June 25, 2011

casey trial ended suddenly – speculation is just that

It’s very interesting to hear the excited speculation that was raised at the sudden end of today’s planned testimony, in the State v. Casey Anthony trial.

Today began (like many other days in that Orlando courtroom), with a defense discovery violation.

Jeff Ashton again brought up another glaring discovery violation as it relates to defense witness, Dr. Kenneth Furton, who is a professor and researcher with Florida International University (FIU), in Miami, Florida.

Arguments began regarding the discovery violation issue – Jose Baez was extremely recalcitrant and in denial about what could possibly be the problem.

Baez said, “We’re not going to go through this!”  The Judge said, “You’d think this would have grown old by now, but I guess some things never change.”

Then Mr. Mason alerted the Judge of another matter they needed to attend to.

The video on WFTV has the file of the first part of this morning’s session.  You’ll be able to see for yourself what the issues are.  Click here for the video.

The attorney’s went back behind closed doors for quite a while, when Judge Perry came back and announced there was a legal matter that required their attention – and it was unrelated to what was previously discussed (the Dr. Furton discovery violation).

HLN was all over the map trying to speculate. We’re all speculating, of course!  I get a giggle when HLN speculates, though.  HLN had a story on whether Casey Anthony was crying when she came out of the closed door session with the attorneys, since she was blowing her nose?  (Maybe she has a cold?)

And, then there was the story of George Anthony crying today since he was seen with a tissue.  George was clearly blowing his nose!

I don’t know if HLN brought this bit of speculation up, too, but someone on Twitter asked if a plea deal was offered today, hence the tears from George and Casey.

There was speculation centered around a mistrial (which I think makes the most sense). Oh, and there was more speculation that Casey wants a new defense team.  (Something she should have done on July 17, 2008.)

HLN speculated about the picture of Caylee (below), shown yesterday during Jose Baez’ direct with Cindy Anthony.  Was the picture doctored?

Caylee (?) at Anthony Home

Is it really Caylee?   Maybe the picture was staged?  Is that really Caylee, or is it another child?

Blah blah blah blah – the talking heads talked.

Honestly, I can’t help speculating as well!

For what it’s worth, my speculation is this:  Yesterday, Cheney Mason brought up the motion for mistrial which is still on the table.  (Cheney Mason asked the Judge about it yesterday, near the end of the day.)

Judge Perry told Mr. Mason, if he was to entertain this motion for mistrial, it would require a full evidentiary hearing, and not just lawyers flapping their gums.  Mr. Mason concurred, and then the subject was dropped.

Did Mr. Mason bring up something solid with regards to this motion that sent everyone scurrying away?

I don’t think so, but who knows!

We may never know the answers to today’s abrupt change of plans because these closed-door discussions were sealed by Judge Perry.

The facts we do know surround the attorneys needing additional time to do some work, take more depositions, and so on.  It must be difficult to work on your case when you’re in trial all day.  No doubt the attorney’s are stressed and need more time to do the actual work that is required in the case (i.e. motions to write.)

After all, they only have Sunday off!

Reportedly, Jeff Ashton is taking this free time to do another deposition of Dr. Furton.  Court is resuming as usual on Monday morning, and it appears that things will be business as usual.

The Discovery Issue….

Dr. Furton, apparently scheduled to testify today, has come to court with some new ideas and opinions.  Jose Baez handed Assistant State Attorney, Jeff Ashton, a new PowerPoint demonstration created by Dr. Furton – today.  I believe this is at least the third time Jose Baez has played this trick – he faces contempt charges already, you’d think he’d learn his lesson by now?

When Dr. Furton testified in the Frye hearings, Dr. Furton came off as a “wanna-be Dr. Arpad Vass,” in my opinion.

During the Frye hearings, Dr. Furton would have liked us to believe there was no smell of decomposition; rather it was a result of the infamous trash, which is all garbage, which was left in the trunk of Casey’s car.

In addition, Dr. Furton’s bases his findings and his experiments on separate body parts decomposing.  Not entire bodies.

There’s a big difference between the two events, as can be imagined.  Dr. Furton would not concede, during the Frye Hearings, that there would be differing results from a whole body, versus a body part going through the decomposition process.

In short, he was not a convincing expert witness.

We’ll see how all this plays out Monday morning!

Happy weekend, everyone!

1. katydid
    Jun 25 2011

I am sorry, but that is not Caylee….too tall….she was only 3 years old. If it is Caylee…the pix has been tampered with.

• Jun 26 2011

Check out this video – there are quite a few pictures where Caylee appears long and slim….

2. offthecuff
    Jun 25 2011

It would seem that the picture could easily be verified. Caylee’s height is known. The angle of the picture is tricky, as if taken while sitting on a low chair.

3. Weezie
    Jun 25 2011

Holy, maybe that’s what all the fuss was about today? You think?

4. Jun 25 2011

I watched the two parts of today’s trial and I do not believe George or Casey were crying-it looks more like allergies to me.

I heard that the tennis shoes on the girl in the pic above are like those on Caylee at her 2nd birthday party. I think that’s a bit weird that the shoes would still fit her if that is Caylee. I have to say that the arms and legs seem awfully thin for a two and half year old. Perhaps looking at Caylee in her great grandpa’s lap could help in seeing her arms. I’m wondering if it isn’t a picture of the little girl that Cindy was babysitting.

• Jun 25 2011

I completely agree with the allergy diagnosis – I suffer them too and it is what I saw

5. annie
    Jun 25 2011

hi shrry the photo is casey anthony and not of caylee.

6. Jun 25 2011

hi sherry the photo of casey above is not caylee and of casey when she was 4 years of age.

• colleen
      Jun 25 2011

Annie, how do you know that?

• Jun 25 2011

Good question

7. katydid
    Jun 25 2011

Even the shoes and feet look big.

8. Weezie
    Jun 25 2011

Annie; I second that question. How do you know that? Where’s the proof it’s Casey?

9. Jun 25 2011

Hi ya’ll!!

Hey Andrea, my dear friend!!!!

10. Jun 25 2011

hi to all how do you know its caylee ?ddid you see her face?no?does this picture look like a 2 year old or even 3 years of age? no?look at her shoes and how skinny her legs are ?look at the dress?not something now a days kids will wear or cindy would let her wear.kadydid yes her feet are way too big and this kid is stronger to open the door okay?heelo wizzey kim and colleen l heard abouit it from someone who knows cindy.they want to put it in there so they can see a child has the ability to open the door.l hope you guys would really look close to thuis photo its not caylee.even if you think its not casey but it sure is not caylee.l saw photos of casey when she was that tall and skiiny legs okay.you dont have to believe me but it is just what l am saying again its not caylee dont expect it to be because its casey.

• Xenu
      Jun 25 2011

Can you please link to the childhood photos of Casey that you claim to have seen? Thanks.

11. Jun 25 2011

katydid hi that photo is casey not of caylee right?thnk about it look at the dress look at the shoes big arent they?not caylee.look at her skinny legs look at how tall she is in opening that door thats casey it dont matter if you dont believe me l have no proof but l have seen photo of casey and that is her okay?

• Xenu
      Jun 25 2011

Please share the “Casey as a child” photo(s) with us, if possible.

• colleen
      Jun 25 2011

i agree it doesn’t look like Caylee, too big. I was just wondering if you knew for sure.

12. Jun 25 2011

xenu hi l have not got that link as of yet but dont know what to send you.look at the photo and think for a minute if you have kids then you will be able to tell me that the photo you see is taller then a 2 1/2 year old right?look at the shoes they are big feet okay.look at her dress that dont lok like a dress that cindy would dres her in now adays.the child has skinny legs and big feet.the photo shows at the sliding doors that the latch from the door is high and where caylee would not be able to open that period.l am not on the stand here for me to prove something but look at this photo really good its not caylee.do you guys have proof that its caylee?let me in on this too.

• Xenu
      Jun 25 2011

I don’t have kids, and I agree with you that the child in the photo looks older than Caylee was—-I was just curious if you had copies of the photos of Casey as a child. Just wanted to compare.

13. Jun 25 2011

annie, dear – we aren’t grilling you! You stated so firmly that it is Casey and not Caylee that of course we reacted and wanted to know more!

• colleen
      Jun 25 2011

and wouldn’t that be something, if the real photo could be submitted to the prosecution!

• Jun 25 2011

I understand that the prosecution has been made aware of this photo.

14. Jun 25 2011

Casey was in and out of her chair this morning. Anyone else notice the chair? It looks like a child’s chair! Another Defense strategy?

• Xenu
      Jun 25 2011

Yes. It has been widely reported that Cheney Mason intentionally lowered her chair in order to make her appear smaller.

• Jun 26 2011

Hi Xenu… Yes, I had heard that, too. They want to make her appear small and sensitive – too diminutive to do such a brutal act. I think the jury will see through these tactics for what they are…. (I hope they will, anyway!)

15. CptKD
    Jun 25 2011

There was a little girl that was hanging around the Anthony house druing the time that the Inmate was arrested….

Cindy had made comments that it was NICE to have a LITTLE GIRL around, and was allowing her to PLAY in CAYLEE’s room –

Do you all remember that – Cause I do!

And I have EVERY REASON to believe, that that picture above, is that of that little girl and NOT a picture of CAYLEE.

Those legs are TOO long, and the feet are TOO big to be that of a 2 and a half yr old!
    I know, I have a 2 and half yr old nephew, and there is NO WAY that HE is that LONG. There is NO way that his feet are that big, nor is he capable of stretching up in such a SOLID, ‘sound-footed’ manner.

He would be balancing on his tippy-toes, and actually leaning on the door for support to be able to hold that stretch.

This little girl almost appears to be skipping towards the door, and is tall enough, steady enough, and appears capable and able to reach the slot to slide that sliding door right open….

I question this picture –
    And I’d definately be having a closer look into the authentity of it, since it has now been introduced by the Defence….

FRAUD – FRAUD – FRAUD!

I’d bet my last CANADIAN ‘Looney’!!!!

• Jun 25 2011

CptKD, that’s who I think is in that photo if its not Caylee. I think the hair is too dark for it to be Caylee but then sometimes hair shows up darker in pics.

• dee
      Jun 25 2011

I agree, with you. Especially considering the fact that Cindy was attempting to obstruct justice by not providing the correct hair brush for DNA testing, who knows as to the authenticity of this pix.

• dee
        Jun 26 2011

oops..Meant to say Cindy attempted to provide the police with the INCORRECT hair brush for DNA testing, when Caylee’s remains were found.

• CptKD

Pardon me –

After giving it some further thought, I may be off on my time line with regards to the WHEN the little girl was coming to visit with Cindy.

I DO recall that there WAS a time when this little girl was playing in Caylee’s room, which I found strange that Cindy would already allow.
      It was actually being broadcast in a media interview, but regardless of all that, I’m pretty positive, that that may be the girl.

I also have a feeling, that the kerchief in her hair, probably belonged to Caylee….

I recall a photo of Caylee with a similar, if not the one in the photo, bandana/kerchief, that may have matched the little sun-dress she was wearing….

Will see if I can find that pic!

wouldn’t that be something else – Cindy dressed up the little girl in Caylee’s clothes and headwear!

NOW, That’s freakin’ wierd!

• Jun 25 2011

Hi CptKD, and all! This picture is curious, but I think it’s authentic. The only reason I say that is because I’d seen Caylee in this outfit….I just got home and am going to look for pics, too…. Will leave the links of what I find… 🙂

This outfit?

• Jun 26 2011

nope…. that’s not the one I’m thinking of…. it’s another color outfit and Caylee looks older in the pic…. I just can’t find it! Maybe it’s on the Orlando Sentinel link? I’ll check it out… 🙂

16. Jun 26 2011

This isn’t the exact picture I am looking for, but this was taken at Easter time, in 2008, when she’s just beginning to stretch into a little girl versus a toddler. I’ll put together a photo montage tomorrow, maybe that will help us to determine if it’s Caylee…. The link is to a few ABC news pics – look for the pictures taken around Easter. http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/2020/popup?id=5729404

17. Jun 26 2011

Here is a picture of Caylee by that door~

• Jun 26 2011

Here is one of caylee’s last pictures and the arms look chubbier and not quite so long than that one pic. Jus’ sayin’~

• Jun 26 2011

You’re right, Sherry! The best comparison would be to look at the photos from the 15th…. Her arms did look chubbier! You mentioned that the State may be questioning the photo shown, too?
        I don’t buy that Caylee would be able to climb in that pool by herself, either…..

• Jun 26 2011

Yes, this was discussed at Websleuths and someone from there sent it to the SAO. One of their sleuthers compared the sneakers in the photo with those that Caylee wore when she had her second birthday-the b-day party video shows her wearing them. I think it would be a stretch to think that the child in the above photo is two years old. If it is a child of two and a half, i.e., Caylee, then she was still able to wear the same size shoes? The feet look much bigger than that.

• Jun 26 2011

Hey Sherry – That’s a good one! So, now I’m also beginning to wonder if I’m just plain wrong, and the photo used in court, could be doctored. However, photos can deceive depending on the angel they’re shot from…. Regardless, I think would not put it past the Anthony’s to try to slip something into court….

• Jun 26 2011

Okay, flipping between this pic and the other one I’m thinking it is Caylee. We could use that post of yours, Andrea!

• Jun 26 2011

LOL! I know – I go back and forth, too, darn it!

18. Jun 26 2011

The Easter photo with Casey standing behind her holding the video camera is a pretty good one. I wonder how tall Casey is? Easter and Father’s Day is only 3 months apart.

19. cecelia
    Jun 26 2011

Perhaps that is a picture of CASEY!? they’ve dwelled in that house of whorers for a long long time and Caylee was the spitting image of case. the scam house appears to be more cluttered with years of living in the same place than this pic of “caylee” opening the door. JMO

LOL! That’s cute, CptKD! 🙂

20. CptKD
    Jun 26 2011

OK – I still haven’t located a ‘STILL’ pic of Caylee with the ‘kerchief’ in her hair; however, I did find a MONTAGE of pics put together of little Caylee,
    and in at about 3:04 of the 7min video, you see a pic of Caylee with the dress and kerchief on….

The dress and kerchief are of a predominately ‘green’ (pattterned ?) color in nature, but I’m sure I’ve seen a similar outfit, resembling that of the girl in the pic in question….

I’m still digging around….

21. CptKD
    Jun 26 2011

I re-watched the above video montage….

Check the pic at around 3:20-1 mins.

I think that may be the pic we were actually looking for…

The kerchief in this pic, I’m thinking seems to resemble somewhat that of what the little girl above is wearing…. I think!!!! LOL!

Off the record –
    Captain don’t DO dresses….
    Nor kerchiefs for that matter! LOL!!!!

• Jun 26 2011

Yup! That’s the picture! There are some other really good pics in the video….posted it above…:)

22. dee
    Jun 26 2011

Andrea:
    Your description (“extremely recalcitrant”) of Mr. Baez’s attitude is so appropriate that I smiled when I read it…wow this guy never learns. I think that this latest discovery violation related to Dr. Kenneth Furton’s testimony which I feel is again purposeful on Baez’s part, makes his Contempt of Court charge imminent.
    If you get a chance check out this cartoon..it speaks a thousand words:

• Jun 26 2011

Hey Dee! Oh, I love that! So appropriate….. I want to tell you about this lawyer, Joseph Rakofsky. I was just reading about him today because his performance in the murder trial he attempted went down in such flames that a mistrial was ordered. It was his first trial of any kind – a murder trial, to boot, and he made unbearable mistakes…. I’m going to write a post in a moment about how this lawyer and Jose Baez, sadly, have a lot in common. 🙂

23. Jun 26 2011

Goodness! I couldn’t help myself, I had to go back and rewatch Saturday again from youtube. George Anthony is holding and reading from approx. 2 inch thick script? A book, movie deal? Cindy Anthony is nonstop chatter to the person on her left. Who is it? When Baez stands to speak, Cheney is covering his eyes, lol, yep! When Cheney stands and initiates the sidebar, watch and you see Baez, literally do a 360! Did Casey hand the reigns over to Cheney? I saw no contact (not even eye) btwn Casey & Baez, but plenty contact btwn Casey & Cheney. When they went behind closed doors Casey was fixated on the laptop screen. I see Sims’ hand reach over and close it. Then opens it. What the hay! Sims repeats this again! I have to watch it over to catch it. Its the door! Whenever the door opened, Sims’ reached over and closed the laptop! Door closes, laptop opens. What was on that laptop that had Casey chewing her inner lip?! As she stands, her hand wringing is intense!

• colleen
      Jun 26 2011

I have been speculating all week-end. Cannot wait for tomorrow! I do think it has to do with Baez. I agree with you RahRah, Casey’s wants him off the team, or for Cheney to take the lead. One more sleep than hopefully we’ll know what is going on.

• Jun 27 2011

Wow, RahRah, I never thought that it could be that Casey wants Mason to be lead. That very well could be it. What bothers me is that it was important enough to call off court for the day. But, if this is what happened then the afternoon may have been needed to get Mason prepared to take the lead. You made good sense!

24. Jun 26 2011

Andrea, you know what bothers me about the photo is the little girls’ haircut. Caylee’s hair was just below her shoulders in the 2008 pics I have viewed.

• Jun 26 2011

Hey RahRah – I know what you mean; it’s just odd no matter how you look at it.

Hey Collen and all…. I have to work tomorrow and will miss so much! I am really anxious to hear how things go, and if there is any hint about what went on Saturday…… Keep me posted until I get home, okay! 🙂

25. dee
    Jun 27 2011

Andrea,
    Love the cartoon..it is my favorite. And so spot on, because, everytime Baez opens his mouth to defend himself aganist discovery violations, he makes matters worse. I just reviewed the tape from Friday again, because in defending himself Baez made assertions that I could hardly believe.
    For instance, Baez asserts that the information in Dr. Kenneth Furton’s updated powerpoint slide is not a new opinion, but, simply the same opinion already entered into evidence by another defense witness. From both an evidentiary and ethical perspective, this statement may pose additional problems for Baez. First, if the facts incorporated in Dr. Furton’s powerpoint, have already been entered into evidence by a defense witness, this may constitute improper bolstering. Secondly, it is improper for the defense to share facts that are in evidence with Dr. Furton or any witness. Therefore, that begs the question as to how Dr. Furton even have an awareness of prior testiomony. Hence, the reason witnesses are not in the courtroom. (Sounds to me as if some witness tampering is taking place.) From the look on Judge Perry’s face, this was not lost on him at all.

26. CptKD
    Jun 27 2011

I still don’t see how that IS Caylee in the picture above!

Where’s all her hair gone to –
    When she wears the kerchief in the other pics shown in the vid, her hair is always let loose and long…

This kid in the pic, looks to have short hair!
    It doesn’t even look like it’s tied up – Seriously!
    If you look close, it looks like someone with SHORT hair!
    I don’t see a ‘Pony-tail’, ‘Pig-tails’, or any sort of ‘tie’!
    Not even a ‘BUN’!

I also think the FEET are way too big, to be that of a 2 and half
    year old… I saw the one pic in the vid, and her feet ARE NOT
    as big as this kid in the pic in question –
    My 2 and half year old nephew’s feet aren’t even THAT big!!!

I simply don’t think it is Caylee in that picture –

Never mind proving that it isn’t, at this point!

Prove to me that it is – LOL!

“JJ”
    (I am ‘Just Joking’, eh!)

27. Jun 27 2011

CptKD: The first time I saw that picture, I had the exact same thought as you about the little girl that Cindy supposedly babysat for awhile. Below is the link for that and if you go to 38:55 minutes in, you will see her.

However, I don’t know what they could have done with the hair. It does look short in the picture submitted as ‘evidence’.

48 Hours Mystery: The Untold Story