May 18, 2011

Day 9 – something big is afoot

Today, on the ninth day of jury selection in the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony, Judge Belvin Perry advised that 200 potential jurors had been questioned and 15 more are waiting in the wings to be auditioned.  He then opined that the courtroom facilities in Clearwater will only be available to the Court until Thursday (tomorrow), which obviously would be problematic.

Then later, Judge Perry advised that the Chief Judge in Clearwater made arrangements to accommodate them until Saturday.  And later, Judge Perry told the Attorneys that regardless of how long it takes them to select the remaining jurors, opening statements will happen on Monday, back in Orlando!

As it stands currently only 11 prospective jurors have been chosen. Judge Perry needs 12 sworn and seated along with a handful of alternates to begin the trial on Monday morning.

Number 11 – one more, and it’s an end game.

Something’s Afoot!

Today, suddenly, after questioning a prospective juror, the lawyers went to a long, long sidebar, after which lunch recess was called.  After lunch, the lawyers returned, with the exception of Jose Baez, and Judge Perry abruptly adjourned the proceedings for the day – resuming at 8:30 A.M. tomorrow morning.

No one is quite sure what caused the sudden end of court today. Why was Jose Baez was not present in the courtroom after lunch?  Is he ill and Casey didn’t want to resume without him?  If that were true, why not discuss or admit it?  This shouldn’t cause adjournment of the day in court, as they previously discussed going until 8:00 p.m. this evening.

There are many and various speculations as to why the court adjourned early – the most reasonable explanation?  A plea has been offered and is being considered.  Casey Anthony was teary eyed while all of this was occurring – does she have until the morning to consider a deal, or is a deal already worked out?

The question looming is this:  If the twelfth juror is agreed upon, and the Judge swears them in, does the opportunity for plea deals end?  I believe that is the case, but I am not 100 percent sure.

News outlets and talking heads are wondering, was Baez fired by Casey?  Did Jose Baez fall ill?  Was there an unfortunate situation pertaining to his family (we would hope this in not the case, of course)?

I truly believe that a deal is in the works – the signs and signals point to a deal.

All the sidebars today, the extended recesses, the lawyers going into the holding area to talk with Casey, the long lunch without Jose Baez’ presence? Something is definitely afoot.

My hunch?  Jose Baez needed the remaining time this afternoon to compose an answer to the State with regards to an offer.  I truly think this is end game.  If I’m wrong, I’ll write: Duh!  a thousand times in tomorrows post….

Is this really the end-game?

Casey is seeing the writing on the wall.  She is too narcissistic to gamble with her life.

Could this be why George and Cindy moved NOW to trademark Caylee’s name and the phrase “Justice for Caylee?”

Will this be “Justice for Caylee?”

1. br
    May 18 2011

nahh I think it was a true personal issue and we will resume tomorrow as normal

• May 18 2011

So, I may be writing “duh” in my next post a thousand times!!! LOL!

• May 19 2011

I hope you know how to spell it! lol

Say that word a thousand times real fast… :mrgreen:

• May 19 2011

…almost sounds like a purring cat, eh? >^.^<

• May 19 2011

LOL! Oh, yeah, let’s see how it looks spelled out 1000 times…. grrrr! I think the situation was just as I originally thought: Baez was sick…. well, why the heck didn’t he say so?! I’ll tell ya why – he WANTED to make a big deal – he loves the attention. Grrrr.

2. Amanda
    May 18 2011

I think you are right, a plea deal has been offered. I figured it would come down to this after hearing the rumors about her admitting to “accidentally” killing Caylee and then being afraid to tell her parents. I thought it would be a terrible waste of the tax payers money to go forward with a trial. We shall see.

• May 18 2011

Hey there, Mandy…. Yup… we both could be wrong, but I really think it’s gonna be a deal… We’ll see! I kind of want to be wrong – I do want to see this trial unfold…. 🙂

• May 19 2011

After waiting nearly three years and Inmate Anthony would pull a stunt like this on us-she’s so spiteful! 😡

3. brandon bob
    May 18 2011

baez has a young child and any number of reasons would warrant the need for a private personal reason to leave and without him the case CAN NOT continue without Casey’s approval. Anything other than what Baez said would not fit because they would have stated it in open court. all will resume tomorrow at 830 am

• May 18 2011

Hey Brandon bob… that’s true – Casey may not want to continue w/out Baez today, but why the half hour long side-bar? Why the discussion with her in the holding area? Why the visits with the judge, with the court reporter, in the inner chambers? I truly think that something is up, and this time it may be a deal that has a deadline of tomorrow morning…. before they get to 12 jurors…..
      Then again, I may be writing “duh” a thousand times tomorrow night.

• brandon bob
        May 19 2011

all of that can be easily explained and will know for sure in 15 minutes but here it goes….

1) half hour long side bar had to do with the juror on the stand who heard the argument in the court room before he testified. the state couldn’t stand him for many reasons including his responding to questions with questions. For example when they state asked him why he wanted to be a juror he replied. why not? lol They were trying to get him excused for cause in that long side bar.

2)discussion in holding area was simply to advise her what happened to Baez and ask her if she would be willing to continue without him.

3) visits with judge with court reporter also to deal with Baez personal situation.

Hate to say it but you’ll be saying duh in a few minutes when we resume :-p

• May 19 2011

Lol! You may be right! Will u let me know??? I’m out of pocket.

Sent from my iPhone

• brandon bob
        May 19 2011

we are probably losing 4 jurors for cause becuase they wont be paid for jury duty. baez is in the court room. we are starting day 10 of questioning as normal so yupe you gona be saying “duh” lol. ill let you know once i know if we lost 4 that were already in or 4 that had not been questioned but 4 are gone for sure just not sure which 4 yet

• May 19 2011

Oh boy!!!! I’ll be a duh-ing tonight! Jeez!

Thanks for keeping me informed!!

Sent from my iPhone

• brandon bob
        May 19 2011

the 4 excused were from the 15 that had not been questioned yet on general, pretrial and death penalty. so there are only 11 left to be questioned.

• brandon bob

andrea-

I have a tip for you, download the “puffin” browser from the app store. I use it on iPad and it will let you view flash content like the trial feed. It is cheap and I am 1000% positive there is one for the iPhone as well! 🙂

• May 19 2011

Hey Brandon…. I did it and it does work, to an extent…. it’s really slow on my iPhone when I tried to play the live feed from the WFTV site. But, CNN plays alright, though it’s not always available…. Any way, I like Puffin!
        thanks a bunch brandon!

• brandon bob
        May 19 2011

yea does that to me too on ipad but better than nothing 🙂 but i found the audio is steady just the video is choppy. if you find a website on puffin that is better let me know because i was using wftv also

• brandon bob
        May 19 2011

do you know if they used any strikes i was at work and couldnt watch for good portion of day??

Hi Brandon!

snipped from Orlando Sentinel:

“The state still has three strikes remaining and the defense one, meaning that even the existing prospective panel could change.”

“When the court picks back up on proceedings Friday morning, they’ll have 11 prospective jurors to question. ”

• brandon bob
        May 19 2011

Thanks, ill read that. sorry for my duplicate post as I also posted this same question on another page of your website. oopsie 😐 thanks for your info 🙂

• Brandon bob
        May 19 2011

lets not forget that the judge has the right to issue more challenges as well in addition to any that might be excused for cause

4. damagdpets
    May 18 2011

I don’t think it’s a plea deal. The defense has played this out for 3 years now and I just don’t see them giving in without taking a chance at trial. It seems that Baez had a personal emergency and had to leave court. It was interesting to see Casey wiping at tears when court was adjourned. I guess we will see at 8:30 tomorrow for the next episode of “The Stomach Turns.”
    Mean while back at the ranch…..George & Cindy would really get screwed if there was no trial. I think their plan was for one to be in the court room and the other outside selling hot dogs and T-shirts.

• May 18 2011

Hey damagedpets…. You could be right, too. But, I do think that Casey has been spooked by all the potential jurors looking at her and saying “guilty” over and over. They could have continued questioning the potential jurors without Baez, too.

I would be surprised if it’s not some kind of a deal….

• May 19 2011

Oh my! You gave me a vision of Cindy overturning the vendors’ tables for making merchandise of her soon to be trademarked “Justice for Caylee” slogans on tees! 😯

5. Weezie
    May 18 2011

D.Pets. You said it. G&C are really panicking about their financial quest.

In my opinion, unless the bad words between Casey and Baez were not cleared up, and the course of the trial was going to be like it has been for the last week, something is truly amuk. Casey plays to the cameras, just like Oprah, so nothing should surprise any of us about whiping the tears shot. Baez knows the law and surely has his own attorney to represent him, so I don’t think he would resign without good cause. It’s a loose loose case, no matter how you look at it. We are all waiting for Life Wyithout Parole against Death? That’s not even a fair trial. I’m not a Casey sympathizer but really, we shouldn’t be like India where the stoning begins without a FAIR TRIAL.

• May 18 2011

Hi Weezie, that’s very true – she does deserve a fair trial!
      And, Baez could not resign from the case without the Judge agreeing in open court – there would be a motion with regards to any resignation, too.
      The State may have given her a sweetheart deal of a chance for parole… If that’s the case, she may take it. Rolling the dice for a trial is risky given the sentiment about the crime….

I can’t wait to hear! I’ll be teaching in the morning and won’t know…. will someone let me know? Thanks!

6. May 19 2011

I have a question about this trademark for Justice for Caylee.

Ummm I have a website set up for her http://justiceforcaylee.synthasite.com/

Will I have to take that down or change the name if they get the right to do that? I also have a blog, “Justice for Caylee” Had it for the three years. I just don’t wanna get sued because that is how the Anthony’s are.

Thanks if you know the answer.

• May 19 2011

Not yet Shyloh. Did u register and purchase that domain? If so, they may have to purchase it from u and u could charge them a bundle. If u don’t own it and they get the trademark then you’d probably need to Change it. 😦

Sent from my iPhone

• May 19 2011

Thank you honey for the answer. Guess I better keep and eye open for this one. I didn’t think one could trademark a “name” But we shall see.

• damagdpets
      May 19 2011

Shyloh, It seems to me that you would have to get a cease and desist communication from the Anthony’s attorney to stop. If it is a WordPress blog there is not much chance of keeping the same name. Hang in there until they get a hold of you…..

• May 19 2011

It is a free website. But I do have a choice in buying it. And I have thought about that, but didn’t think it would matter. I don’t believe I can change the name of the site once it’s set. If buying it or just using the free service.
        Thank you!!!

7. terrr
    May 19 2011

Just like when Casey took the detectives to the end of the hallway at universal before she caved in, i believe she realizes she is at the end of another hallway. She took this as far as she could and now she is ready to cave. Plea deal in the works IMO.

8. CptKD

Well, Andrea –

Looks like it’s back to business in court this morning.

They’ve jumped right in, and have started Jury selection once more…

Looks like we’ll never know what that abrupt ending was all about – It’s NOT a plea deal, that’s for sure!

I don’t know, but it’s looking like “DUH”, will have to be the title of your next post – LOL!

9. CptKD

By the way –

Jose looks just fine!

Smirking and smiling with those big, white teeth lunging out of his ‘potato head’… LOL!

10. CptKD

We now have 12 Jurors…

Not sworn in yet, but the count has reached 12!
    FINALLY!

I guess the search for Alternates will now begin.

Currently on 5 min ‘comfort’ break, and then it’s back to business…

Still no word or sign on what the STOP from proceeding yesterday afternoon was all about?

11. CptKD

6 Men
    6 Women
    ———
    12 Jurors / Not sworn in as of yet!

State has 3 Strikes left
    Defence has 1 Strike left

Each side will be given 1 more ‘Strike’ when deciding on potential ALTERNATES!

• CptKD
      May 19 2011

1o left in the Jury pool, and 1 is currently being questioned by Baez…

12. CptKD

FYI –
    Finally got to 15!

Def – 1 Strike
    Pro – 3 Strikes

HHJP would like to swear in the Jury tomorrow, Friday afternoon, and have them brought to Orlando on Sunday!

13. CptKD

We are now at ” 16 ” !

9 Women
    7 Men
    ————
    16 Jurors

Strikes still available on both sides.
    Same as above for the 12 Jurors,
    along with 1 Strike each for the Alternates!

• May 19 2011

Hey CptKD! THANK YOU so much for updating me throughout the day! I was not able to see any of it, but now I know today is my day to say….. duh!

Well, at least there are now 16 potentials! That’s awesome…. Let’s just hope this show goes on the road and opens in Orlando on Monday! 🙂

Thank you again so much!