May 3, 2011

in the company of idiots?

Mr. Cheney Mason called us “idiot bloggers” today on the show In Session.

In the case of the State v. Casey Anthony case, the evidence against her looms large.  Despite the fact that the trial is looming, Casey Anthony’s own attorneys are using television to their own promotional advantage. Of course, this is a ploy to taint as many jurors as possible, which will delay the trial, which will hamper the memory of critical witnesses.  This is an age-old defense ploy.  It just may work, too.

Mr. Mason once said this case will be “fun.”  Fun for him?  Isn’t that nice. I hope he’s having fun now as his legitimacy fades.

Mr. Mason hates the local media. He believes in Casey Anthony’s innocence.  He thinks she’s nice, and bright.   He is especially proud of his tutelage of Jose Baez.

In one of Hal Boedeker’s two Orlando Sentinel blog posts today, he quotes Mr. Mason during his appearance on the television show, In Session:

Mason said he saw it as his job in the Anthony case to help and defend unfairly attacked lawyers. “I didn’t even know Mr. Baez initially,” Mason said. “Over a period of time, he would sometimes call or visit to ask for some suggestions or some advice from an old guy. I was more than willing to do that. It was all private. It went on for a very long time.”

“Stupid is as stupid does.”

~ Forrest Gump

Idiot Bloggers

Mr. Mason has a problem with bloggers.  He refers to people who observe and write about the State v. Casey Anthony proceedings, as “idiot bloggers.”

Likewise, I have a problem with a disingenuous lawyer who also happen to be an out-right bully.

You may remember when WFTV’s Kathi Belich and her camera crew attempted to interview Attorney Cheney Mason leaving the Orlando Courthouse.  Mr. Mason spat out harsh and unprofessional epitaphs at Ms. Belich, “You are the stupidest reporter on the face of the earth,” he shouted, hiding his face with his oversized umbrella.

People who are presumably well educated, as I would think Mr. Cheney is, do not make such misogynist statements in public.  A gentleman would say to Ms. Belich, “I have no comment at this time?”   Not Mr. Cheney.  Oh no.  Despite his fancy duds and his facade as a fine southern gentleman, he is a grown up, bona fide, bully!

Adult Bullies – They Come in All Sizes

What is it that encourages an adult to engage in bullying behavior?   The reasons are varied, and will change from bully to bully.

One constant, however, is the bully feels he or she is in the minority and must therefore assert his or her superiority in an exaggerated way.

With the “idiot bloggers” statement, and the scenario with Ms. Belich, Mr. Mason displayed typical bullying behavior – belittle the object of your contempt until they retreat.  Bullying is the only way insecure individuals can feel safe and secure.  Insecure people don’t feel safe and often lash out to protect themselves.  They don’t believe they can succeed at things.  They rarely trust themselves or their instincts, and generally don’t believe in themselves.

They bully when they feel insecure, or threatened; they will often exaggerate their abilities; feign confidence, when in reality, their self esteem is very low.

There is no question that the Casey Anthony case has exacerbated the bullying behavior of Mr. Mason.  With a case that’s falling apart more and more each day, his instinct is to go on the offense, no doubt.

Mr. Masson says about Casey Anthony, “she’s a nice human being; I have grandchildren almost her age.”  It is important for an attorney to like his or her client, which goes without saying, and he must look past her deeds in order to try her case, that is understood.  However, I find this next statement very telling, and very reprehensible.  In discussing why people dislike Casey Anthony, he said:

…she is accused of killing her enormously cute little baby girl and people, who are unwilling to really believe in the presumption of innocence … are callous toward her, fed by the media day after day, don’t know her.

I would tell Mr. Mason that this idiot blogger does not have to believe in anyone’s innocence!  It is the jury, the Trier of Fact, who must look at Ms. Anthony as innocent until proven guilty.  But, I have absolutely no obligation to do the same, the  First Amendment assures me that promise.

I’m glad Mr. Cheney has “a very warm spot for” Casey Anthony.  Casey Anthony deserves attorneys who will believe in her, care about her, and fight to keep her off of death row.  I, however, have no obligation to believe any such fairy tale.

And I have an absolute right to tell you that my disgust is absolute.  The breed of defense attorney on this case makes my blood boil.  The law is the law, it’s not “Let’s Make a Media Deal”

The Media Has it Wrong On This One

I am likewise angry at certain media outlets who are thinking about making a buck off this case – raise the ratings, while a citizen is facing DEATH!

Where is the humanity in that?!

Casey Anthony is not a person I care one whit for, but I do not want her put to death.  Ironically, these pompous defense attorneys, if Casey is sentenced to death, will be to blame.  Try living with that Mr. Baez – will you still enjoy your visits with Geraldo then?

It was completely sickening that neither Mr. Baez or Cheney would stand up for their client yesterday, May 2nd, when the Media Attorney, Judith Mercier finished her babbling argument on behalf of the media.

The fact that both attorney’s sat there like bumps on a log, and SAID NOTHING until Judge Perry pressed Mr. Baez, was gross.

You know why they wanted to stay silent?  Despite what you may think, these two attorneys, Baez and Cheney are not stupid!  They know that an appeal would be a gift to them.  It would be precious to them!  They want this appeal – if they think we’re fooled, “they have another thing coming,” as my mom used to say!

“I am Mad as Hell and I Don’t Want to Take it Anymore!”

The last thing I want to rant about, leaving the worst for last, is a statement that Mr. Mason made that is foul, insensitive, and completely uncouth.

Does it make people prejudiced against her? Yes. If the child were unlawfully killed, then the crime ended when she was killed. The next day, the next week, the next month really is kind of irrelevant to what happened.

If the child were unlawfully killed, he says, the time is kind of irrelevant

Idiots. Total Idiots.

The two Boedeker Posts:

Cheney Mason wanted to help Jose Baez

Casey Anthony: ‘Very likeable and very bright,’ Cheney Mason says

1. Laurali
    May 3 2011

Hi Andrea! First let me say I would rather be called an idiot than a baby killer. Second had Casey not lied every time she opened her mouth no one would have even noticed her. The liars and schemers made this into what it is. Mason believes Casey is innocent like we all do. (cough) They should have plead a year or two ago. Now who is the idiot?

• May 3 2011

Exactly, Laurali! And, how about that interview Cheney Mason did about Casey’s guilt???? Hmmm. Who’s the idiot?

• May 4 2011

Well, we aren’t idiots-we’re blidiots=blog idiots. :mrgreen:

~Many thanks to Dave Knechel who coined that term.

2. CptKD
    May 4 2011

Thank you so very very much. For putting to words every single thought, and feeling that this total farce has brought to me today. I dont know anymore whether I am angry, sad, numb or just too fed up to really decipher any of it anymore… Thank you Andrea! For saying all that I am thinking but am too ENRAGED to express with such tact, grace and eloquence. Those two idiots have another thing coming. Karma SHALL spin, and suprise such FOOLS!

Payday is someday!

• May 4 2011

Well, thank you, CptKD! I sure feel your frustration! I am really sad and frustrated over all this nonsense. Judge Perry is an amazing Judge, and if anyone can make this trial happen, and jury selection to occur, it’s him.

I can barely contain myself in anticipation for Friday! Saying a prayer, or three!

3. May 4 2011

Hi Andrea, Well as usual Mason is talking like the fool i know he is. First he says he does not care what us blogger’s have to say, then in the next sentence he says, he looks forward to what us blogger’s think about what he said. I say, pick one side you fool. I also say, shouldn’t he be spending every waking minute he can thinking up schemes to try and get his client off verses doing in sessions and reading what us idiot blogger’s as he calls us are saying. I have always heard this saying ”There is no fool like and old fool”, well that would be Mason. After this case is over he best just ride off in to the nearest nursing home, that is if he has the sense of direction to find one.

4. May 4 2011

Andrea, i loved your article. Your so right. Mason is indeed a bully and so is Baez. They both try to embarrass and to bully Kathi Belich all the time but she is not one they can bully and that makes them madder than ever. I love Kathy B. She rocks it right back to their doorstep everytime.

• May 4 2011

Hi Knight Owl! It’s nice to see that pretty kitty of yours, and to chat with you!

Cheney Mason has ZERO credibility in my view. How can someone who went on camera and threw both Baez and the defendant right under the bus, now claim “innocence?” In the video (which I posted), he says Casey should get life.

With he and Baez representing her, she’s likely to see the death penalty, unfortunately.

These two lawyers are an abomination.

5. May 4 2011

The only reason Mason likes Casey now is because she is coming on to him for her own reasons and we all know what they are, but fool Mason is too dumb to even see that. He likes a baby killer and he knows fool well she is one , so what does that say for him?

• May 4 2011

If he doesn’t know she murdered her toddler than he can easily be manipulated! He even became friends with Baez! He likes ’em dirty players.

6. May 4 2011

Hi Laurilei and CaptKD.

• May 4 2011

Hi, Louie and Knight Owl!

• CptKD

Hey there, Night Owl!
      I see you were up late last evening… LOL!
      You nic-name is definately ‘fitting’!

PS – The kitty displayed as your gravatar is absolutely adorable!

7. May 4 2011

Just want to say that bullies can have a high self esteem, or high estimation of themselves and will lash back at those who do not treat them as they feel they deserve. I feel that is what it is with Mason because he seems quite arrogant. He thinks he deserves reporters asking him “proper” questions, not what he deems are stupid ones.

In the beginning of this case, Mason was giving Baez advice/criticism through the media. He has a short memory or he is counting on us idiot bloggers not to recall such indiscretions. Maybe that is why he resorts to petty name-calling at his age-because bloggers have ways of recalling things that his ol’ mind forgot.

• May 4 2011

hey Sherry! You are absolutely right – they can have overblown ego’s (they usually feign bluster about themselves and their abilities) and a great deal of arrogance. There are many variations of personality characteristics in bullies – they come in so many shapes and sizes!

8. May 4 2011

One more thing about bullies:
    They have an inordinate need to cut others down to lift themselves up. Its the only way they know how to make themselves look good in front of others or to make themselves feel better about themselves.

9. May 4 2011

BTW, Great post!
    Andrea sez:
    ~When Mason was asked about the “31 days” he said that will be answered during the trial, but went on to say the following:

If the child were unlawfully killed, he says, really is kind of irrelevant…

I would ask you, what kind of person – what kind of lawyer would be so callous as to refer to the child victim in this case in that way?~

I think he meant the 31 days was irrelevent, not the murder of Caylee. I still consider that a stupid statement and Mason would have us believe that amount of time that went by without reporting Caylee “missing” doesn’t mean that Casey murdered her.

• CptKD

I agree, Sherry –

Great post, Andrea!

Thanks, Cap! 🙂

• May 4 2011

LOL…Yeah, he meant the 31 days. What really affected me was the wording he used to describe the death. I found it repugnant and totally insensitive, but he needs to ‘splain away those 31 days, somehow. You’re right, they will argue that because she’s so callous not to care about her child missing, doesn’t make her a murderer. They may use that argument in the penalty phase to avoid the death sentence…..but, it will not produce any luck for them, in my humble opinion….. Sheet! There’s a murdered child, whose mother conveniently makes up stories about the child’s whereabouts – telling a different tale to whom ever she’s talking to… and then it’s learn she’d been partying for 31 days… if the jurors have a head and a heart that work in unison, and they have an IQ above 75, they will figure this out…. 🙂

10. Linda
    May 4 2011

Hello Andrea….I seen Mason on insession today and he is NUTS to even try to say to a jury hey, the baby died….it was a accident, so our client just went on with her life. I just pray that one person on the jury has either lost a child or a young sibling, for I am sure their wife or thier mom didn’t go out to party. Many years ago when I was a teenager I lost a little brother to a terrible accident, my mom had to be drugged just to make it thru the wake and funeral….. I married had two sons and became a overbearing and protective mom, I had to know where they were all the time…..the reason I did this is because the pain that I seen in my mother eyes still haunts me today….. Don’t know if you caught it but Mason said it would come out at trial if it makes it that far……

• May 4 2011

Hi Linda, I am sorry you and your family suffered such a tremendous loss….Your poor mom….. there is nothing in the world as horrible as that. Nothing. I can certainly understand your protectiveness… the good thing, though, is that you realize it and you’re honest about it. Because we live in a violent world, I’m sure your children grew up to appreciate it, just as you appreciate what your mother went through.

A friend of mine lost a child nearly 40 years ago – crib death – and she cries to this day when she thinks of the baby.

The emotions that any conscientious and loving parent would feel, will be incredibly important to the jurors. Even if some in the jury do not have children, they will be able to put themselves in the shoes of a parent because we were all children once and most of us have nieces or nephews, or have friends with children.

No matter how hard they try to pick non parents, if a juror has any semblance of sensitivity, the truth will not be lost on them.

The defense, by the way, would never want you on the jury given what you experienced. The prosecution would love to have you, of course.

11. May 4 2011

IMO that is why she broke down crying. When her attornies didn’t speak up and JP basically forced Baez to speak and then laid out the scenario that SHOULD happen with competent attorneys. She knew her chances of winning on appeal were null with Perry.

• May 4 2011

It’s another Andrea!!! Yay! so glad you stopped in to share your thoughts!
      And, I bet you’re right that her very own attorneys had nothing to say, until pressed. I wonder if she quasi-cried as a result of thinking that the judge was thinking of her well being? I think she feels sorry for herself, if that makes sense!

12. Diana
    May 4 2011

I wish someone would play the video to Mason on his next BS session of him saying she should just take a plea and avoid the circus atmosphere (that he is now part of).

I thought he was a top notch attorney before he horned in on this case. I was mistaken.

• May 4 2011

Hey Diana! How are ya?! I sure wish someone would play that, too, and ask his sorry self to ‘splain that!

I thought he was good too, Diana, until he opened his mouth!

13. Hilde
    May 4 2011

All I have to say to Mason’s Statement about Bloggers being Idiots “It takes One to THINK You know One!”

14. Laurali
    May 4 2011

IMO those 31 days a crime was being committed. Abuse of a corpse. It is NEVER okay to duct tape, triple bag and then throw a 2 year old in a swampy area to be ripped apart by animals. But hey that is jmo, what the heck do I know. I am an idiot. :/

15. Venice
    May 4 2011

Mason states….”I like to fight the Government”. “I like to expose hypocrites and liars”. Is that supposed to help his reputation? LOL.

• May 4 2011

That statement reminds me of the old saying~
      “If you point the finger at someone be mindful that three fingers are pointing back at you.”

He needs only look in the mirror to see the hypocrit and liar he needs to fight. He lied about giving Baez advice in the beginning behind closed doors-he did it on a news media forum and it was to criticize Baez’ handlking of the case. 😕

• Venice
        May 4 2011

Exactly. Mason likes to expose liars?? Well, then, Casey is the client for him! LOL!

• kas
      May 4 2011

He really sees himself as quite the White Hat, no? Him against THE MAN. Little Casey against THE MACHINE.

Gotta love any man that uses his wife (who seemed nice enough) as an obvious means to humanize himself with Jurors.

• May 4 2011

Here’s the famous “prediction” from Mr. Mason.

16. Enough Already

Cheney, Cheney,
    Give me your answer, do.
    Your client’s half-crazy,
    Not pure as the morning dew.
    It won’t be a pretty trial –
    Admit it – you’re in denial.
    But she’ll look sweet upon the seat
    Of Big Bertha when the appeals are through.

Hey Enough Already!!!!!!

LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing your talent! LOL, Big Bertha! Very clever. 🙂

17. jon
    May 4 2011

Hi Andrea: I hope Eggy at Eggtree news is watching this; she should have a ball with this one. I’ll alert her just in case.

Mason is calling us idiots? Look who he’s working side-by-side with in this case! geez…………….

• May 4 2011

OMG, Jon! That’s so true….She would have a field day with this one!
      Glad you’re alerting her… I love her posts – talk about talent, it oozes from her pores. 🙂

18. offthecuff
    May 4 2011

I don’t like it, but I understand that a defense lawyer has to lie and bluff, whatever it takes to get his client off.

But what I don’t understand is why they (Casey, the Anthonys, and the defense team) aren’t screaming for justice for Caylee as to who really did it, if they indeed are going with Casey’s innocence.

Where is Caylee in all of this mess? I’ve heard quotes in which the Anthonys have stated Caylee is dead, so they have to focus on Casey now. But where is their sense of justice for Caylee? Why isn’t Casey writing and rewriting that question on her notepad for her lawyers?

Why haven’t they been torn asunder looking for some murderous villain of their only grandchild?

Hey OfftheCuff.

You hit upon the hypocrisy of the family and the attorneys. And, you’re absolutely correct – “if” she’s innocent (they love to bandy that word around), then who’s looking for the killer? Why aren’t they screaming for justice? ohhhhh, I almost forgot, GEORGE did it! You remember, right? George is the villain.

19. May 4 2011

Dr. Glass has a post up!

An exerpt:

“When people name call it is usually because people have no other words to use in a loosing battle. It clearly reflects their frustration. They have nothing intelligent or significant to say, so like an immature child they retort by name calling .

Cheney states “ I don’t care what the prognosticators and the idiot bloggers have to say or what the idiot bloggers will say about this.”

Why would a professional attorney call anyone an idiot unless they were so threatened by what the blogger had to say? Maybe Cheney lashed out because so much of what was said in the blogs hit him too close to home.”

• May 4 2011

Thanks Sherry! I read her post – I concur, of course. However, I believe its a bit presumptuous of her to imagine that Mr. Mason is reacting or referring to her. He certainly may be… but, who knows.

• May 4 2011

Yes, that was a bit presumptuous! I saw another blog make the same presumption. Mason didn’t refer to any one blog and i believe he means all of those he reads.

20. Mindy

Very nicely said!!!

21. GasCanGeorge
    May 4 2011

All due respect. There are a lot of ” Idiot Bloggers” full of hate, who probably have issues due to them being bullied most of their young lives and deem it important to spew that same kind of hate on blogs, kind of makes them feel better……But most have good comments and can conduct themselves in a civil manner,,,,,,MOST …But I can understand the inmaturity that reeks on a daily basis concerning this case. HE’s right!

hey GasCanGeorge.

Well, the ole’ saying that we heard as kids should be repeated here: 2 wrongs don’t give him a right to demean others. Who is he to belittle people? He’s supposed to be a professional.

I expected (and expect) him to save Casey from the death penalty – but instead he’s just calling attention to his own immaturity. He’s 67 years old, and he’s still acting like a school boy in the yard who got his baseball stolen and blames everyone!

He’s old enough to have grown a backbone by now. We have gotten under his skin and he doesn’t like it one bit. Well, too bad!

And, I appreciate what you’re saying about the mean whacko bloggers who spew hate. The only way to deal with them is to ignore them. Plus, Mr. Mason IS NOT talking about them. He’s talking about people who write intelligently about the case – those are the people he has issue with.

22. GasCanGeorge

Off the cuff,
    You certainly have some valid questions, probably the same questions a lot of ppl have, among 100’s of other questions. But how do we know yet what she has said or asked? We havent heard anything from her, just her mother and father talking for her since day one! And this is going to take center stage in this trial, sit back and watch…..I wont sleep until they’re all behind bars as they all played some roll in Caylee’s demise IMO……..BUTTT,,,,,,,what roll did Casey play? That is the question…

23. GasCanGeorge

Andrea,
    I hear ya there.

24. Laurali
    May 4 2011

I read Casey’s statement and it was riddled with lies. Went to work, dropped off baby. Went back after work, baby gone. Paced went some where safe. Decided to check for baby at blockbuster. No luck, try fusion no luck. No luck at target. Nope. Darn try tattoo shop. I have heard enough from Casey to make an intelligent observation. She had no concern for her missing baby. And last but not least baby not in boyfriends bed either.

Gascangeorge I respect your opinion also but if Casey were truly innocent someone would be looking for the real killer. Instead her and her family have changed their story many times to point the blame at someone other than Casey. The reason they do that is because everything points to one person, Casey. If someone else had been locked up for this crime you can bet your behind no one in the family would be defending duct tape on a toddlers skull. An accident?

25. Miss Tam
    May 5 2011

What does everyone think is going to come out in trial? Mr. Mason made mention something of the effect of you will hear some very crude and disturbing things that went on in the Anthony home . What do you all think they are up to? I also like when he said he can’t wait to get people on the stand to out them from their lies and reviel them. I’m not sure if he’s aware he is sitting right beside the biggest liar in that state right now.

• May 5 2011

Hi miss tam! I didn’t realize he made those comments! Terrible! Is it possible for you to post a link here? Or, were those comments made on the In Session show? Thank you in advance to you, or anyone who is aware of these troubling comments. I wonder of the Anthonys know they will be disgraced like that? Perhaps that’s why they want to visit Casey – talk her out of attacking them?

• Miss Tam
        May 6 2011

Andrea Thank you for your comments. When in session did an interview with Mr. Mason he was the one that said it I’m sure in session probably has it on their website. I wish I could remember exactly how he worded it but it sounded like it would be discusting whatever it is. Thanks again Miss Tam

• May 5 2011

Hi, Miss Tam~

I get the uneasy feeling that George will be tossed under the bus.

• Miss Tam
        May 6 2011

I do as well if this is any indication she said she will meet with her mom but not her dad interesting.

26. May 5 2011

Great article, Andrea. I find it odd that Mr. Mason would disparage the media when he knows how to use us. I also find him to be hypocritical. He used a blogger to his advantage and he has the audacity to call us idiots? Huh? Bloggers aren’t idiots when he wants to use them to his advantage. Then, they serve a purpose. I hope he finds us intimidating.

Thanks!

• May 5 2011

Hey, MD! You are intimidating to more than just him, LOL! :mrgreen:

27. May 5 2011

Dave,
    Thank you so much…Darn though, I am kicking myself for not remembering to add to this post my thoughts about the dirty tricks they used with you and with the wonderful Judge Stan Strickland….
    Mr. Mason is very hypocritical… I find it baffling that he could once say she will probably get life, etc., and later pontificate about how lovely and bright she is – gag – and that he personally supports her innocence. Another blogger (I can’t remember who), pointed out recently that he cleverly says “personally” versus her innocence according to the law, according to the evidence.
    They made this mess with their inane comments in the media from the very beginning. When you have no case, use the media to divert attention and taint prospective jurors. Convenient? Maybe so, but they could take over every TV station known to man and their client will still be responsible for the death of her blessed little baby.
    ohhhh, it makes me mad as wet hen! Can ya tell? LOL
    Thanks again, Dave – you are doing a FANTASTIC job on the Orlando Magazine – I am thrilled for you, buddy.

Sent from my iPhone

28. May 5 2011

Well, I just watched ol’ Mason’s interview where he makes the “idiot bloggers” comment. I got a strong sense that he would like to take away the free press and freedom of speech rights when it suits him! 🙄

• May 5 2011

You will find the other parts of the interview if you go to You Tube from the above video. Kudos to nan11 at mainstreamfair for digging them up and posting them there in the news nook.

• May 5 2011

Hey Sherry! Thanks a bunch. And mucho thanks also to Nan11, too!

Sent from my iPhone

• May 5 2011

I am not a fan of his new hair color either.

29. cali patti
    May 5 2011

Feels sort of good to be an idiot blogger.

• May 5 2011

Cali Patti! You said it, my dear!

30. Miss Tam
    May 6 2011

I do enjoy reading all your comments I just ran across your blogs couple days back. Thanks for letting me post on your blog!!!!!!

• May 7 2011

Hi Miss Tam! Thanks goes to you for posting here! So glad you’re joining us. 🙂

31. Miss Tam
    May 9 2011

ok lets get this show on the road. I am waiting for the good stuff to start. This part however important is BORING!

32. Miss Tam
    May 10 2011

Is it just me or does anyone agree I think Mr. Mason must enjoy hearing himself talk. He is driving me crazy with the time he is wasting with some of his questions to the jurors. If they cannot serve they cannot serve get on with it.

33. Jun 28 2011