November 25, 2011

weekly photo challenge (from Orlando): family

I spent Thanksgiving in Orlando with my Mom and brother, Tim.  We’ve had a wonderful time but have to go home tomorrow…..

We decided not to cook Thanksgiving dinner and went out for a lovely dinner at the Radison,  Celebration close to Disney World.  We drove all around Disney to get to the Radison, and I have to tell you that Disney is mammoth.   It looks nothing like it did in the early 90’s when I was last there.

I can’t begin to describe the area around Disney except to say it’s beyond big; it spreads out everywhere – as far as you can see. It’s more than just great marketing, it’s more than a magical community.  It’s like a religion without spirituality.  It’s all idolatry and icons.  I’m not knocking it, but it’s so everywhere and so in your face.

Anyway, our dinner was very good.  It was a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the wonderful fixings.  And we left feeling full and happy!

Regarding this photo.  I found it on a bookshelf in my brother’s house and thought it would fit this week’s photo challenge.

My father took the picture in 1971, the year Disney opened.  It was our first visit; we were enthralled by everything!

1971 My Brothers at Disney World

The boy on the right, is Tom, my lawyer brother, when he was about six years old.  Tom seems to be consoling “Happy” of the Seven Dwarfs.  It’s like he’s saying, “Not to worry, Happy, just don’t talk and I’ll get ya out on bail, good buddy.

Tim, my law enforcement agent brother in his Miami Dolphins shirt – Paul Warfield was #42, seems to be saying “C’mon Happy, the gig’s up, I’m taking you in, bud.”  (We laugh about the fact that one brother arrests the bad guys, the other defends them.)

I love this picture and I remember when it was taken.  At the time I was being mauled by some tall guy in a Tigger suit.  I have those pictures somewhere at home.  My mom reminded me tonight about that very affectionate tiger.  His paws were wrapped tightly around me in a giant bear hug.  Disney World was all touchy-feely, love and happiness, then.  I wonder if it’s still like that?  I wonder if the characters wander around like that now?  It’s been years since I’ve been there.

So, although I didn’t take the original picture, I took a picture of it with my Iphone yesterday, so I guess that counts!

And, well….. I do love this little picture.  Don’t they look so cute in their little shorts and socks?

I like to take a stroll down memory lane, don’t you?

1. Nov 25 2011

The nice thing about eating out is you don’t have to do the dishes.

• Nov 25 2011

Hi Connie! Oh my, that’s absolutely the truth! It’s very nice to let someone else do the cooking and the dishes, too!

2. Nov 25 2011

The only Disneyland I visited was that one in Hongkong. They said it’s smaller, but I don’t know coz I haven’t been to any other Disneys. I wish I could visit Orlando in my lifetime 🙂

• Nov 28 2011

Hi Nelson – I hope you do get to visit Orlando, too! And I would love to visit Hongkong more than anything!

3. Nov 25 2011

a perfect moment – and yes, it counts =)
    thanks for sharing

4. Nov 26 2011

Love the picture with the dwarf. It reminds me of the many disney characters I loved as a child.

• Nov 28 2011

Hey Yaduh…. I agree – I still love them all too. I think it’s good to still have the kids heart beating in us!

5. Nov 26 2011

Great Fun moments 🙂

• Nov 28 2011

Hey Jake – thanks so much… I haven’t had a chance yet to visit your site…. but I will before this night is out!

6. Nov 26 2011

What a cool photo! It’s amazing how we can immediately be transferred back in time with one photograph. Love it!

• Nov 28 2011

Hey Zingaling! it’s so true that a photo can certainly be trans-formative! And, Disney World then looks nothing like it does now!

7. Nandini
    Nov 26 2011

Cute moment in the past, full of happiness 🙂

8. Nov 26 2011

History too can make a family. Great capture for ‘family’ and the story is equally cool. I will have to say, not cooking and heading out sounds like a great tradition in the making. : )

• Nov 28 2011

Hey there Just Ramblin… Absolutely, it’s the history before and after the moment that brings the richness, and to each a different taste of history, I think. And, boy, it was sooooo nice to not do dishes for once in my life!

9. Amar Naik
    Nov 26 2011

nice way to refresh memories 🙂
    thanks for sharing

10. Nov 28 2011

I love the “texture” of old pictures. They are vivid yet dream like.

• Nov 28 2011

Hi Brooklyn! I love really old photos too…. I especially enjoy the history wrapped up in them. 🙂

11. Dec 2 2011

As tourists from the UK in 1991 with two small children it was obligatory that we visited Disney. I thought it was massive then….

Trackbacks & Pingbacks