June 29, 2011

the courtroom as torture chamber

I find it’s difficult to write about the tumultuous day in the Orlando courtroom where Casey Anthony is being tried for the Capital Murder of her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony.

It was a cruel day for George Anthony, Casey’s father.  It was not a Father’s Day for Roy Kronk, either.

If looks could kill. Photo: Red Huber, Orlando Sentinel

George is an ordinary man who has made ordinary mistakes.  His love for his Granddaughter, Caylee Marie Anthony was extraordinary – more to him than life itself.

Today was a stellar day for the State of Florida, thanks to the defense team.  Jose Baez, the most despicable attorney on the face of the planet, provided the State of Florida with extra energy today.

The performance of Jose Baez, especially today, was slimy; crueler than cruel.

His courtroom performance demonstrates, at least to me, why he should be immediately disbarred at the close of this horrendous case.

Baez tortured George Anthony today for hours.  Is this American Justice?  Can this be what our system is becoming?

When did the courtroom become a witness torture chamber?

George Anthony sat in that cold courtroom with his chest cut open while Baez poured acid into his open wounds.

It was painful to watch. Though I’m sure most everyone cheered the courage that George Anthony had today, no doubt they cried, too, seeing him lay there bleeding.

As he bled, George’s own flesh and blood, Casey Anthony, used her murderous eyes to cut him further.

Were those the eyes Caylee saw as she took her last breath?

My prayer for Caylee, just as her own mother snuffed the last breath from her, was that she was gently taken up by loving hands to a place we can’t see – beyond a veil, protected and loved. To the same place where her “Jo-Jo” wanted to go to be with her.

When George was explaining his suicide attempt, which Baez cruelly mocked, he said, through tears:

My emotional state even through today is it’s very hard to accept that I don’t have a grand-daughter…

I just felt like it was the right time to go and be with Caylee, I just decided that was the time for me to get away from all this, to spend time with Caylee..I didn’t want to be in this world anymore….

His voice trailed as he waited for Baez to land another blow to his already beaten heart.

Hell will have a special room for the likes of Jose Baez.

Anyone who would attack another human being at their lowest and most vulnerable – just when their heart is hanging out and freshly bleeding –  is inhumane and certainly does not deserve to be called an officer of the court – a seeker of the truth.

Clearly Baez never learned the Golden Rule for defense lawyers.  Juries do not like cruel defense lawyers and are likely to punish the client as a result.

The accusations, the lies, the innuendos from Baez have all back-fired.  The State will bring it all forward in their closing statements, and will remind the jurors that the truth  and this defense team are strangers, as the Honorable Judge Stan Strickland once said about Casey Anthony.

The boomerang effect has landed a death-blow to this defense.

And, it serves the defense right that their last witness of the day, Dr. Sally “Hello Dolly” Karioth, was more Carol Channing, singing “Before the Parade Passes By,” than she was grief counselor hired to help the defense.  Jeff Ashton skillfully sliced and diced her testimony so skillfully she never knew what hit her!  (By the way, did Judge Perry not see that she was chewing gum on the stand?)

And, lastly, Brandon Sparks, who appears to be a very troubled young man, blew it when he referred to his father as, “Roy Kronk,” and then as his “biological Father,” while testifying.

Jurors are not stupid; they will smell a son’s vendetta from forty paces.

Two children destroyed two fathers today.

1. Jun 29 2011

Hi Andrea, i have no doubts that Crystal Sparks, Brandon’s mother has raised him to have disdain for his father Roy. She was right up there with Roy’s other ex wife Jill Kerley talking to that rat that was trying to get dirt on Mr.kronk’s ex wives talking trash about him to use for the Defense side.

George Anthony hit a home run today square between evil Baez eyes~~ Baez came out looking like a real ahole with nothing that can be used to back up his opening statement lies. George’s suicide note when read to the juror’s will finish blowing bozo’s and Mason boat out of the water and up in a tree. I was very proud of George today and he put Caylee in front this time. Casey was furious of course and i loved that too.

• Jun 29 2011

Hi Knight Owl! You are right, it was so gross how the defense wanted so badly to destroy Roy Kronk, I hope they didn’t hurt him too badly through his own son. What a terrible son to do that to his father….even if they’ve been separated, who would do that?? I was proud of George, too! 🙂

I hope that Crystal / River doesn’t harm him when she testifies. Well, chances are the jury will see her as a little crazy. The state will destroy her, if they must. She has a shady past and a record….It will be another interesting day!

• offthecuff
        Jun 29 2011

he said/she said

• Jun 29 2011

That’s true! Whew! Okay….

• Jun 29 2011

{wavin’ at Knight Owl and Louie!}

I, too, was proud of George, at least for today. It seems like he is the one on trial as well as Kronk.

• Jun 30 2011

Sherry, hugs to you from me and Louie~~~~~~~~~~

2. Jun 29 2011

In my opinion it doesn’t matter whether Casey testifies or not as their case is DEAD and no resucitation can bring it back to life. I do hope if skankey does testify that Jeff Ashton does the cross.

• Jun 29 2011

Oh, me too, Knight Owl, me too! He will destroy her by detailing all her lies…. Oh, he would be masterful if he had a chance to “have at” Casey Anthony! And, you’re right, they have already killed their case anyway… she’s not going to do anything at this point…. unless they want that last hail mary and throw it all to the wind!

• Jun 29 2011

I want to see her take the stand and put the final nail in her coffin :mrgreen:

NeJame said that Baez’ antic with the suicide note is what pulled the plug on a defense that was already on life support.

• Jun 29 2011

I think so, too, Sherry. it was gross what Baez did with that and it was so nice how it backfired on him.

And, really, how dare Baez make fun of a suicide attempt! How sick is that???

3. offthecuff
    Jun 29 2011

It seems at rebuttal Cindy will be proven a liar, impeached maybe? But it’s very necessary to line Casey up with those computer searches, although with the accompanying myspace activity, it would appear obvious it wasn’t Cindy on the computer.

• Jun 29 2011

Hey Offthecuff… I totally agree…. Cindy could easily be impeached… it may not matter, though, as you say, when they show the computer access and that Cindy was at work…. It won’t be pretty for her, but when you lie, you pay in the end….

4. Jun 29 2011

I bet this was a hard write-up. You did great, once again.

A talkinghead on HLN summed up Baez’ antics today by saying what he did to George was more like what you would see on LA Law than from real defense attorneys.

Baez is a bully who is morally bankrupt. Disgusting. I hope everything he tries to do in life fails until he begs God’s forgiveness for what he has done. You can’t convince me he didn’t know from the start that Casey murdered her child. Why else this defense strategy?

• Jun 29 2011

Absolutely, Sherry. He knew from the beginning – he’s morally bankrupt, but not stupid, and he knew. He has no business being a lawyer. And I hope, as you say, he will ask God’s forgiveness before it’s too late.
      And, yes… he tries to “act” the part of a lawyer….but it’s obvious by his antics that he’s really insecure. But, his lack of values/morals trumps his insecurity, it seems.

• Jun 30 2011

Andrea, well we all knew soon as Casey started lieing about where she left Caylee and kept the lies going to the police instead of helping them find her baby, so even though Baez is not the smarter bulb on the tree he is not brain dead so he knew Casey was guilty too. He is just one of those slimey wanna be Johnny Cochrain types that winning no matter how nasty it is done is okay with them as long as they win and they could care less if their client is guilty nor what heinous crime was committed, if the victim is an adult or a baby to them again they could care less. The audacity of Baez to call Mr.kronk a morally bankrupt individual. More like he is and he should look in the mirror.

• LILLIAN
        Jun 30 2011

NIGHT OWL,

THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE WITH PERSONALITY DISORDERS DO! THEY ACCUSE OTHERS OF BEING WHAT THEY THEMSELVES ARE!
        I COULD NEVER BE A DEFENSE ATTORNEY., THEY ARE NEVER FOR THE ‘TRUTH”. PROSECUTOR JEFF ASHTON IS DOING A GREAT JOB!
        I’M STICKING MY NECK OUT THAT IT WILL BE 1ST DEGREE MURDER.
        lilytheflower

• Jun 29 2011

p.s., Sherry… Thanks… I did struggle with this one…it was emotional for me…. so sad.

5. Jun 30 2011

It has been said that it would be better if Casey doesn’t testify, so that she can claim ineffective counsel, while applying for a retrial, That would be a better gamble than taking the stand. Now, it appears that Casey’s is the only one to finalize her decision to go on the stand, and we all know that she is dying to tell her fantastical story. She will never plea, which means she will have to do this. Wow, it will make Super Bowl seem like pee wee sports televised by mistake. Everyone is making money on this case for sure. Now we got that issue out of the way; George was the only person who clarified to the jury and the world, how it is time to believe the reaity of Caylee’s murder by admitting, he could not back then, beleve his daughter could do such a horrid thing. There is no other person of interest or of suspicion. I love this statement. “Don’t let your mouth write a check that your butt can’t cash” We will see how much of Casey is going to convince her D. TEAM, that she can do it! She can save herself, because the rest of you goons have put me into this position, so I have no choice, grumble grumble.
    tell the REAL story of how he dealt with the missing Caylee from beginning 3 years ago to this very day. He has finally admitted\; I never believed tha Casey could have done such a thing to Caylee.
    who has been able to arrive at the truth about Casey’s ability to do the murder. That’s final, door shut, no more carting the baby to the woods by George. It’s so sad that Bae

6. dee
    Jun 30 2011

Because of the pride that I have in my profession as an attorney, I could not watch the direct testimony of George Anthony…hour by hour I have managed to pull up one or two videos of the direct testimony, but I can not bring myself to sit and watch it straight through…too painful on too many levels.

• Jun 30 2011

Dee, I totally agree. It was incredibly painful to see – cruel beyond words….

7. Linda
    Jun 30 2011

Hello Andrea,,I said it before and I’ll say it again……..Casey Anthony is a BIG COWARD who has never fought her own battles, that was always Cindys job……. I really don’t think she will take the stand.. I remember when she stood up in court and admitted stealing Amys checks, she was shaking all over and almost crying. If she thinks that she can stand up to LDB then I say bring it on………
    I agree Baez is the lowest of low…… He is far more driven to win and its all self-serving, he doesnt give 2 chits about Casey…her family or anyone elses life he destroys….. I can only pray that the Florida Bar has him in there sights…….

• Jun 30 2011

Linda; You were right as usual. Good call, but darn it, I was really looking forward to seeing her squirm.

• Jun 30 2011

Hey Linda and Weezie (Louise) She sure is a coward to put the blame on her father and brother, gross cowardice. If she testified today, she would have been creamed by the prosecution…. they would have made her look like the murderer she is, but even worse… raising the likelihood of the severest charges…..I would have liked to see her questioned – the satisfaction of seeing her squirm would have been delightful.

8. Jun 30 2011

Hello to all! It is really good for me to be able to read another’s opinions with respect to how they feel on what they heard and saw. I have to say my heart about jumped out of my chest when I heard Judge Perry say this morning to Ashton and Finnell, “…if it gets that far…”, refering to the case and the 8:30a motions Finnell brought before the court. The rest is as Andrea has stated. “…Torture…”. Good night, and may your dreams be sweet to all you wonder people. (I’m glad I stumbled on this site in my search for truth. Many thanks, Andrea, and much encouragement to help you see your goal through. Yours Truly, RahRah)

9. NancyB
    Jun 30 2011

I love your blog and adore you for this post.
    “The cruelty of this defense and this murderous daughter is coming full circle and will result in a charge of Murder One and the disbarment of Jose Baez.” – From your mouth to God’s ears!

10. Jun 30 2011

I misquoted Judge Perry. His words were, “I will rule on this on this request prior to the receipt of the verdict, IF we get that far in this case”.

11. dee
    Jun 30 2011

Andrea:
    I finally looked at all of the testimony from yesterday…and I can only say that the Florida Bar had it right the first time…Baez lacks the character to be a licensed attorney ….and no Baez, by no means, is indicative of what our American Justice system is or desires to become, but instead Baez is an aberrancy, with no love, respect or honor for the justice, honesty and respect.
    Simply put, his behavior yesterday was tantamount to an abuse of power.

• Jun 30 2011

Oh, thank you, Dee, for saying this! In order to be in your profession, you have to have the greatest appreciation for the law; one has to respect it in order to practice it, in my opinion. My brother is a lawyer, too, and he lives and breathes the law, it’s in his pores and because he loves his profession so much – as most good lawyers do….you’d have to love it because it’s not an easy profession! Anyway, the bar will realize they got it right so many years ago when they denied him access to the Bar. He has no right to stand before Lady Justice if he cannot be honest. No matter what side you’re on, you have to search for the truth… But, as I mentioned earlier, being a stranger from the truth is a very bad reflection of our our system of justice…. I am sure there are others like him, but I would hope they don’t make it too far in their career…

12. Jun 30 2011

Andrea; It appears we are nearing the end of the Defence’s case. Will she or won’t she that is the question. They are on a 2 hour lunch break, the talking heads say they are talking to Casey to see if she will testify on her own behalf. ha ha. Anyway the pet burials also backfired on the Defence. Look at the careful way they buried their pets, but George threw Caylee in the swamp!!!!! That failed miserably too. Is Baez actually a lawyer? I am glad this is coming to an end. I hope we will all be talking about other pleasant things in the future, remaining friends on your blog and others as well. Caylee is going to get justice because there are really good people who believe in searching for it.

13. darlene
    Jun 30 2011

Andrea,
    Thanks again for your thoughtful daily insights. I’ve been up every morning at 6 a.m. (west coast) recording everything all day then watching the trial live at work on CNN, then coming home at night and sometimes staying up past midnight reviewing everything I recorded. So I have a pretty good handle on what has been presented. Now that I’ve watched Krystal Holloway’s testimony this morning I must say I’m a little worried this jury will be swayed that somehow she matters, and she doesn’t, as far as what happened to Caylee is concerned. It’s obvious to me that Holloway and her twin sister looked at this event as a potential gold mine for themselves. While it’s Holloway’s sister who has a criminal past, I believe these two women are lying big time. Her “performance” on the stand this morning was quite a nice piece of acting but I’m not convinced. So what if George texted her “I need you in my life” – hell, he needs everybody in his life just to get through this horror he’s facing. Her statements mean nothing. Still . . . it’s troublesome that Baez has been able to inject doubt into Kronk’s testimony (I believe him, especially after he revised his statements knowing that he had handled the bag), into the Anthony’s testimony, etc. Baez has created such a ridiculous theory of defense that a fleet of HumVees could drive through it! I pray to God this jury is smart enough to see through all the crap, Baez and Mason’s ridiculous theories and stupid trial procedures, and deal with the obviousness and logic of the prosecution case. I’m hoping for all of us, especially Caylee, that we won’t be going through this trial again. After all, I need to get some sleep at night! Thanks.

14. colleen
    Jun 30 2011

Andrea, really an excellent post. I could only watch a bit of the GA testimony. I cannot stand watching Baez. He is really disgusting and an embarrassment to the administration of justice. I have a feeling that Casey kept him on as her lawyer, because, Baez is similar to her.

15. Jun 30 2011

A ligthbulb just went on. Does anyone think that Casey experimented with Chloroform on the family pets, who were getting quite sick according to Cindy. It isn’t a far stretch to think that murderers start with pets and work to humans. Just a thought

• colleen
      Jun 30 2011

Louise, makes sense, maybe she was, Cindy did testify that the dogs were sleepy.

• Jun 30 2011

Hey Weezie… Wow! And after all the talk about the dogs dying today, it would make one wonder if she had practiced….yikes!

16. Linda
    Jul 1 2011

Hi Andrea, I also love your blogs…… Louise I think your right on about the dogs and Casey..She is Evil…….. I don’t know if any of you remember but I remember a LONG time ago and Cindy made a statement, maybe to police that before she had her 2 yorkie pupies she had 2 other dogs that mysteriously died………..she thought maybe that they ate something in the yard that was poison…Did not take them to the vet to see why they died, but goes out to get to more………… REALLY !!!! something tells me she pissed Casey off ….Casey is a Psychopath and Caylee was just something to use to hurt Cindy……

17. purple rain
    Jul 2 2011

I love everything that you have written . just so you know my heart hurts somuch . and i have cried for the last 20 minutes from reading here you did a masterful joj in this report . you touch our hearts with your chosen words .What compassion you have , thank you.