July 11, 2011

can’t stop thinking about….yup, the trial

I want to mention a couple of things about the Casey Anthony case that are still really bothering me. And, I want to share what I learned today about “Cloud Computing” and using Microsoft “SkyDrive,” which is relatively new, I believe.

But first, the trial.

Practically everywhere I look – on Twitter, blogs and on newsy websites – there are articles and reports about the Casey Anthony trial.  I can’t get away from it – especially when the news reminds me of critical questions that should be asked.

Here’s what bugs me still:

1. If, like the Anthony defense contends, Caylee drowned in the pool, that would be the manner of death.  But, there were at least two times that Jose Baez said in the trial (I believe it was in front of the jurors), “We’ll never know how Caylee died.”   So, what’s true? Did she drown?  If it was a pool accident, that’s how she died!  This equivocation by Jose tells me he was NOT completely sold on the drowning theory.
  2. When did Jose Baez learn that Caylee was not a missing child?  Didn’t the Anthony family and the defense, until December 11th, 2008 – when Caylee’s remains were discovered – believe she was missing?  The Anthony’s were on Larry King on the evening of the 10th of December and they were bound and determined to get us to believe Caylee was “missing” and yet, according to Lee, Cindy had Dominic Casey, in November, search the woods off of Suburban Drive.  The search supposedly came about via a tip from psychic, Ginnette Lucas.
  3. When did Jose Baez and Cheney Mason learn of the “drowning”?  And did Casey tell them, or was it simply a theory of the defense?  In Dr. G’s deposition, Cheney Mason mentioned drowning as a possibility.  The Dr. G. deposition was taken in January or February, 2011.  Did they only just “learn” about the drowning?
  4. If it was an accident, why did Casey spend three years in jail?  I don’t believe for a single moment she would sit in jail if her father was complicit in the “accident.”
  5. On April 6th, 2010, Casey Anthony’s jail letters were released.  In them, Casey writes to Robyn that her brother would sneak into her room at night.  She also writes in the letters that she’s wondering if maybe her dad molested her, too.  She’s not sure because the memories are just coming back to her now.  But, she’s pretty sure he did molest her, too.  Did the defense team see a Golden Egg filled with reasonable doubt in the letters?  No doubt they did!
  6. The jury, we’re learning now, DID think Casey was guilty, but they claim, the prosecution didn’t prove it????   Juror #11, the foreman, told Greta Van Sustern that he was “disgusted” that he had to sign the verdict form.  Um, if the jury THOUGHT that she was guilty, wouldn’t that mean the prosecution proved their case?
  7. Some jurors thought that George could have been involved. The jury was told only to consider “evidence” during deliberations.  Where was the evidence regarding George’s involvement???  The answer?  In Jose Baez’s opening statement only, which is NOT evidence. Did this confuse the jurors?  Was Jose lying to the jury?  Why isn’t it illegal for a defense attorney to lie?
  8. Jose Baez gave a number of public statements referring to a “missing” Caylee early in the case. Jose specifically discussed a missing Caylee during his press conference on the day of Casey Anthony’s indictment.  Did Jose know at that time that Caylee drowned?  Why would Baez discuss Zanny the Nanny early on if there was a drowning?  Seems as if the drowning theory was just that, a theory, aka a lie.
  9. Cheney Mason said today he believed Casey’s story the first day he met her, at her home, before he signed on to the case.  At her home???  This would  have to be before October – prior to the indictment.  But, Caylee was missing then, right?  He believed her story about the drowning then?
  10. Casey was living at home with her molester father until she was 22, and then also when she was out on bond?  If the lawyers really believed the story about George, why didn’t they tell law enforcement or the prosecution about the molestation?  There is NO Statue of Limitations on child molestation.  So, if George did molest Casey he would be in jail right now.

So, these are my top 10 maddening left over issues.  But, I have accepted the verdict – almost.

Anyway, we have known all along that Casey Anthony is a prolific liar and we knew that George Anthony was going to be the reasonable doubt the defense needed.

We also knew that the jury would be able to see through the smoke screens, but they followed the law as they saw it, and I feel for the jurors now.

Sky Drive – Cloud Computing!

On www.skydrive.com, you’ll be able to set up a free account using SkyDrive’s suite of Cloud computing software.  You’ll get 25 GB’s of storage space, too.

You’ll have FREE access to create, edit, save, send Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote documents.   This is a great solution when you’re on the run.  Now matter what computer you’re on, your documents will be readily available, stored on your own “Cloud.”

1. Kitt
    Jul 11 2011

Hi Andrea
    I guess I’ve accepted the verdict. I mean, there’s nothing that can ever be done to change it. But, like you, I have nagging thoughts/questions. And they are the very same that you have.

My biggest one is your #4. Never, never, ever would Casey just sit still if she was not the one!! Never! That is just utter nonsense!

And then #7. I will just never, ever think/believe that George had anything at all to do with Caylee’s death and/or disposal. I’ve had conflicting feelings/thoughts about George over all this time. At times, I was thinking he was going to break and spill his guts, telling everything he knew or suspected. Other times, I thought he was going to play along and take the blame. But no matter which way I was thinking about him, I honestly NEVER thought he had anything to do with it. Period.

I will never come to any conclusion as to if Mr. Baez ever knew the truth from Casey. I just don’t think that she would ever admit to anybody, even Jose, the truth. Of course, the truth I have in mind is that she killed Caylee. Really, I don’t even know for sure whether I think it was intentional or accidental. I strongly believe that she was chloroforming Caylee, and maybe she died from the first time she was drugged, or the 100th. My mind, and the circumstantial evidence, tells me that it was premeditated murder. But then my heart tells me that no mother would kill her child. But I know that it happens. So, you see what I mean?….I believe it was premeditated murder, but then I’m going ‘No…she wouldn’t do that.’ But then I’m saying ‘Oh yes, she would.’ So now, I’ve contradicted myself! I said I didn’t know for sure if I thought it was accidental or intentional. Now I’m saying intentional. However, had I been on that jury, all of the evidence would have led me to see it was premeditated Murder One. And seriously, I’m sure I would not have backed down from that during deliberations.

• Jul 12 2011

Hi Kitt! I totally agree with you…. I know that I would have held out. No one could change my mind if I truly believed in guilt or innocence.
      The more I think about it, the more I believe the jurors were just not able to understand what they needed to do. They clearly didn’t understand reasonable doubt, and they couldn’t distinguish between evidence and non-evidence….
      Oh another note…. It’s so late (I just finished writing my daily post (at 11 pm), and so I’m off to never never land!

2. kelly
    Jul 11 2011

OMG, that bothered me too about how Biaz said in court “we will never know what happened to Caylee”. It was all about a win for him. He could care less what happened to the little baby.

• dee
      Jul 12 2011

I knew that all of the time…he is a con-man…albeit a very good one.

3. offthecuff
    Jul 11 2011

I’m sure there are many other questions other than the ones listed.

I believe the molestation was added very late in the game…for sympathy and explanation for dysfunctional coping skills. Throw in the graphics during opening arguments and the moment becomes an indelible crisis that diverts from Caylee.

Baez was in complete control of Casey (with her permission!) from the beginning. When the parents talked against him behind his back, he cut Casey off from them because he couldn’t trust them to tow the line.

They all knew Caylee was dead but didn’t have all the details,(the answers they desperately wanted), and most importantly, the body.

What still bugs me the most is when people want to think it was perhaps an accident of overdose of chloroform. Chloroform is a poison and should not have been given in any dose at any time.

• Jul 12 2011

Offthecuff, you always write such thoughtful and analytical posts. I agree that Baez was running the show, too. I think because he knew, clearly, she was guilty and he wanted to protect her from self-incrimination….
      I hope, like Jeff Ashton said, Caylee was sleeping and out before the tape went on… oh god…..

4. kelly
    Jul 11 2011

Also, before the trial, when he was talking to the media someone asked him if Casey was there at the scene when Caylee died and his response was….. you must be in fantasy land becase Casey was not there. Which story is it Mr. Lawyer? Just makes me sick.

• Jul 12 2011

Hey Kelly… Yup! The story changed, big time,. It was a blame-game, and a pin-the-reasonable-doubt-on-the-best-donkey, game, wasn’t it?

5. Linda
    Jul 11 2011

Hi Andrea, I agree this whole defense was bogus…Ann Finnelli was on tv today and says she didn’t even know Caylee drown, HUH? The jury bought all the lies Baez sold him.. I couldn’t believe it, I watched the Opra show today which I never do and it was a an repeat. If I wasn’t sitting down I would have fallen down. It was about 2 young girls who were sexually molested for yrs and how they had to give oral sex in the morning before they got on the school bus…..sound familiar? I almost chit. Is this where Baez got his STORY.. I do have to believe in the justice system, but I don’t believe that the jurors did their job on the evidence that was posented

• Jul 12 2011

OMG! i didn’t see Ann Finnel on TV, darn it! I agree, the jurors did not look at what they needed to look at in this case – they looked at what they didn’t have instead of all the evidence they had….

6. Linda
    Jul 11 2011

And I WANT to know if they thought that they made the choice Why are they hiding now…….I just watch Greta and juror #11 the forman said he thinks George is the guilty one HUH? Of course he didn’t show his face.
    I hope Baez is investigated along with the rest of his team.. It should have been a hung jury for 1st degree it was 10 not guilty and 2 guilty..What happened?

• dee
      Jul 12 2011

I did not watch the Greta, interview. I knew that I would not be able to bare any more ignorant statements from these jurors. However, I did read the essence of the interview and I laughed out loud…I really do not think these jurors know just how ignorant they sound when they make statments like, “we really wanted to convict” or “the prosecution did not prove motive” or “I did not say she was innocent” oops and of course “we do not know how she died”…all of which are not elements of the case. It only proves that the case wasl lost when these folks were seated as jurors.

• offthecuff
      Jul 12 2011

I find the foreman’s viewpoint of George shocking considering Jennifer Ford was very adamant that no juror considered George.

I think they should have spent more time together after they deliberated and before they gave the verdict, so that they could get their stories straight.

7. Rob
    Jul 12 2011

Andrea, your top ten maddening issues are so true. We, who have followed this case for three years, have seen how Baez and company have switched gears so many times. The jury did not take the time to go over all the evidence, and Baez put so much false information out there that it is no wondering this jury became confused. I wonder why Judge Perry allowed the pool drowning in to the trial, since there was no evidence of a drowning. It is very sad that the jury believed George had something to do with Caylee’s death since there was no evidence of such an occurrence.

• Jul 12 2011

If only the jurors had given Casey the same consideration they gave George. They thought George had something to hide because he, they believed, lied. Gee, could Casey have had something to hide for her lying? The latter was a proven, the former was speculation.

• Jul 12 2011

Absolutely, Sherry! Well said…. (good night all….sweet dreams…..!)

• NancyB
        Jul 13 2011

Sherry, Your comment is profound, If only…
        #11 actually stated that they even thought George may have murdered Caylee,

8. dee
    Jul 13 2011

Andrea:
    Take a look at this article. It reflects precisely what I feel about the jury.