April 25, 2011

random news today

We waited and we waited and we waited and still no ruling about the Frye motions in the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony.

It seems the good Judge Perry is weighing the issues carefully.  After all, if the science from Dr. Vass and the Oakridge National Laboratory is allowed, it will be precedent setting.  Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton was the first to introduce DNA evidence, and may be the first with the odor analysis from the air, too.

Also today, the Orlando Sentinel is reporting that George and Cindy Anthony’s attorney filed a motion regarding excluding them from the normal rule of sequestration that most witnesses in a trial have to abide by.  The Anthony’s, since they are next of kin, want to attend the entire trial despite their testimony.    The purpose of sequestration for witnesses is so their testimony will not be colored by the testimony of other witnesses.  It stands to reason this motion will have to be argued, especially because Judge Perry already indicated the Anthony’s may attend after they testify.

Defense Motion in Limine

Today the defense filed another Hail-Mary motion In Limine to exclude evidence or testimony about the “31 days” and “social behavior,” including photo’s that suggest Casey Anthony was partying and having a grand old time.  Click here to read the motion.

Since evidence or testimony about a defendant’s character is inadmissible, the defense makes the argument that Casey Anthony’s “social behavior” during those 31 days is inadmissible as it tends to address character, not consciousness of guilt.

The defense believes that if the jurors hear about the defendant’s actions during those 31 days, they will mistake what is “character” testimony/evidence for consciousness of guilt evidence/testimony.  In short, the defense is arguing that the 31 days proves nothing and the partying photos prove nothing as it relates to consciousness of guilt.

There is no way Casey Anthony’s actions during those 31 days would be inadmissible – her actions speak loudly of consciousness of guilt.  Here are just a few of the reasons why:

• Not a soul was told of Caylee’s “disappearance”, on the contrary, friends and family were told elaborate stories of Caylee’s whereabouts using Zanny the Nanny – who does not exist – as a cloak.  This is clearly consciousness of guilt as stories were concocted as a cover to avoid detection.
  • Because a deliberate effort was made to flee from her family’s detection, it clearly speaks to consciousness of guilt.
  • The partying during the 31 days could be construed as an effort to act “normal” as if nothing were wrong.
  • Getting a tattoo to convince herself and others that hers was a “beautiful life” despite a missing daughter, was meant to deceive.
  • The stories of the “calls from Caylee” – told to Amy Huizenga, and the detectives – were to convince Amy that Caylee was happy, and to convince the detectives that Caylee was alive but being held by Zenaida.

Needless to say, there are many more examples that the state will use, the most damaging evidence of guilt are those 31 days.   What mother waits 31 minutes when harm comes to their child?  There is no way around it – those 31 days tell the story.

This is easily the most damning evidence, bar none.

Not a chance this Hail Mary is caught at the one yard line.

1. Apr 26 2011

Just got done voting. Looks like Yuri is at the #1 spot. GO YURI!!!

I just can’t imagine those photos not coming in. LDB did an excellent job of explaining why those photos should be allowed. I have a strong feeling they will be admitted into evidence.

2. Venice

Casey sure was “happy” 🙂

3. Venice

(877) 587-6713
    Everyone please leave a message for InSession expressing your disgust in interviewing Baez just days before the trial!

• damagdpets
      Apr 26 2011

Maybe he should do the interviews. Maybe the prosecution can use the video of Baez trying ” to put a square peg in a circle hole.” I just wish that In Session would ask the tough questions going back to the beginning about Baez claiming she is innocent! She is willing to work with LE? She needed to get out of jail because she couldn’t investigate from there? No bus service to Fushion or the tattoo parlor. Why if she is so innocent they have tried to have all her statements, her family statements, friends, forensic evidence, pictures or just about anything they can think of so a jury does not get the entire story. After all it’s a short story. If I remember Baez took over on July 16th, 2008 and before the bond hearing no more talk about ZFG. In the same time frame Cindy stopped using the name in interviews with the media and started the spinning of yarn. She kept up with the media on looking for Caylee but behind closed doors she started her Sherlock interpretation of deduction to blame several others as “key” suspects. It was just to obvious for her and the clues Casey was giving her through telepathy. When the tarot cards and horoscopes were not working she had Dominic C spending hundreds on the Psychic Hot Line so he could get “real” information.

• Venice
        Apr 26 2011

I agree 100% D. How come these people NEVER ask the tough questions???

• damagdpets
        Apr 26 2011

Venice, if they asked tough questions, Baez wouldn’t be there for an interview. Look what happened to Kathi B because she was persitant with an attitude that matched Mason….the defense didn’t like that.

• Apr 26 2011

Hi Damaged Pets…. Love your post! You nailed it; and your comment about the Psychic Hotline is PRICELESS!

• damagdpets
        Apr 26 2011

Andrea, Thanks…I have one more for you. After the news came out today denied, denied, denied, I could invision Casey in her cell sweating like a hooker on dollar night! Oh-Oh, I’m in trouble now….

• Apr 26 2011

LOL! I was also wondering how she must be taking this news, too… But, just not in the clever way you describe! Her case is done, it’s over, I don’t see a single way out for this defense team…. When a defense team does much to assist their client to be found guilty, it’s a sad day for our system of justice.

4. Apr 26 2011

I can understand photos coming in that are after the deed but the ones prior would be a testament to character and I don’t believe those will be coming in. These photos of her at the 4th of July party and at Fusian that are dated should come in as a consciousness of guilt evidence. Fits the rule perfectly.

HHJP may rule that George and Cindy’s testimony be taken first and then they can sit throughout the trial. otherwise, they must not be in at the trial until after their testimony. They already have changed their stories and contrived excuses for testimony they have heard and I think HHJP has noticed this.

• jon
      Apr 26 2011

I heard last night on Vinnie Politan that Cindy and George cannot be in the courtroom during each other’s testimony. Interesting ruling. Speaks to either what Judge Perry or the prosecution think about their influence on one another. I also hope that the Judge will rule on not allowing this mouthing between Casey and Cindy after Cindy comes down from the witness stand. It must have been crushing to George when Casey just looked down and began her chicken scratching on her pad as he left the stand during the pretrial stuff, esp. after she mouthed ” I love you” to Cindy. Speaks volumes as to where Casey is pinning her hopes during the trial testimony.

• Apr 26 2011

Hey Jon,
        It really does speak volumes. She WANTS Baez to throw her father under the bus – he had the audacity to doubt her innocence. The Queen Casey doesn’t like that kind of disloyalty among her subjects!

• damagdpets
      Apr 26 2011

C & G should be treated the same as other witnesses. I don’t know if they would be allowed in the courtroom after their testimony because they could be called back by either side later in the trial. They both have abused more rights than I have seen before. One other beef: This is a public trial; One seat per news agency instead of the 10-12 being asked for. As it is, InSession is supplying the camera feed to everyone. The majority of the seating should be given to the tax payers that are making the trial possible. They should be made to stand in line like the rest of the citizens, 1st come 1st served. Casey and her defense are getting approx. 1,000 times more in funds than any other indigent defendant in Florida. I wonder how many appeals will come from prisoners that did not get the same funds to defend their cases. There is a possibility this could happen and drag the justice system in Florida to a deeper hole than where they are now. JMOO

• Apr 26 2011

And also, I think that you are absolutely correct that other defendants will demand the same treatment as Casey Anthony. Once a precedent is set – like case law – it’s out there for other defendants to argue…. She should never have been given this special treatment.

• Apr 26 2011

I think you’re right about George and Cindy – it would be very improper for them to sit in the courtroom prior to their testimony. I believe this will be denied post haste!

5. kas
    Apr 26 2011

Sherry: Mason & Baez want the photos out because they both know they put the lie to Caseys’: “I was looking for my daughter 24/7, everywhere I could think of that Zanny had taken her…” bs. No. You were renting movies with your boyfriend. You were entering Hot Bodies Contest. You were, in fact, NOT looking for you child.

That is what those pictures prove. They are Conscience of Guilt, just not from the vantage point Mason is pretending to be coming from.

6. Rob
    Apr 26 2011

Andrea, the party photos will come in. What mother would be dancing, drinking and partying, if their baby girl was missing? If any mother or father could not find their child, that person would be consumed with feelings of pain, racing thoughts, anxiety, and fear. They would be a basket case until they found their child. Of course we are talking about normal individuals. A sociopath like Casey would do as she did. Dance the night away, and not give the child a second thought. Hopefully the jury will see how twisted Casey is.

• jon
      Apr 26 2011

Hey Rob: the impression I get from Casey in these photos is that she’s proclaiming: Free At Last, Free at Last, Thank God Almighty (you’ve heard the rest)..

7. CptKD

From WFTV:
    (With thanks)

Judge Belvin Perry DENIED the defense motions to disallow evidence involving the heart sticker, cadaver dog searches and alerts, and postmortem hair banding. The judge has yet to rule on air tests

• Apr 26 2011

OMG!!! This is great news!! Yay! I cant wait to read the rulings! I won’t be home for a while yet. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

8. Laurali
    Apr 26 2011

Hi Andrea, I am dropping off the three top AMW contestants from today here. Tomorrow I will check and see if the names are different. I am trying to figure out where Yuri is in the finals. I thought the names were different yesterday but I cannot be sure. 🙂 What I am trying to say is I think Yuri’s name is the only name that had stayed the same, but we need to be sure. Or I need to be sure. You can transfer this if you want.

Yesterday’s Top 3
    Carolyn Gudger
    Deputy/SRO
    Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office

Yuri Melich
    Detective
    Orange County Sheriff’s Office

Tommy Norman
    Police Officer
    North Little Rock Police Department

• Apr 26 2011

Wonderful Laurli!!! Thank you very much! I think you’re right that Yuri’s name has been their the entire time while other names dropped off – but I’m not sure… I will post it every day – We’ll have a ranking provided by Laurli in the main section of the blog… we’ll keep it going to see how it changes….
      Thank you again!

9. Laurali
    Apr 26 2011

LOL! Andrea you are so funny. I have so much on my plate I can’t remember 3 names from day to day. Some might blame it on age but I am sticking to my busy schedule excuse. 🙂 Thank you, I have really tried to figure it out daily but for the life of me can’t remember. This should be easier now I hope I remember to check.