr. Baez and Mr. Mason were in a number of shots and each camera sequence would take a minimum of an hour.  I would guesstimate that the time Mr. Cheney and Mr. Baez’ gave to making this episode took probably three days.

Wouldn’t you think if you have a client faced with the Death Penalty, you’d want to spend that time working on your case?

Oh, that’s right, there is no case!  That’s the purpose of the show!  All potential jurors must be told about the slam dunk this case will be for the defense.  Kind of like subliminal messages: Perhaps the defense believes that the more they talk of the State’s case being weak, the more people will accept it as truth, subliminally, or otherwise.

I don’t think this episode did it for the defense.  I always enjoy this program and have found they do a good job with telling most stories.  Not this time. Instead of a coherent story, it was fluff, dramatic music, and hyperbole.

I did notice there seemed to be new pictures of Caylee.  I wonder if there was a new licensing agreement attached to the photos?  Who was paid for the use of the pictures?  Is this funding the defense, or lining the pockets of the Anthony’s?  Is it paying Richard Gabriel’s fees as a jury consultant?  Judge Perry denied the defense funds from the JAC for a jury consultant.  Is Gabriel working pro bono, too?  Hah!  Fat chance.

The show did a nice job on Linda Kenney Baden’s hair and make-up.  She looked very nice, but spoke bizarrely.  Why would she discuss Anthony’s lying about the Nanny?  Why would she say (I’m paraphrasing), “It’s going to be difficult for the jury not to find her guilty of something.” WHAT?!  Now, didn’t that statement completely turn on its head the reason for doing this valentine-love-story in the first place?

Oh, and take note of this:  Mr. Baez told us again that once the case begins, we will learn of the “very compelling reason” for the 31 day time-frame when Anthony was on the lamb and enjoying her beautiful life.

This was communicated only a few days ago when Mr. Baez advised the show “In Session” that during the defense opening statement, the reason for the 31 days will be solved.

Yeah.  Right.

To address the State’s case, Florida Attorney General, Pam Bondi spoke, and did provide some balance.  Bondi appeared to have intimate knowledge of the case, and discussed Anthony’s “habitual lies” to which Linda Kenney Baden said:  “She’s a liar.  That doesn’t make her a murderer.”  Not true in this case.

All in all, it was much ado about nothing new.

Hype.  Plain hype in every sense of the word.

1. Apr 17 2011

I agree with your assessment-all hype. I didn’t think the defense scored too well with this airing despite its defense slant. I guess that Baez and Mason knows who really hasn’t got any evidence-they, themselves of her innocence.

• Apr 17 2011

You got that right, Sherry – no evidence of innocence, no evidence of truth in any of their statements. They weren’t in a courtroom, so they let-go with the lies. Linda Kenney Badin is the ONLY one who didn’t grow a long nose last night!

• jon
        Apr 19 2011

I watched part of it last night and was relieved when the “jury” said they’re find her guilty of accidental manslaughter. At least they would charge her with something. The way this was hyped, it was as if they would let her off completely. I would like to see the “accidental” removed though from a real decision since it would mean, I imagine, a lot more time in the “pen”.

2. Apr 17 2011

BWAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

” The “staging” in the show was maddening and ultra fake.”

the EXACT reason I didn’t watch!!

• Apr 17 2011

LOL! You didn’t miss much – same old song, just a l of sour notes and off-key singers…..

3. CptKD

“HERE-HERE”!

I couldn’t have said it any better myself –

Thank you, Andrea!

You summed that up – BEAUTIFULLY!

Thank-you!

• Apr 17 2011

Thanks, CptKD! 🙂 Hope you’re having a great weekend! Mine has been great!

4. Hilde
    Apr 17 2011

Andrea, I did think Florida Attorney General, Pam Bondi did a great Job in reversing some of the crazy stuff the Defense came up with.
    She was the only one which made Sense when looking at all the Evidence in this Case which is known so far.
    I really didn’t take the Defense seriously, they didn’t know what they are talking about and it was nothing new, we have heard it all before.
    The only thing the Defense accomplished in this Segment with their phony Mock Jury is there are People out there which don’t believe Casey should be charged with Murder One therefore the Defense shouldn’t have any problems to seat a Jury even in Orlando. So Mr.Baez can stop whining anytime. 🙄
    Myself I thought the Program last night did cover a lot of Events the way they occurred in this Case.
    Thanks to Pam Bondy we didn’t just hear the Defense, she made very good Points in my Opinion.
    We just have to stay positive and look forward for Justice to work in this Case and Casey getting what she deserves, nothing more and nothing less. JMO

• Apr 17 2011

Seems , in this case, it is always stuff we heard before. So where oh where is the revelation?
      What ‘new’ stuff could there be?

• Apr 17 2011

Hey Hilde – that’s right – the bottom line is that we need to be patient and let the system work as it will, at its own time, and in its own way.
      I was glad that Bondi was there to provide a little leverage to the show, but it was so clear that she was just “filler” to the Defense’s valentine, but she laid it out well, I do agree with you! 🙂

5. Swift Justice
    Apr 17 2011

I too would like to know WHO PAID FOR THE NEW PICS OF CAYLEE?
    Somehow I feel the ‘grieving grandparents’ NOT received the $$$ and
    again lined their pockets with Caylee’s Blood.

Most of the videos were ‘old’….the house tour….Cindy on floor near
    Caylee’s bed…..that was staged when it firs aired.
    One thing I really howled at…..George seemed to change his story about
    when the last time he saw Casey & Caylee….

First it was while he was on the couch watching the Food Channel….now
    he said he walked them out to the car…blew kisses……bye bye….well
    George…..bye bye to you too. These people lie so much they can’t even
    keep their stories straight. LOL
    Mason….a true blowhard…..and not a gentile southern gent as he wants
    to be portrayed. He’s rude and grates on my nerves.
    LKBaden…..telling us something we don’t already know and have from minute one……..’Casey is a liar….Casey lied’. ROFLMAO at that little bit of news that she thinks we don’t know……
    As for Baez……OMG …..I for one (ok many with me) will be patiently waiting to hear Jose tell us all the ‘very compelling reason for the 31 days
    that Caylee went missing”, and all in his opening statement to the jurors.
    HA HA HA
    I suppose at that time…..we’ll have our AHH HAA MOMENT and see the
    light, Jose? I think not.
    The only thing that Cheney Mason stated which I think is CORRECT,
    is that this case is in the MILLIONS……and all because of a lying , thieving,
    pole dancing POS who thinks she’s SPECIAL and A STAR who trashed her
    child because of her determination for a ‘BELLA VITA’.

JUSTICE IS NEAR….CAYLEE.

from BlinkoneCrime:

“CBS 48 Hours also STATES THEY COMMISSIONED the focus group. Are we clear on that? CBS has outright admitted to contributing to the costs of the defense expenditures of Casey Anthony. That is a source of income to this defendant, period.”

• Apr 17 2011

Hey Swift Justice – Thank you for your wonderful thoughts! And, thanks for reminding me about what George said! I forgot to mention that. Yes, he told a new story of that incident!!!! When the hell did he walk out to the car and blow kisses to them both goodbye? You’re right, they lie so much they can’t keep their stories straight. It is going to be really difficult for them to take the stand in the State’s case because they will be impeached, literally, on every sentence they say. Oh, I can see it now: They might just get so mad, it will be a repeat performance of the Morgan and Morgan testimony!

• jon
        Apr 18 2011

Andrea: I would LOVE to see Cindy and George act as they did in the Morgan testimony when they’re on the stand in the actual trial before Judge Perry. I’d like to see his reaction when Cindy tells the attorneys that the questions they’re asking aren’t relevant. I have a feeling that every time they open their mouths they’re going to be jamming their feet into them. I’ve sat on several juries and the demeanor of the witnesses has always been taken into account along with what they have to say. Justice is coming!

• Apr 18 2011

Hey Jon, I sure would love to see that, too. In fact, Cindy has tried it with Judge Perry and he shuts her right down…. Perry will not take any of her lip, I am certain of that!
        OMG, I remember now all the times she said the question wasn’t relevant! It was difficult to believe she could be so arrogant as to tell a lawyer their question was not relevant! I’m sure the lawyers have never seen anything like the Anthony’s – they probably never will again! (Well, except when the civil trial rolls around!)

6. Hilde
    Apr 17 2011

BTW The Defense keeps repeating the same old same old mantra, there is no DNA and no Evidence, therefore the State has no Case.
    Give me a Break! Why in the World is their Client sitting in Jail for almost 3 Years. I would be pretty upset if I would be her, after all she says she is innocent! What a Crock that is.
    I wouldn’t want to be in her shoes, she is about to get a Wakeup Call!
    Caylee is gone forever, I don’t see any one else being accused of killing her or for that Matter the Anthony’s never tried to find the real Killer since they obviously don’t think their Daughter did it.
    There is definitely something wrong with this Picture and we all know what it is, yes 48 Hrs. is right in this Aspect,”Casey only knows!”

• Apr 17 2011

We need to make a list of all the people the Anthony’s and Baez have tried to pin it on

• Apr 17 2011

YES! Hilde…. I wanted to hurl when both Mr. Mason and Mr. Baez went on about no DNA, no physical evidence, and so on. It’s pretty easy to say “No DNA” on the duct tape, as if that means something! “DNA decomposes just like the body decomposes”, is what I wanted to yell to the knuckleheads!

7. Venice
    Apr 17 2011

Same ‘ol, same ‘ol….that’s why I did not watch. LOL!!!

• Hilde
      Apr 17 2011

maybe You were right by not watching, I really don’t know anymore.
      This Case became such a Scam on part of the Defense, it’s sickening.
      The Media is also partially to blame for giving the Defense so much time for putting their BS out for every one to hear.

• Apr 17 2011

It’s sweeps!! Come on, ya’ll!!

8. Rob
    Apr 17 2011

Right on Andrea, The 48 Hours Special, was all hype. LKB, statement about the Nanny being a lie was odd. What is the defense up to? And, what will Cindy say about the Nanny being a lie? She had the Nanny’s phone number, and Caylee talked about the Nanny’s dog. What lying liars they all are. When Baez mentioned to Judge Perry, that he did not want the media in court; Judge Perry stated it would be reversed in 48 hours, if he tried to stop the media coverage in court. Do you think he used 48 hours, as a little reminder to the Media Hounds? Faux pas, I meant to say the defense.

• Apr 17 2011

What will the DT do after this is over? No one calling or answering their calls …
      Kinda funny, really

• Apr 17 2011

Hey Rob – Judge Perry is a very, very talented communicator and I do think it was perfectly convenient to slip the 48 hours in there! I do think it was purposeful. Absolutely.

And, oh, that’s right… What will Cindy say now? Where’s the dog? Where was the number for Zanny that both Casey and she had? Hmmmm.

And, I almost fell off my chair to hear Baez ask to stop the camera’s in the courtroom!!! All of a sudden the media hounds want the media off limits. They want it both ways, clearly. Could it be they want the cameras off because they don’t want the public to see them get ripped apart by the State? As Judge Strickland so famously said, “The irony is indeed rich.” (or “rich indeed.” I forget!)

9. mystymiss
    Apr 17 2011

WAIT! I think I know what Bozo will say in the first few min. of Casey’s trial!! She’s not guilty of murdering her daughter because Casey was out partying, dancing and shopping during that first 31 days, we have proof of that. You all can’t expect a very busy young mother to remember where she left her daughter and you know there are thousands of nannies in this world that could have been watching Caylee. I’m sure at least some of them are 10s. If LE work harder they could have found someone else to blame it on.
    Hey it could have been George or Lee maybe Kronk, Jessee or even the bakery guy.. Yeah Yeah so Casey Lied to LE she was just normally testing their skills to see if they could figure out her code. Casey is just misunderstood!

Hahahaha Justice For Caylee!!!!!!!!

• Apr 17 2011

PERFECT, Mystymiss! Yes, that’s what he will say – she didn’t even KNOW what happened because she was too busy having her beautiful life. Of course! Gosh, I sure feel stupid – how could I have missed that clue? LOL!

I really do think that George will be thrown right under that bus, and so will Jesse (unfortunately), they will try to impeach Kronk and they will harass him on the stand to try to get his goat so that he looses his cool, or something, since they really need him to look guilty. They are not permitted to discuss any bad character flaws with regards to Kronk, but they are going to try their damnedest to finagle and leave some kind of question mark with regards to Kronk. They would love to have the jury doubt Kronk – they need that, but Kronk is a cool character – he’s no dope and he won’t fall for such tricks, I don’t think….

• jon
        Apr 18 2011

Oh Andrea! let’s hope they don’t try to throw Jesse under the bus (again). I feel so bad for that guy. He’s about only person in this whole bunch that, I believe, has universal sympathy not to mention integrity. He was used big time. If he’s called onto the stand, I really want to see if Casey can look at him during his testimony.

• Apr 18 2011

Oh, I know, Jon. Jesse is an all around great guy. He’s bright and articulate, and my entire heart goes out to him. Casey is so crass I bet she would not blink when faced with him. She’s a cold one.

10. Kitt
    Apr 17 2011

Aahhhh….I knew if I came to Andrea’s that all would be logical and level-headed. Thanks!

I watched the program; didn’t really feel much about it one way or the other. And then I fell asleep before it was even over.

Hey Kitt! LOL… Thanks for thinking I am logical and level-headed! 🙂
      I thought it was beneath CBS. They wanted to generate and audience by titillating them with regards to the “not guilty” angle, but I really think it fell flat without coming close to the climatic effect I think they were aiming for.

• Apr 18 2011

Thank you, Sherry! Looking forward to reading this! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

11. GasCanGeorge
    Apr 17 2011

George isnt going to be “Thrown Under The Bus” By anyone. Hes already done that all by himself, they cannot and will not make up anything. He has a past record and a past that isnt pretty…. IMOO///// Sit back and watch.

• Apr 18 2011

Hi GCGeorge!
      I don’t think they will “make up” anything. They will present alternatives in which George could have acted in place of Casey. I know he did not kill Caylee – he didn’t drive around with her body in Casey’s car. Why would Casey pretend that Zanny had Caylee if her father was the one to kill the child and place her in Casey’s trunk? Casey knew how to dial 911, as we saw in her 911 call about the protesters outside of her house. Why did she party and enjoy her “good life” if her Father killed her daughter that they both claimed to love?
      Using George as reasonable doubt just may be the only doubt the defense has. The attorney’s didn’t deny or affirm they would consider George…. We shouldn’t be surprised if they use him in this way; I don’t think it will work, but if George comes off with great anger toward the state when they question him, the defense could very well capitalize on that….

12. mystymiss

I can see why George is not on Law Enforcememt. He is lackimg
    integrity. Our Police force would have also given him his walking papers if he showed this ability to tell mistruths,

• Apr 18 2011

I agree mystymiss. There is some lack of integrity that appears to be inherent in him. Although, at the beginning of the case, he appeared honest until Cindy rewrote everyone’s story and ensured George took a backseat in the investigation. Neither Cindy or Casey wanted George to act like a cop. They totally emasculated him, in my opinion. Incredibly sad.

• jon
        Apr 19 2011

I don’t think Cindy has ever forgiven George for his grand jury testimony. She’s probably made his life miserable since then.

13. Apr 17 2011

Hi Andrea and everyone here. Andrea great article. I agree with the name knuckleheads. Baez knucklehead saying no evidence, Caylee’s bones are evidence. CBS i now give them the same scuzzy credentials as the defense team.

• Apr 18 2011

Well Hi Knight Owl! so nice to see you and your pretty kitty! LOL! once a knucklehead, always a knucklehead!

14. Apr 17 2011

Hi Sherry, thanks for that link. Blink was a good read.

15. Apr 17 2011

Keep the faith my dear friends. Pam Bondi is the one and only one that was truthful. Casey isn’t going anyplace. She will be headed down a long, long, long, (TO HER) hallway, to view her last thoughts, as in KILLING CAYLEE and what those last minutes of her life were, it is just one of many last thoughts, the halls will never end (for her) but will be quick as lightening… She will be asked her “last request” Maybe it will be a TACO DELIGHT! “ONLY CASEY KNOWS.” Be assured the STATE has it’s case. The defense is desperate. The jury will be wise. They will consider ALL the evidence. Even if it is all circumstantial !!!

16. Linda
    Apr 17 2011

Andrea……. you have to watch CSI Miami, I think this is Baez next move………..some dissociate disorder……unreal

17. Whistlersmother
    Apr 18 2011

All I can say is birds of a feather flock together, there cannot be a better and more appropriate defense team for a member of the anthony family. They are all peas in a pod.

18. CptKD
    Apr 18 2011

NOT sure if you’s have had a chance to read Dr. Glass’ latest post on the 48hrs program, aired this past Saturday night…
    Thought I’d bring the link over:

(Definately worth the read)

• Apr 18 2011

Thanks a bunch, Cap! I enjoy her articles, too – well not when she says mr. Baez is a great lawyer- that’s a bit of a stretch! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone

• CptKD
        Apr 18 2011

I here you on that one!

I responded to her blog, and asked her if she would be prepared to offer her services to the State of Florida?

I’ll check back later to see if she replies to my questions?

Have a great day, eh!

• CptKD
        Apr 18 2011

OOOOOPS!

I “HEAR” you on that one!

I did not mean to use “HERE”!

Spologies!
        LOL!

• Apr 18 2011

I hare yous!

Sent from my iPhone

19. kas
    Apr 18 2011

I changed the channel after a few minutes, but they clearly used a bunch of old footage from the previous 48hours “Special” they did on the case. But I’m curious– did they scrub all mention of Kid Finders this go ’round? Last time, we got loads of George and Cindy helping take pictures of children for I.D. tags and such for Kid Finders.

It’s interesting to me, if they removed all mention of Kid Finders, WHY? Did someone ask them to?

• Apr 18 2011

Hi Kas! That’s right! They sure said nary a word about those conniving Kid Finders. I wonder if the Anthony’s have gotten wise to them now? Maybe CBS checked into the organization after the last show they did and found out how questionable their dealings are/were?
      It’s interesting that Cindy and George weren’t featured in this show…. Could be that CBS recognizes the negative fallout from the two of them when they are on television.

20. offthecuff
    Apr 18 2011

So if after trial, the defense shouts that Casey didn’t get a fair trial, the judge should pull out all the media appearances the defense has done, slap them with a flyswatter, and tell them to buzz off.

• Apr 18 2011

Hey Offthecuff – Absolutely! Who are they to cry wolf at this juncture? They have been married to the media but now that it’s not really working to the advantage of the Defense Team, they want to pull the plug?
      Baez didn’t realize (in the beginning of the case) the monster he was creating when he began his love affair with the cameras. And, you’re right, there appears to be no way they could complain given the fact they created this monster…..