August 9, 2011

Leiby Kletzky, Caylee and randomness

I wrote about this case a month, or so, ago and realized that I never followed up on what is currently happening in the case.
Murder suspect, Levi Aron, appeared with his defense attorneys in a Brooklyn court last week to plea “not guilty” to the charges of kidnapping, murder and dismemberment of eight year old, Leiby Kletzky. (Those are not the official charges, they represent the crimes.)
Another significant update regarding this case is that Aron has been found to be mentally competent to stand trial.
The child, Leiby Kletzky, was brutally murdered by stranger Levi Aron, as little Leiby was just trying to find his way home.  On the day he disappeared, Leiby’s parents, for the first time ever, allowed him to walk from day camp all by himself to meet his parents.
It was an important day for 8 year old Leiby.  He was anxious to have a little independence, and his parents finally agreed to allow him to walk by himself.  Though they insisted on waiting for him at a designated spot along the way.  Leiby walked about seven blocks and became lost.  Tragically, he asked suspect Levi Aron for directions.
It is terribly, terribly tragic, as most murders of children are.  This crime,  however, is so heinous and disturbing, it is is difficult to fathom.  The case has garnered a great deal of sympathy from around the world, and especially in Brooklyn, NY, where the crime occurred.
The eyes of a murderer?

Murder suspect Levi Aron.

Do the eyes of this murderer tell of his crimes?
Do the eyes in this photograph look like a man who is sorry for his crimes, as he has purportedly said in the recent past; expressing his regret and sadness?
Even though we don’t see the man’s eyes straight on, there is something about those eyes and the glare that is frightening.
People who work in jails with prisoners or inmates, often say that there’s something different in the eyes of a killer.  There’s a blank, vacant coldness behind the eyes of a killer, many have said.
I once toured the Miami Dade County Jail and saw a notorious serial rapist and murderer who was really scary to encounter.  I can’t remember his name right now.  It was eerie to see  him, like in a zoo, behind bars.  And it was odd because, I remember how everything about him – the way he walked, and stood, the tilt of his head, and the way he stared gave him away.  You could actually see the evil in him.  It’s unnerving to encounter pure evil like that.
This dangerous criminal was held in isolation but was allowed an hour a day to exercise in a small yard outside of his cell.  When I was touring the jail that day, instead of exercising, he paced and paced and paced in circles, then abruptly stopped and stared into space.
I saw his eyes.  And he looked my way, right at me.  Even though he was behind a set of double bars, seeing him and looking in his face was terrifying.
Back to Levi Aron!  (I got off topic for a moment!)  His attorneys are claiming mental illness.  They say he is a very sick man; he hears voices and hallucinates.  It remains to be seen if his plea will include insanity.
There will be a status hearing in October.  In the meantime, Aron is being held in Bellvue Hospital in the psychiatric ward.
This case is horrible; so senseless and so cruel.
Caylee
Today would have been Caylee Anthony’s sixth birthday, had she lived.
WFTV.com have a video of George and Cindy releasing balloons to commemorate the day. It was touching to see, and of course it was very sad.  Both George and Cindy were treated very kindly during the event by the crowd.  There were many well-wishers there.
Maybe it is just me, but why must everything the Anthony’s do be followed by the media?  Granted, this is a sad and important day for the family and the community who cared about the death of little Caylee, to me it seems a bit odd how everything related to this case has to be publicized.
I suppose, I’m just as much to blame as I am fascinated by this story and have written extensively about it.    I simply wonder why everything must be such a public event?
I don’t mean to criticize the publicity, I am questioning why so much publicity and media attention?
What ever happened to grieving in private?
Has it become more about publicity and on-camera time than respect and remembrance?

1. Aug 10 2011

I could only watch so much of the news on the balloon release because all I could think of was how Cindy perverted justice for her grandbaby. Add to that-they want to call that spot a memorial site-it was NOT for anything I would want to have memorialized.

Thank you for the update on Leiby’s case. I pray the little guy will get his justice due.

• Aug 10 2011

Oh me too, Sherry. I think justice will be served in this case, I really do. The evidence is pretty darn clear, and there’s enough of it. Both parties (defense and prosecution), seem to want a quick trial, so that’s helpful, too.

2. Aug 10 2011

That photo of Levi Aron, or my little screen, makes it hard to see, but what is that behind his head? (looks like a pair of baby eyes, sucking a thumb??). I got out a magnifying glass and still cannot make it out. What is that?

• Aug 10 2011

It is the side of a bald man’s head – he is standing off behind and is also wearing glasses

His image is blurred due to him not being in focus of the camera

• Aug 10 2011

LOL! I had to go back and look at the picture through my phone, and it is hard to distinguish what it is!

3. CptKD
    Aug 10 2011

His eyes look just like the eyes of Caylee Marie’s MURDERER ….

• Trubisha
      Aug 10 2011

I noticed that right away! If you use your hand or a paper to look just at his right eye…to us the eye on the left…it looks eerily familiar.

• Aug 10 2011

Hey CptKD, so good to see ya! Yes, those blank eyes…. Casey has them too, I agree.

4. Aug 10 2011

This is something I don’t understand – why would anyone want to memorialize the spot where a baby was thrown out for trash and left to rot?

Why not pick a spot in a park, in the sunshine? Or create a play ground for other children to play on?

Why a swamp?

Caylee isn’t there anymore, Thank God

• Aug 10 2011

Kim, I agree with you wholeheartedly. To memorialize that place, because of the reasons you mention, is terrible…. Maybe people are connected to the place because it was, in essence, the burial ground for the little sweetheart. It could be that people want to embrace that place because it’s her final resting place, and since she’s not buried anywhere, people cannot visit her grave.

Regardless, I agree with you – it’s a swamp – not a place a child should EVER be! And, like you say, she was not / is not there….

5. Aug 10 2011

Thank you Kim, for describing the “what is it?”, LOL! I can see the other man’s side view now (that was plain freaky, otherwise). And I totally agree about the memorial site. Your idea about a Children’s Park, brilliant idea! However, my feeling is, unless the Anthonys can financially profit, they’re not interested in such a memorial. How sad the truth can be sometimes.

6. Aug 10 2011

RahRah, I wondered how the heck you got that picture out of what’s there. Then I took another look, and I see what you saw! Optical illusion!

I totally agree with you, Kim, about “Why a swamp?” Some things that have been done in my neck o’ the woods, as a memorial to a child, is to put a new bench in a park or at a playground, and have a plaque attached to it, dedicating it to the child. Other times, I’ve seen new play structures added to playgrounds/parks with a memorial plaque attached.

• Aug 10 2011

Hey Kitt – that’s really what should have occurred in this case…. Memorialize a beautiful place where Caylee would be happy. If the area is there, in that stretch of swamp, people will be forced to pass the Anthony home, too. I don’t know if that’s such a good idea…..

7. Aug 10 2011

Well, I feel better knowing that what I saw is not what I saw, lol, it gave me goosebumps. And, what Andrea said about the eyes of evil, I’ve run across those people, who has made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, kind of evil, and eyes of no soul. ~shivers & the willies!