June 16, 2011

well, it was a non-evidence kind of day

My parents always told me that it is fruitless to try to prove a negative since it generally returns results that are negative.

Mr. Jose Baez, apparently, was never schooled in this idea.

The purpose of highlighting non evidence?  Mr. Baez is banking on a single juror to be stupid enough to think such a lack of evidence is evidence of something.  What non evidence is evidence of, is anyone’s guess.

Oh, but Mr. Baez will blow smoke in the air and try and try and try some more to create “non evidence “smokescreens for the jury.

We know this after today’s monotonous, confounding and completely wasteful day of testimony, there was no attempt to lay the ground work regarding their theory of drowning.  And, we now know that Mr. Baez agrees that a body decomposed in the trunk of the car since he was asking his own witnesses about such evidence!

Therefore, today was about as wasteful for the defense as the trash that Mr. Beaz spent so much time talking about.

Why?

Because the result of today’s testimony advised the jury that not a single drop of blood was discovered by FBI, DNA Expert Heather Seubert, when she examined articles from the crime scene and from the trunk of the car driven by Casey Anthony.

We know that DNA cannot survive over a period of six months in wet, hot, and volatile environments.  Furthermore, it has been proved, both today, and in the State’s case, that DNA does not survive during the decomposition process.  Nor does blood, apparently.

And yet, Mr. Jose Baez asked and asked and asked and asked this witness, did you find blood to test?   No.  No. No. No. Mr. Baez, that answer will be, grrrrr, NO!

And, why does the defense focus on blood, or the lack thereof, if the defense contends Caylee drowned?

It is possible that the defense is trying to show that the amount of non-evidence exceeds the actual evidence?

Does the lack of evidence – or rather, of NOT finding evidence where we would not expect to find evidence anyway, prove anything?  Does this prove Caylee Marie Anthony was not drugged and suffocated?

No. Not in the least.

When Ms. Welch, who also testified in the State’s case and called today by the defense, was asked again and again and again and again and AGAIN, if items pictured as “trash” were ever sent to the FBI to be tested for anything.   The witness and the jury saw pictures of beer bottles, soda bottles, and a plethora of miscellaneous items one would find in a garbage dump.  And over and over, Mr. Baez asked – were these items tested for anything?  “Not that I recall,” said Ms. Welch, repeatedly.

When it was Ms. Burdick’s turn to cross examine Ms. Welch, she asked one simple, singular question that brought everything home and into focus for the jury:

Ms. Burdick: Ms. Welch, is it fair to call the area where Caylee Marie Anthony’s remains were found, as a trash dump?

Ms. Welch: Yes, I would characterize it that way.

And so, today of all days – exactly three years from the very date that  Caylee Marie Anthony was murdered – Ms. Burdick pointed out that Caylee was treated as trash.

This small moment in time brought home the injustice that Caylee suffered.

May the Heavens continue to bless the little angel, Caylee Marie.

1. Jun 16 2011

Yes, Baez, it was the trash that smelled so bad in the trunk-and that trash was a deceased Caylee.

I heard that it was HHJP that was the prosecutor against Vasco Thompson-I think HHJP might raise an eyebrow about the fishing expedition of Baez’ PI.

2. Jun 16 2011

Hi Andrea, excellent post. Great title too. Baez just beats the bush to death and never makes a lick of sense. His harping on Lee being tested to see if he was the Father of Caylee is another perfect example. His going over and over about was there any blood was the craziest today as how would there be blood like you said if you drown in a pool? No where in his theatrical ludicrous opening statement did i hear him say Caylee was bleeding while she was drowning in the pool. I was just thinking how tiring it would be to be a judge and prosecutor’s in the first place, then to get a wet behind the ears bafoon like Baez to drive you nuts and if that wouldn’t be bad enough the add on of Masoon would just about take you over the ledge. I know Ms. Burdick, Mr.Ashton and Mr. George will be thrilled when this case is over as they have been tortured enough by Baez and Mason.

3. Jun 16 2011

Hi Sherry, Louie and I are waving at you~~ oh my gosh, if Judge perry was the prosecutor for Thompson that will be a bombshell. Wow, i hope he was.

• Jun 17 2011

Hi, Louie and knight owl! ❤

• Jun 17 2011

Hi, Louie and knight owl! ❤

4. Jun 16 2011

Andrea, I was traveling today and saw only the first 45 minutes of court. I appreciate your summary of today’s proceedings which is the first account of the day I have heard other than some HLN fodder and you summed it up nicely….Poor little Caylee, she was discarded with the trash. I’m grateful there are advocates for Caylee. Most especially today, that is Linda Drane Burdick for so simply reminding the jury of little Caylee’s final reality. :`(

• Jun 17 2011

Hi, katfish! You have seen your share of trials so I will look forward to your assessment of this trial, especially through the defense side. Surely, you could not have ever witnessed anything like this~

• Jun 17 2011

Hi Katfish! I agree with you that HLN can get rather obnoxious at times! I have trouble listening to all the yelling and the Bombshells!
      It was uncanny that the start of the defense case came on the anniversary of dear little Caylee Marie’s death…. thank heaven for Linda Drane Burdick, and Jeff Ashton – the with his wonderful passion! And, thank heaven for Roy Kronk, too, while I’m at it. LOL!

By the way Katfish – I really enjoy your blog. I love how you cover so many important cases. It’s wonderful. :). http://katfishponders.blogspot.com/

5. Jun 16 2011

When is Baez and Mason ever gonna get smart enough to tell her heiney Casey to stop acting like a member of the team and act like a felon she is instead?

6. Kat
    Jun 17 2011

Do you wonder why Jose asked the same question over, and over, and over and over?
    Reminds me of how many times he had to take the bar exam in order to pass. He took it over, and over, and over, for a total of 8 times! He is not a quick study, and he thinks the jurors are are slow. I just don’t see how anyone could find him credible.

• Jun 17 2011

Thanks for the explanation, Kat! Now it makes sense! 😆

• Jun 17 2011

Kat! Absolutely! Baez does lack the ability to put coherent sentences together, so he asks the same thing over and over and over! He is getting better, I must give him that. However, getting “better” doesn’t mean he’s a better or more ethical lawyer, what I mean is he’s beginning to handle himself a little better in the courtroom…. I think Judge Perry is incredibly patient with Baez. My theory of the Judge’s assistance of Baez is in order to avoid a reversal via ineffective counsel. Judge Perry is being ultra careful.

7. Jun 17 2011

Good morning, ya’ll!! Another scorcher here in Texas! A perfect day to sit by the fan and sip sweet tea – I will need the caffeine to keep me awake!

Seems Dr. Spitz will be up and attempt to discredit Dr G. Good luck with that!!

• Jun 17 2011

Dr Spitz is an azzhole. I hope Jef Ashton had the opportunity to confer with Alan Jackson, the Phil Spector Prosecuter, about Spitz…..speaking of a##holes Jackson tore Spitz a new one. LOL (I don’t mean to offend anyone with this ‘brazen” comment but I truely loathe Werner Spitz, he has no credibility with me.)

• Jun 17 2011

Hi Kimmie! Hope you have a pool handy to jump in! It’s hot here in Florida, too… but not that hot. I’m in South Florida and we have hot weather but not as bad since we’re so close to the ocean, I guess.

Oh Dr. Spitz is such a waste! I look forward to the State squashing him like a big blow fly……

8. katydid
    Jun 17 2011

I hope KC is found guilty, she will have a rude awakening.

9. Jun 17 2011

Hi Sherry,
    I am formulating some thoughts about the trial….I attended on June 7 and that was an experience for sure! We just got home from FL last night so I’m reviewing my notes and trying to catch up on the testimony before I write. You are so right….while most trials will have a few twists or turns this one is unlike any I’ve experienced, and I’ve seen some doozies! 🙂

10. offthecuff
    Jun 17 2011

And What have we gleaned from a whole morning (mourning) with one witness?

In this expert’s opinion, there was no dead body in the car.
    —-no determination from remaining fly parts
    —-stain couldn’t be stain from corpse (inadmissible)

What say ye? 1 hour of info?

11. damagdpets
    Jun 17 2011

The testimony today is painful! Baez keeps trying to have people testify to things outside their scope. He has succeeded in getting a few questions answered when they shouldn’t have been. I’m not sure who the jury is going to get upset with, Ashton, Baez or both. If Baez and his drawn out questioning puts me to sleep I wonder what the jury thinks. My hope in what Aston is doing is to force Baez to put Casey on the stand. There is no witness that can verify the drowning or the sexual abuse. It makes no sense to me that Casey would hang around the house for years if she was being abused in some way. She must have had some comfort level of G&C watching Caylee and stealing them blind since 2006.

12. NancyB
    Jun 17 2011

Jeff Ashton was a cross between a rottweiler and a pitbull against Dr Tim. Just excellent. Harrington kept stumbling and several times when flustered he gave incorrect/dishonest testimony. He told Baez that adipocere is often not found in children. If you Google adipocere it says “commonly found on young children when decomposing” because of their high fat content. He then stated that there are only 15 board certified entomologists but their national website lists over 10 pages of names of BCE’s.

13. NancyB
    Jun 17 2011

I forgot to say that Ashton asked Harrington if in Entomology there is a difference between garbage and trash. He insisted not. I found the Online Etymology Dictionary–It does specify the difference between trash and garbage.

Dr Lee left the defense once he found the death wax (adipocere) in the trunk.

This witness testified that decomp fluids often kill the grass around it, doesn’t this hurt the defense since Cindy testified that they haven’t been able to grow grass in the backyard since 2008?

• Jun 17 2011

NANCY! Thank you so much for your post, links and the info you’ve provided! I agree with you that Dr. Tim was NOT honestly addressing the subject at hand and acting ethically. Man! You have brought up so many important items, I haven’t yet written my post and will cite the references you’ve provided……Many thanks again, Nancy! 🙂

• Jun 17 2011

I’d say the doctor lied like a bug in a rug!

Here is Bill Shaeffer’s assessment of today’s proceedings~

I’d say that the bug doctor was a fine State’s witness! lol